Which of these car makers is more reliable?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Poll ended at Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:39 pm

Chevy
14%
Dodge
7%
Ford
18%
Honda
29%
Mitsubishi
No votes
Pontiac
4%
Saturn
No votes
Toyota
29%
VW
No votes
Mazda
No votes

Total votes: 28

jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Which of the listed car makers have you found the cars/trucks have lasted the longest with little repairs needed? I'm shopping for my 2nd car.

My current ride a Dodge 95 Neon has lasted me very well and has not needed major repairs. In ten years of driving it only gone 86,645 miles and never been in an accident, never broken down. I'd like to buy something equally reliable, but with the Neon being discontinued next year can't just get another one cause of the resale value. I'm looking at Hondas, Toyotas and a couple GM and Ford cars right now mainly focusing on fuel economy/gas mileage and looking to spend less than $18k.
follow me on twitter: jesseheiman
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Which of these car makers is more reliable?

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

95 Neon
never broken down
Either you're lying or you should start buying lotto tickets.
go get your knife
Crack Whore

Post by go get your knife »

not Saturn

signed,
Saturn Service Technician
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

go get your knife wrote:not Saturn

signed,
Saturn Service Technician
Actually liked the Ion. Can get a 2006 with front/head/side airbags std and a good set of features for 14,350.

But looked at Honda Civic and Accord and Chevy Colbalt today as well.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Considering you'll be buying something that you'll want to use for at least the next 4 years and with the way things are headed...

Whichever one offers the best deal on a hybrid

Sincerely,

The Gas Pumps
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Hybrids are mostly over 18k and have very little storage space in trunk.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

If I were to buy a small economy car I wouldn't consider anything other a Toyota Corolla. I had a 2005 as a rental for a week and I found it to be an excellent car. Quiet, Smooth, Comfortable, Awesome mileage and had plenty of power for a car it's size.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I think the neon is an OK rig. The few people I know with them have been pleased. Why not by another? Take advantage of the poor resale by buying a year old one. Buying a brand new car is generally not a wise think, financially speaking.

Honda and Toyota are, IMO the top of the heap when it comes to reliability. Nissan and the other jap companies aren't far behind. The euros tend to be jap like or better when it comes to drivability, but, they aren't there on the reliability end.

Saturn seems to have an almost jap level of fit and finish and they drive kinda like the japs, but, I don't believe their reliabilty is quite there.

So, if I were you, (shudder), I would consider looking at an almost new neon. I think you'd find a really nice one for under 10 grand. Just because you can spend 18k, doesn't mean you have to.

If you want something a little nicer, find a nice low mileage Acura RSX or whatever it is they call their integra replacement. It is light years more refined than the neon, but, even a used one will eat up a good chunk of the 18k. On the bright side, it will deliver good mileage and probably last you through 3 or 4 speaking rolls. That's my way of saying 10-15 years.

As for ford, gm. They've gotten better. The new cobalt looks kinda cool, but, I haven't a clue as to how good it is. The focus has received a lot of good press.

If mileage is real important, find a golf TDI. They can get 50 mpg if you drive like a fag. They'll still get 40 if you beat the piss out of it. Probem is, I don't think they are available in cali and also the premium dealers can demand due to Dick Cheney making us pay so much for gas, will probably negate any fuel savings.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

If you're buying a new car and you consider anything other than an American made model, not only are you an unpatriotic dipshit, you are a fool as well.

Sin,
GM employee discounts for everyone.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Make sure that it makes cool noises.

Sin,
Dins
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

I own a Toyota Corolla and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Good gas mileage it rides great,roomy etc. The price was good as well.

I do recommend shopping exclusively online because going to the dealership is a hassle. Those fucks will say anything to sell you acar.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

bought me a brand new 2003 Pontiac Grand Am a couple years ago and I have yet to be let down. Mileage is so-so for this type of car, but it's got some pickup to it, looks sharp and sticker price, for most, is right around your price range.

If you want even faster and are willing to go into the low $20k's, go for a GT. Standard 6 cyl, fully loaded.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

My car is still running smoothly and with good power and have no complaints so may hold off on the purchase of a new car for a year or so, Saturn just announced it's going hybrid with a Green Line model of the VUE and one other car yet to be named. Also by then the market should be flooded with hybrids which also by then may be the most economical since at the rate we are going gas prices could be close to $5.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Who the fuck said Honda?
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Jess

Corolla

I've sold everything there is to sell. By what it appears your looking for this is the easiest question you have ever asked.

Corolla

It's the number 1 selling automobile in the history of civilization for a reason.

Corolla
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Honda has a "nice" Accord DX VP vehicle with front/head/side airbags, abs, good storage, and good set of features for 16-17k.
Todd
Crack Whore

Post by Todd »

If you are looking at a midsize car..

Honda Accord or Civic
Toyota Camry or Corrola
Volkswagen Passat or Jetta

If you want to buy a quality car built in America .. choose the Accord.
Last edited by Todd on Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

It all depends on what you want.

You are definitely not the type of guy who has a need for speed and must have something performance based, so I would reccomend a corrolla as well.

Baby bro had one about 5 years ago and that thing was fucking NAILZ when it came to low cost maintenance and MPG on gas.

But im a performance guy who notices the smallest things, so to me the car was a pile of fucking garbage because it has nasty ass body roll, there is no feeling of connection from the steering wheel to the wheels, and it was gutless as fuck. Also the shitty fucking lounge seats messed with my back (Try sitting in a cobra/mach/vette/GTO seat and going to this-you'll want to shoot yourself in the face after an hour)

The car just feels like a mid-40's sedan thats strictly driven by husbands who have been trained well by thier wives to be thier low maintenance slaves while she spends the extra $$$ on a bigger rock.

