8 in a row!

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

8 in a row!

Post by M2 »

Pretty easy to see why Notre Damn has lost 8 straight bowl games...they are always overrated and invited to bowls when their record doesn't justify it, just as they were yesterday. Weis is coach of the year...haha! The three throws at the end of the half when they had no momentum and which allowed Ohio to get the ball back is not "Coach of the Year" stuff. Plus, these guys are Ty's recruits not his...Ty would have won 9 too.

If you watched the Stanfurd game you knew that ND was overrated BIG TIME.

I am still waiting for Musberger to get off his Notre Dame kneepads, long enough to point out that Weis was winning with Willingham's recruits. If you listened to Brent's commentary, you'd have thought Weis divinely virgin birthed his players last Christmas at the feet of Touchdown Jesus.

Instead of blathering on about "next year's" incoming recruiting class, BM could have interrupted his unholy communion with Charlie Weis' neither regions to point out that Mr. Charlie's feast was prepared from Ty's larder.

m2
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

I'm not going to take the bait on this one, but you can't logically argue any of the shit you threw up in your last post. But, that hasn't stopped you before. Rock on wind chime man.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

USC beat them on the last play. Your game was over halfway thru the third.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Re: 8 in a row!

Post by JayDuck »

m2 wrote:
If you listened to Brent's commentary, you'd have thought Weis divinely virgin birthed his players last Christmas at the feet of Touchdown Jesus.

m2 may be a tool, but I :lol: ed at this one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

m2 wrote:I am still waiting for Musberger to get off his Notre Dame kneepads, long enough to point out that Weis was winning with Willingham's recruits. If you listened to Brent's commentary, you'd have thought Weis divinely virgin birthed his players last Christmas at the feet of Touchdown Jesus.
Excellent.

And if anyone thinks this can't be "locically argued," then props on being the Board Bitch's bitch.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian

Post by Killian »

Dinsdale wrote:
m2 wrote:I am still waiting for Musberger to get off his Notre Dame kneepads, long enough to point out that Weis was winning with Willingham's recruits. If you listened to Brent's commentary, you'd have thought Weis divinely virgin birthed his players last Christmas at the feet of Touchdown Jesus.
Excellent.

And if anyone thinks this can't be "locically argued," then props on being the Board Bitch's bitch.
Do you want to try to argue it? Because I guarantee you can't, and if you try, you will look foolish.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I didn't watch every last second, to be sure, but I certainly did hear Douche Mustyburger riding Weiss' jock pretty hard without any mention of his predecessor's recruits. I might have missed it, but yeah...not one mention as far as I can remember.

You'll note that M2's commentary was only about Mustyburger's comments, and really had nothing to do with anything ND or its coaches did besides recruiting.

So, if we strip all of the funny commentary, we have...I'll paraphrase (and bear in mind that not just anybody has the nad to try and paraphrase M2...RACK ME!) :
M2, if he was a little more coherent, wrote:Musberger made little mention of the fact that it was Winningham's recruits that led ND to their successful season.
You're disputing this? Maybe you had the Second Audio Program going on your tube, but I didn't hear any Musberger mention of Willingham and his recruiting, either. Maybe he said it really really quietly?
Killian

Post by Killian »

Tell me, when USC was kicking Iowa's ass up and down the field, after Carson Palmer won the Heisman, did anyone mention Paul Hackett? When OU was beating FSU for the NC, did anyone mention John Blake? When OSU was beating Miami, did anyone mention John Cooper?

The answer to all of the above is: no. Why? Because those coaches weren't there because they couldn't get the job done with said players. No one mentiond that in Willingham's best year, he was winning with Bob Davie's recruits. Because Davie sucked dick and was fired.

When a team is successful with a first or second year head coach, it's usually because the new guy can get a shit load more production out of the old guys players.

Do you want to argue m2's point that Ty would have won 9 games, also?
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Popcorn........check.

Cherry Icee.......check.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, if I were you, I'd be changing the subject and mixing in as many nosequiturs as possible, too.

