Firefox problems

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Firefox problems

Post by Sky »

OK, I got home and tried to pull up firefox on my computer. It would open, start to load and then the instant it finished, it would close. Kept doing it and nothing helped (restart, scan for spyware and viruses). So, I installed the latest version 1.5. Same problem, anyone got any ideas?

Win XP home
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

check bugzilla. I found my solution over there when mine wouldn't download anything. You can post on the message board as a guest. firefox does have some problems. just google bugzillla
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Re: Firefox problems

Post by frodo_biguns »

Sky wrote:OK, I got home and tried to pull up firefox on my computer. It would open, start to load and then the instant it finished, it would close. Kept doing it and nothing helped (restart, scan for spyware and viruses). So, I installed the latest version 1.5. Same problem, anyone got any ideas?

Win XP home
Disable all your anti-virus and spamware!
Then uninistall it!
Then download it again from their site and reinstall.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Do you mean uninstall all the adaware, etc... and then re-install them?
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

Sky wrote:Do you mean uninstall all the adaware, etc... and then re-install them?
No just diable them. Uninstall fireox and redownload and install it. You might have had something corrupt the original file.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Guys, still no luck. I tried everything noted above and searched through bugzilla but nothing works. Any other ideas out there? TIA.
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

It's likely a bad extension. Read this to see it helps.

Make sure you remove your profile information before you reinstall.
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

Sky wrote:Guys, still no luck. I tried everything noted above and searched through bugzilla but nothing works. Any other ideas out there? TIA.
Run this before your next install :wink:

http://www.download.com/Registry-Mechan ... 49249.html
Keeping the bath water warm.
Sky

Post by Sky »

While I appreciate your help, I am apprehensive regarding the :wink:
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

hint - listen to Donovan, ignore Fraudo
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

You've re-installed the latest version of Firefox and it still just starts up and closes down? Everything else on windows including IE runs great?

If everything else is OK, and you are currently Virus and Spyware free and you tried un-installing Firefox and re-installing it from scratch, I'd try two things. Have you logged in as a different user into your machine and tried running Firefox under that user?

Also you might have a bad DLL. You could try to run the windows dll checker to see if it needs to re-install a corrupt dll. Alternatively, just re-install windows.

I've had similar problems with other programs but usually a reinstall fixes the problem.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

ET makes a good point. One of my laptop users somehow got corrupted, and several programs are now acting odd. These same programs work normally on other user desktops on the same computer.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Sky

Post by Sky »

frodo_biguns wrote:
Run this before your next install :wink:

http://www.download.com/Registry-Mechan ... 49249.html
To everyone who helped, thanks. I tried everything you guys noted and some other options I found on Bugzilla. Nothing worked so I tried this and it fixed it, so Frodo, thanks a lot.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

I'm surprised that worked, since it only fixes the first six section of the registry in trial mode.

There are a LOT of bugs in firefox. I think they release the newer versions too soon. The browser is getting more complex, with a lot of hacks available for it and with that complexity comes problems.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Sky

Post by Sky »

I agree with you there, the number of problems I found references to on FF 1.5 was daunting. I know they are trying to usurp IE's stranglehold but they may be losing more customers than they bring in.

On the Reg Mechanic thing, I too was surprised it worked at the "free" level but I was down to two options, the mechanic or formatting so I am just glad it worked.