Season outlooks

PING!

The Tourney has begun!

Moderators: Left Seater, Mr T

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Season outlooks

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Infield - The infield will definatly be the strength of the OU baseball team this year. Ryan Rollinger returns after turning down the money accompanying draft choice by the Cards to return to Oklahoma for his senior season. Ryan will be seen mostly at 3B but also plays SS and a little left field; was also second team all Big 12 at SS. Raley and Rodriguez will probably fill in the middle at SS and 2B. Both are suspect at bat but good in the field. Kevin Smith is a corner infilder that started as a 1st basemen coming in but has been converted into a solid 3 bagger. Reza should also see extensive PT at various infield positions. Shackleford returns as the starting catcher.

This group is said to be the best group of infielders since the storied 1994 campaign of 25 men pulling on the same rope. Those are pretty lofty expectations and I for one don't expect them to fulfilled.

Outfield - The outfield is strong this year with three returning starters in Kody Kaiser, Chucky Caufiled, and Joe Dunnigan. The roster also sports two others returning (not including Rohlinger) and two newcomers. Kody Kaiser is definatly the class of this group. He should be in the minors working his way up but Sunny Golloway is his uncle and it has always been his dream to play for him. Rumor has always had it that he was the reason we brought Galloway on under legendary coach Larry Cochell a couple of years ago, his emminent transfer or bolting to to the proffesional ranks might also have been the reason that Golloway was brought in as the HC after the Gene debacle. Joe Dunnigan is a star in the making; kid is massive and fast!!! Joe is the player whom the, now infamous, "he isn't a mvscal" comments were refferring to when Larry Cochell spoke to ESPN commentators before the Nebraska series. Chucky Caufield came to Oklahoma on football scholarship but after suffering an injury, speaking to his parents, and disscussing things with the Oklahoma coaching staffs it was decided that he would best suited to focus on a future on baseball. The baseball team promptly stepped up and offered him a baseball schollie. He is a burner when he isn't injured.

Pitching - Dear God pitching. Definatly the weak link on this team. Outside of Sandoval and Savage, who is a closer, there isn't much that here that gives me happy thoughts. Infact there isn't much to say about our pitching other than we have a staff. :oops: If there is a position on the field that this absolutly can't occur it is here and we will be in trouble for it. On the bright side Oklahoma has one of the best pitching coaches in the country in Corral; hopefully he can turn this rag tag group in to a cohessive staff with purpose.

Overall - Fielding should be this teams strength. There is enough talent at the plate to be in every game but the question is wheather the pitching staff can do their fair share. Outside of pitching the major concern is the schedule; it's deadly. The last month of the season is almost entirely on the road with the exception of the Kansas State series in Norman and the half and half series with okie lite in Tulsa and OKC. During the span on the road OU makes trips to Lubbock, Lawrence, Witchita, and Lincoln. The stretch leading into the road trip is no picnic either with home stands against Mizzou, TCU, and Rice set to take the wind out of our sails even before we get on the road stretch. Oklahoma gets many a series they need at home this year, that are winnable series in conference on the road and many a series that we have little shot at in our backyard; stealing a game from texass in Norman, this year, is even more critical than in most for us. Sweeping Baylor and Kansas State are almost musts for this team to make any noise this season. A trip to Tempe, for what seems like the 120th year in a row, to play/get our asses kicked by Arizona State is another highlight. Wish I could see us in the Rice tournament but I can't make it out there and I suspect it won't be shown over the zone. Probably better off not watching Rice drubb us anyways and I'm sure I'll get a full report from Lefty on it.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I am not ready to break us down completely as of yet. We will pitch and play defense as always, but how well will be the question. We are still young, but many of the guys have experience.

Hopefully, CUSA will provide more of a challenge than the WAC did. All we really had to get us ready for post season were those Tuesday games against the Big XII and SEC teams. Funny that A&M only wants to play us once this season. So in their place we have had to fill with Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

I see a sig bet with plenty of you Big XII types, including you Suncoast.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

FSU has some great pitching depth heading into the season. Our closer from last year, Chambliss, is now the #1 starter and I question whether the guy has the stamina to go more than 5 innings. I thought the starting rotation was fine and that FSU would have been better to keep him in the bullpen.

FSU plays some great D and the new freshman SS Buster will be an AA by the time he is done. FSU lacks power at the plate and that is where this team will suffer. I think the pitching and D will keep them in most games but if they get caught in a slugfest, they have no chance. Only 4 guys return that hit over .300 last year.

I see FSU winning the ACC, but will have to find some much needed power in order to break on through to the CWS.