The points you brought up have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with M2's statement, now do they? The issue wasn't whether ANY OTHER broadcasts mention previous coaches, now was it? There was no mention of USC in the post, now was there? Ditto for OSU. Nor was it mentioned why that coach may or may not have had a good year.

What was said, ONCE AGAIN, was that Musberger made no mention that Weiss had success with Willingham's recruits. No mention of whether other broadcasts do this or not. Merely that Musberger made no mention...to which you said that "no logical argument" could be made, or words to that æffect. Sorry if YOU can't make a logical argument that something that actually happened, actually happened. What next? "No logical argument can be made that man landed on the moon?"

If you want to read more into it than that, it's certainly your perogotive, but don't think that you're magically inserting text between the lines for the rest of us, who took the post at face value for what it was -- a setup to drop "If you listened to Brent's commentary, you'd have thought Weis divinely virgin birthed his players last Christmas at the feet of Touchdown Jesus," which had a great deal of comedic value.

And the REALLY funny part, is that the joke wasn't at all at the expense of ND, it was at the expense of Brent Musberger. ND fan has his panties up in a bunch, and if someone even uses the letters "N" and "D" together in the same sentence, even if it's a first-grader reciting the alphabet, Domertard is getting all defensive. I'd defend my team too, if it had to work bullshit loopholes to get into bowl games where they get their ass kicked every time they dared to take the field (8 straight...OUCH!...Oregon State? In their once-every-40-years-bowl...OUCH!).

But, you really shouldn't let ANOTHER bowl loss affect your ability to read English.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Your point: Musburger didn't mention that Weis was winning with Willingham's players.

My point: Weis isn't winning with Willingham's players, he's winning because he is a good coach.

Did Musburger say that w/r/t Willingham? No. Again, my reasoning as to why it wasn't said is in my previous post. Is this ever said when a new coach is winning? No. It's used as a crutch if they suck (see: Pitt) as an excuse ("Wait until he gets his players in there.")

This fact doesn't need to be brought up in any games a first year coach has because it's a stupid fucking point. Unless you're an idiot, you realize that the new coach inherited anywhere from 60-85 players that he did not recruit.

So good call. You can logically argue that it wasn't said, the same as I an argue logically that the announcers didn't say a word when Woody sucker punched the Clemson linebacker. The argument as to weather either should have been mentiond can't be argued, logically.
JayDuck
Quack Whore

Post by JayDuck »

Killian wrote:My point: Weis isn't winning with Willingham's players,
I think Weis is a far superior coach than Willingham....that being said, you lose this argument for the simple fact that "Your Point" is false.

Weis isn't winning with Willingham's players?

Did they clone these guys in the offseason?
Killian

Post by Killian »

JayDuck wrote:
Killian wrote:My point: Weis isn't winning with Willingham's players,
I think Weis is a far superior coach than Willingham....that being said, you lose this argument for the simple fact that "Your Point" is false.

Weis isn't winning with Willingham's players?

Did they clone these guys in the offseason?
My point, is that he isn't winning because they were recruited by Willingham, he is winning because he is a good coach. As I stated above, everyone inherits other coaches players. If the team suddenly starts winning, it's because of the new coach(es) getting more out of said players.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I now understand the shelf life of the "other coaches' players" concept.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Uhhhhh......ND was 1-2 vs top 25 competition. I thought they were extremely overrated. A lot of their wins came against not-so-good teams.

Easy to LOGICALLY argue.....look at their schedule.

-rex
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Dinsdale wrote:
Excellent.

I listened to Brent's commentary too, and all I can say is that m2 must have been listening to a different game than the one I was listening to if he thought Burnt Cheeseburger was blowing ND. As I said in my recap thread, all that dude was missing was a tOSU cheerleader uniform.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
BraveFan
Fantasy Fuckstick

Post by BraveFan »

the same as I an argue logically that the announcers didn't say a word when Woody sucker punched the Clemson linebacker.
I would argue that it was not a "sucker punch," and furthermore, that he deserved to be hit.

Not to get off the subject, but Woody grew up and coached during a time when a coach could knock a player upside the head and nobody would hear a word about it.

That Clemson douchebag had just picked off a pass at a juncture in the game when all OSU had to do was play it safe and kick the easy field goal for the win. Instead, Schlichter threw an ill-advised pass that got picked off..... and then the guy starting taunting Woody and "his boys" on the sideline. He deserved to be knocked upside the facemask.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
BraveFan
Fantasy Fuckstick

Post by BraveFan »

I listened to Brent's commentary too, and all I can say is that m2 must have been listening to a different game than the one I was listening to if he thought Burnt Cheeseburger was blowing ND. As I said in my recap thread, all that dude was missing was a tOSU cheerleader uniform.
I think all of you ND fans just have selective hearing. I'm not sure what the NBC broadcasts are like for you guys..... but jeezus..... what do you expect out of an announcer?

BM gave credit where credit was due for both teams. It just so happens that OSU made a lot more big plays than ND.... so he logically had more opportunities to "talk up" OSU. But he said a ton of positive things about ND as well.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

JayDuck wrote:
m2 wrote:
If you listened to Brent's commentary, you'd have thought Weis divinely virgin birthed his players last Christmas at the feet of Touchdown Jesus.

m2 may be a tool, but I :lol: ed at this one
I laughed too, makes you wonder where he perjured it from
Killian

Post by Killian »

BraveFan wrote:I think all of you ND fans just have selective hearing. I'm not sure what the NBC broadcasts are like for you guys..... but jeezus..... what do you expect out of an announcer?
Because most ND fans think the NBC announcers suck, and are biased the other way. I'm not saying Terry is one of them, but take a look at NDNation next year after the first home game. You will here calls for Hayden and Hammond's head because they are anti-ND. I swear to God.

TRex, why do you keep popping your head into the ND threads to say they were overrated? I thought you didn't care about them? 1-2 vs. ranked teams? Fine. I perfer to look at the season as 9-3 with the three losses comming by a combined 20 points. Damn good considering what everyone in the country, outside of ND fans, expected from this team.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Killian wrote:
BraveFan wrote:I think all of you ND fans just have selective hearing. I'm not sure what the NBC broadcasts are like for you guys..... but jeezus..... what do you expect out of an announcer?
Because most ND fans think the NBC announcers suck, and are biased the other way. I'm not saying Terry is one of them, but take a look at NDNation next year after the first home game. You will here calls for Hayden and Hammond's head because they are anti-ND. I swear to God.
That's true. In fact, last time the contract came up for renewal, there was talk on ND Nation that ND should dump NBC and switch to Fox for that very reason.

My personal opinion on NBC, and I've posted this before: NBC has a difficult job, in that, unlike any other network, their TV contract is tied to one team. It's a difficult balancing act to try to call the game in an unbiased manner, on the one hand, and recognize the rather obvious fact as to which side their bread is buttered on, on the other hand. I don't see how they could do a better job of that under the circumstances. My biggest beef with NBC's coverage of ND football is that, compared to other networks, they absolutely suck at updating scores of other games (that, and the fact that the guitar rendition of the ND Victory March that they play heading into commercials is godawful, as ND Nation has pointed out. If they want a musical sound drop in that spot, a simple recording of the band playing it would be much better.)

As a case in point, I recall NBC's announcers saying, during the '93 Fredo game (not sure if it was Hammond and Haden, NBC still had the NFL back then and used to rotate announcers for ND as a result) that ND's shot at a national championship could be over if they lost the game. If they were unabashed ND homers, they probably would have been lobbying for ND to stay at #2 if they lost to Fredo, much as FSU's team had done the week earlier after losing to ND.

As for Brent, he's too much of a cheerleader for my taste. And btw, I'm hardly the first one to mention, either on this board or elsewhere, that he's a Big 10 homer.
TRex, why do you keep popping your head into the ND threads to say they were overrated? I thought you didn't care about them? 1-2 vs. ranked teams? Fine. I perfer to look at the season as 9-3 with the three losses comming by a combined 20 points. Damn good considering what everyone in the country, outside of ND fans, expected from this team.
Trixie claims he doesn't hate ND, but it's abundantly clear that after UF, his second favorite team is whoever is playing ND. He was the one claiming that Miami would beat ND on a neutral field (this after Miami got smacked by Georgia Tech in their own crib with a berth in the ACC championship game on the line). I'll bet you a dollar that he still says this.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MSUFAN
Spineless Pussy

Post by MSUFAN »

M2; not only is domerfan the biggest pos in the T1B realm, the fucking teams they played this year had like 62 fucking losses! 6 per team average!

Total farce, how they got that BCS game over Oregon. I guess that's what happens when you Chancellor bitches and whines like a Boy Pedophile to the committee about how they want in on the BCS, and drew up a god damn "contract" about wins and shit. Meanwhile, a TEN win Ducks team sat!

Just more reasons to hate the fucking Irish.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

MSUFAN wrote:M2; not only is domerfan the biggest pos in the T1B realm, the fucking teams they played this year had like 62 fucking losses! 6 per team average!

Total farce, how they got that BCS game over Oregon. I guess that's what happens when you Chancellor bitches and whines like a Boy Pedophile to the committee about how they want in on the BCS, and drew up a god damn "contract" about wins and shit. Meanwhile, a TEN win Ducks team sat!

Just more reasons to hate the fucking Irish.
Uhhh, Babs, you might have a stronger argument if Oregon hadn't gotten punked by a 4-loss team in the Holiday Bowl. Just sayin'.

Back to m2's original point, I suppose I have to plead guilty to selective hearing at times, but I think everyone on this board is guilty of that at times as well. I remember one thread on Scobode devolved into "Which school does ESPN hate the most?" Wouldn't have happened, obviously, without selective hearing.
MSUFAN
Spineless Pussy

Post by MSUFAN »

Doesn't matter, TinC. That's AFTER the fact. Hindsight is 20/20, right!?
Fact is, Domer didn't deserve that game. If OR. was in theer, I'm pretty confident they bring their "A" game.
T REX wrote:Uhhhhh......ND was 1-2 vs top 25 competition. I thought they were extremely overrated. A lot of their wins came against not-so-good teams.

Easy to LOGICALLY argue.....look at their schedule.

-rex
And don't forget their first loss, to Michigan State. As Jason Teague waltzzed right into TouchDown Jesus in overtime, after MSU was up 21 big ones, mid 3rd! Letting off the gas, and in cruise mod, no doubt.

That loss came 24 hours after Fat Ass Weis told a fri Domer pep rally
"I'LL SEE YOU ALL BACK HERE TOMORROW, AFTER WE'RE 3-0!"
This pos shit doughboy's got the nads to call out a team that's been mowing their overgrown ND turf with their asses for 5 straight games in their crib!? We planed old Sparty at their 40 yard line! :lol: Want me to pull up a quick PIC of it, Domer!? :lol:

Oh, and just try and come up to East lansing next year and do the same. Go 'head. I'd love to see it! Stanton's going to light your asses up again!

Dins. Don't argue this hole, Killian. He's about the biggest joke on the board. (Save OUskull, of course).

Thanks for the sid. Dins!
ND fan has his panties up in a bunch, and if someone even uses the letters "N" and "D" together in the same sentence, even if it's a first-grader reciting the alphabet, Domertard is getting all defensive. I'd defend my team too, if it had to work bullshit loopholes to get into bowl games where they get their ass kicked every time they dared to take the field
^ ^ Rack the shit outta that! ^
Last edited by MSUFAN on Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

I think going 9-3 your first year as a Notre Dame coach is outstanding.

Sincerely,
Ty Willingham
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
MSUFAN
Spineless Pussy

Post by MSUFAN »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:I think going 9-3 your first year as a Notre Dame coach is outstanding.

Sincerely,
Ty Willingham
'Nother Rack! ^

Pussy starting to get red, Killian?! :lol:

Time to make the doughnutz!!!!
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

For once, I'm actually glad Babs posted. I skimmed through Dins' post at first, and missed the part I wanted to respond to:
Dinsdale wrote:ND fan has his panties up in a bunch, and if someone even uses the letters "N" and "D" together in the same sentence, even if it's a first-grader reciting the alphabet, Domertard is getting all defensive. I'd defend my team too, if it had to work bullshit loopholes to get into bowl games where they get their ass kicked every time they dared to take the field
ND has to work bullshit loopholes to get into the BCS? :meds:

The talk on this board was that the BCS should be (although we all know it isn't) a meritocracy. If it were a meritocracy, the top 8 teams would get in. ND isn't guaranteed to get in unless ND is Top Six. Therefore, if the BCS were a meritocracy, ND would have been in. For somebody who is constantly running education smack, a little simple math shouldn't be too hard to follow.

The BCS is of, by and for the six conferences, period. It's set up to guarantee that the champions of those conferences all go to a bowl game with a major payout, regardless of all else (and incidentally, it does set up a playoff, but only for the top 2 teams). Did the BCS throw ND a bone? Yes, but only because:
  • ND arguably has the largest fanbase in the country; and
  • They knew that college football's fanbase would never accept as legitimate any system which purports to crown a national champion, but which systematically excludes ND right out of the gate merely because ND is an independent.
That being said, the bone they threw to ND pales in comparison to the bone they threw to their own conference champions. FSU '05, Pitt '04 and Michigan '04 (not to mention FSU '02) ring a bell? ND wouldn't have even been eligible for the BCS in the situation of any of those teams.
Oregon State? In their once-every-40-years-bowl...
This coming from Oregon fan, of all people, is beyond :lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Huh?

Last I checked, Oregon has won more bowls in the last 4 years than ND has won in the last 10...care to rethink this?

Dude, laugh all you want -- this wasn't about the Ducks, it was about the Domers, and how they hosted the coming-out party for the team that was THE WORST team in D1 for the 30 years prior, and possibly the worst team in the modern history of D1 ball. Even after some limited succes over a season or two, they were still a joke...until ND put them on the map. So yeah, I'd try and deflect that into a Ducks take, as well.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:
Huh?

Last I checked, Oregon has won more bowls in the last 4 years than ND has won in the last 10...care to rethink this?
Just a dig at your history, 's'all. As I said in another thread, about your take that you should be melting after the Holiday Bowl, 10-win seasons at your school are about as common as 70-degree days in South Bend during the month of January.
Dude, laugh all you want -- this wasn't about the Ducks, it was about the Domers, and how they hosted the coming-out party for the team that was THE WORST team in D1 for the 30 years prior, and possibly the worst team in the modern history of D1 ball. So yeah, I'd try and deflect that into a Ducks take, as well.
Link? You say Oregon State was the worst team in D-1A, Big 12 fan says it was Kansas State pre-Snyder, and we all know that Northwestern was a case study in futility pre-Barnett. Hell, even Dennis Green, who had a fair amount of success at a number of other places, both at the college and pro levels, couldn't win there.

But I digress. The point was to respond to your contention that ND made a "bullshit sweetheart" deal with the BCS (not sure if that's the exact language you used, but it's fairly close). Truth be told, if it was all about finding the path of least resistance to a BCS bid, ND would be best served by joining the Big East, particularly in light of the Big East's current alignment. And don't think for a moment that we couldn't do it in a heartbeat if we wanted to. We're already a Big East member in every sport except football, and the Big East would jump at a chance to get ND's prestige associated with their conference, not to mention a national TV appearance for every member of the conference every 2-3 years or so, depending on how the schedule were ultimately worked out.

Granted, we'd have to share the BCS revenue if we did that, but going forward, even that would be a non-issue, in all likelihood. Beginning next year we get only $4.5 million for an at-large BCS bid. The Big East champ will continue to get $14-18 million. I'm sure that if we wanted to join the Big East, we could negotiate a provision where we'd get $4.5 million out of the $14-18 million paid out to the BCS, at least in years where we won the Big East.

To say that we have a bullshit sweetheart deal and/or preferential treatment from the BCS, in light of all of that, is just plain asinine.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Link? You say Oregon State was the worst team in D-1A
Not sure I have a conclusive link, but up through the late-90's, all you had to do was turn on the local sports station around Civil War time, and the hosts would roll out W/L stats for all of the major D1 doormats, and Oregon State ran away with it for the period from about 1968(about the beginning of the remarkable descent) and 1998(when Riley brought them from the ashes). If my memory serves correctly(fat chance), they averaged slightly less than one win per season for a 30 year stretch...THAT'S futility.

As an aside, they were a fun team to root for back in those days. While I've always been a Ducks fan, OSU was so harmless, that you couldn't help but to pull for them with a grin and a chuckle. And they'd just about pay you to go to a game back then. When I was in high school, I think it was 1984(could have been 83), I saw a great one. Back then, that one sportswriter whose name I forget, wrote his weekly "Bottom Ten" column (anybody remember that? Funny as hell), which would always be published in the paper the same day as the AP and UPI polls came out. Oregon State rarely gave up the #1 position for all of the years dude wrote that column, and that week was no exception(I think Oregon State and Oregon finished #1 and #2 in his final rankings one season, but Oregon's woes were a temporary condition). That saturday, OSU was playing #1 ranked UCLA (which the columnist said had never happened since he began writing it). I'll be damned if OSU didn't walk all over the juggernaut that was UCLA at the time. Kicked their ass up one side and down the other...in the first half. The second half rolled around, and UCLA cranked off about 50 unanswered points, but damn, my 15yo ass sure got drunk off the OSU student section. Good times.

But now, Oregon Stae has mkade a couple of bowl appearances, and jeebus, to listen to their Raider-like fans, they've been there all along. Seriously. Just ask these folks...Nebraska, Oregon State...same thing. I mean, I realize that you can't spell "Lincoln" or "Corvallis" without the letters O and L, but these people don't understand why the entire nation doesn't stand up and herald the Beavers as the greatest program in NCAA history...I'll bet JayDuck will back me on that one -- Beavsfan underwent an evil metamophisis once Riley came. But they still spit on the opposing players when they walk between the bleacher sections, which is their version of a "tunnel" to the field from the locker rooms (I haven't been since the upgrade, so maybe the plkayers don't have to run a 10K race just to get from the locker room to the field anymore...I don't know).

But yes, the were the worst team statistally and realisticall for a long, long time. Until the Resers gave them cash and bailed them out, they were about to leave the PAC10, actually.

And Notre Dame's status, as much as I like to joke about it, is a double-edged sword. I think it's bullshit that they don't play by the same rules as everyone else, but on the other side of the coin, CFB is about rivalries, whether it's ND/USC or Linfield/Pacific Lutheran(greatest rivalry in D3-btw, used to be NAIA years ago). And putting ND in a conference would kill off all of its traditional rivalries, so there's that. And at the end of the day, I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to CFB and MLB. ND gets a pass...for now.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: Link? You say Oregon State was the worst team in D-1A
Not sure I have a conclusive link, but up through the late-90's, all you had to do was turn on the local sports station around Civil War time, and the hosts would roll out W/L stats for all of the major D1 doormats, and Oregon State ran away with it for the period from about 1968(about the beginning of the remarkable descent) and 1998(when Riley brought them from the ashes). If my memory serves correctly(fat chance), they averaged slightly less than one win per season for a 30 year stretch...THAT'S futility.
http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... totals.php

If my math is correct, 80-247-6 for the 30 seasons immediately preceding the season in which they went to the Fiesta Bowl (btw, they were 10-1 that year, so they definitely didn't have a bad team that year). That's bad, but probably not the worst in 1-A over that period.
Back then, that one sportswriter whose name I forget, wrote his weekly "Bottom Ten" column (anybody remember that? Funny as hell), which would always be published in the paper the same day as the AP and UPI polls came out. Oregon State rarely gave up the #1 position for all of the years dude wrote that column, and that week was no exception
I remember the Bottom Ten column, funny stuff. I first saw it in ND's student newspaper when I was a freshman in '82. Northwestern actually had a stranglehold on #1 for awhile, then they started to get good (by Northwestern's standards at the time, anyway) and he eventually had to drop them from the Bottom Ten altogether.

When I was a student at ND, they always used to announce scores of the Northwestern game (per same site as Oregon State, Northwestern's combined record during same period was 90-249-4, if my math is correct), and the student section used to cheer if Northwestern was ahead, boo if they were behind.
And Notre Dame's status, as much as I like to joke about it, is a double-edged sword. I think it's bullshit that they don't play by the same rules as everyone else, but on the other side of the coin, CFB is about rivalries,
Truth be told, ND does play by the same rules as everyone else: every team that is not in one of the six BCS conferences has the same rules for qualifying for an at-large BCS bid. That's the reason Utah got in in '04 rather than Cal. There has been a so-called "Notre Dame exception", but that was triggered only when another non-BCS team finished in the Top Six, and I don't think it's part of the new deal.

In any event, not playing in a BCS conference is a double-edged sword for ND with respect to the BCS, as well. As I've mentioned, the champions of each of those conferences get an automatic bid regardless of overall record or BCS standing. ND has to finish Top Six (will go to Top Eight next year, with the addition of a BCS game) to get a BCS bid, and has to be Top 12 to be considered for a BCS bid. Three teams in the past two years received automatic bids under circumstances in which ND could not have received a BCS bid. Like I said, it's abundantly clear that from ND's perspective, membership in the Big East would be the path of least resistance for BCS bids.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:If my math is correct, 80-247-6 for the 30 seasons immediately preceding the season in which they went to the Fiesta Bowl (btw, they were 10-1 that year, so they definitely didn't have a bad team that year).
I think quite a few of those 80 were in the gradual run-up to that Fiesta Bowl (I think 8 of them came the year immediately prior) regardless, OSU's and NW's 80 and 90 are BAD. As a younger fan in the 70's and 80's, a two win season for the Beavs was incredible...a rousing success.

I'm glad someone else remembers the Bottom Ten(which I think another writer mimicks these days). The whole using of nicknames for the week-in-week-out contenders was always funny.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Dins and Terry,

Was that Bottom Ten columnist Scott Ostler? I cannot remember.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

I don't remember the guy's name. I do remember that he had a morbid sense of humor, though -- he dropped Tylenol into the Bottom Ten after a few people were poisoned by Tylenol bottles that had been tampered with.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:I think quite a few of those 80 were in the gradual run-up to that Fiesta Bowl (I think 8 of them came the year immediately prior) regardless, OSU's and NW's 80 and 90 are BAD. As a younger fan in the 70's and 80's, a two win season for the Beavs was incredible...a rousing success.
Bad as that is, I can point you to an ongoing record of futility right now that is even worse, albeit covering a much shorter period of time. Since going to 1-A in 1999, Buffalo is 10-69. http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/di ... totals.php
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

It's too early to give Buffalo BODE, but that's laying some serious groundwork. But remember, Oregon State and Northwestern have upgraded a little, so the competition isn't as stiff as it once was.

How is Bill and Mary doing these days, anyway?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Dinsdale wrote:It's too early to give Buffalo BODE, but that's laying some serious groundwork. But remember, Oregon State and Northwestern have upgraded a little, so the competition isn't as stiff as it once was.
Keep in mind, also, that Buffalo plays in the MAC, so it's not exactly as though they're going up against the USC's, Michigan's and Ohio State's of the college football world, unlike Oregon State and Northwestern in their not-such-glory days. OTOH, there's perhaps as much, if not more, disparity in the MAC than in any other 1-A conference. The top tier MAC teams are a threat to crack at least the bottom of the Top 25; the bottom tier MAC teams (like Buffalo) are essentially glorified 1-AA schools.
Not a 1-A school, dude.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not a 1-A school, dude.
Yeah, but they were a fixture in the Bottom Ten, if I remember right. That's been so long ago, though.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

The dude who wrote the bottom 10 in the LA Times back then was Steve Harvey.
Classics were: The pentagon, Army, Navy, and Error Force.
Univeristy of Texas at Deflected paso, or intercepted paso.
Used to love reading that every week.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Laxplayer wrote:Steve Harvey.
Thank you.

I'd forgotten that the Pentagon only got one spot.

I'd also forgotten University of El Intercepted Passo.

Maybe some more of those will come back to me -- very funny stuff.