Overall, the car would be perfect for you, jess.

RACK Smackaholic and War Wagon

RACK American Muscle
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

You guys are a bunch of rice rocket driving faggots. Civics and Corollas?

Grow a pair and get a Tahoe or an Expedition.
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

Cicero wrote:You guys are a bunch of rice rocket driving faggots. Civics and Corollas?

Grow a pair and get a Tahoe or an Expedition.
and end up paying $80 per week just to put gas in it? no thanks!
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

heck if honda had made the insight a 4 seater and something not out of a cereal/cracer jack box I'd go for it. 60 mpg on the Highway and now drive in car pool lane by myself here in LA? Sold!
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Rozy - top selling vehicle in the US for the Last 28 years has been the Ford F Series Trucks

----------------------

According to JD Powers & Associates Survey, the Most dependable cars by Category:

Compact Car
Chevrolet Prizm

Entry Midsize Car
Chevrolet Malibu

Premium Midsize Car
Buick Century

Full-Size Car
Buick LeSabre

Entry Luxury
Ford Thunderbird

Mid Luxury Car
Lincoln Town Car

Premium Luxury Car
Lexus LS 430

Sporty Car
Mazda Miata

Premium Sports Car
Porsche 911

Midsize Pickup
Chevrolet S-10 Pickup

Light Duty Full-Size Pickup
Cadillac Escalade EXT

Heavy Duty Full-Size Pickup
Chevrolet Silverado HD

Entry SUV
Honda CR-V

Midsize SUV
Toyota 4Runner

Full-Size SUV
GMC Yukon/GMC Yukon XL

Entry Luxury SUV
Lexus RX 300

Premium Luxury SUV
Lexus LX 470

======================

According to Cars.com the vehicles with the best Residual (that's resale Jess) Values::

1. Mini Cooper Hatchback 64.3%
2. Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 Convertible 64.2%
3. Acura NSX-T Coupe 62.4%
4. Dodge Viper Roadster SRT10 62.4%
5. Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI Sedan 61.9%
6. Toyota Sequoia 4x2 SR5 61.8%
7. Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE 61.7%
8. Infiniti G35 Coupe 61.5%
9. Honda Pilot EX 61.4%
10. Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 61.1%

Seeing Jess squeeze in and out of a mini cooper.........

rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

KC Scott wrote:Rozy - top selling vehicle in the US for the Last 28 years has been the Ford F Series Trucks
Reread what I wrote, not what I didn't. HISTORY. Corolla passed up the bug several years ago. Oh, and also, another qualification I didn't put that you did. Worldwide. And your residual chart is slightly misleading. Residual does not necessarily equate to resale, though they are twins. Volvos have horrible resale value, though not deserved. The Camry would be unparalleled if the market were not flooded with rental Camrys.

Corolla, Jess.

And Cicero, I drive an Avalanche and have no use for a Corolla. :lol: As a matter of fact, I have no use for anything but an Avalanche. But can you see Jess sitting in a bad ass truck like that? Me neither.

Corolla, Jess.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Actually test drove a Chevy HHR today, Not bad for 20k.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I've got a 5 year old F250 crew cab.
It was somewhat more than 18K and the gas mileage is a little bit iffy,
but the reliability has been there.

That and it will seat a family of 6 quite comfortably, you can put your Corolla in the back and still pull your house.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Ya know mikey, talk like that is gonna get you kicked out of the lo-cal chapter of the commie pinko tree huggin' america hatin' berkenstock wearin' red wood tree spikin' faggits of north america.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Y2K wrote:If I were to buy a small economy car I wouldn't consider anything other a Toyota Corolla. I had a 2005 as a rental for a week and I found it to be an excellent car. Quiet, Smooth, Comfortable, Awesome mileage and had plenty of power for a car it's size.
RACK!!!! I have a 99 Corolla with 95,000 on it, still has good pickup, and gets around 30-32 in the city and 38 on the freeway. Plus its built in the USA.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

jtr wrote:Hybrids are mostly over 18k and have very little storage space in trunk.
You want under 18K and plenty of space and not going to take a ton of gas, get one of those mini-wagons like a Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Scion Xb box wagon might be a good choice as well. Gets 30-34 mpg since its based on the Corolla platform.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Cross Traffic wrote:Scion Xb box wagon might be a good choice as well. Gets 30-34 mpg since its based on the Corolla platform.
My old buds at Toyota tell me those are pure shit. They look like it, as well.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Are any of the Scions any good then, the Xa is nice hatchback with some legroom.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Cross Traffic wrote:Are any of the Scions any good then, the Xa is nice hatchback with some legroom.
They didn't differentiate. They said the quality of all Scions is complete crap. Hyundai level crap.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Guess I'll be looking at another Corolla or Matrix when the time comes. :)
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

Still in the market, narrowed down my choices to the Saturn Ion, Chevy Cobalt, Honda Civic, and Kia Spectra. Main thing I am looking for is as many air bags as I can get and other decent features. I can get a Civic for just over 15,000 with front and side airbags, the Ion has that too in a $395 add on package. Kia isnt that bad standard 6 air bags and 100,000 mile warranty, but not sure about it, Cobalt was fun to drive and been seeing a lot of them on the road. Scion has the tC and that is very nice but pricey 17,000. I have actually been thinking about the hybrids but they are too much in demand and the wait lists are ridiculous.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

If you are looking at that group, what about a Corolla? Hope you enjoy the repair shop if you get the Kia. There is a reason they have a 100,000 mile warranty.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

KC Scott wrote:======================

According to Cars.com the vehicles with the best Residual (that's resale Jess) Values::

1. Mini Cooper Hatchback 64.3%
2. Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 Convertible 64.2%
3. Acura NSX-T Coupe 62.4%
4. Dodge Viper Roadster SRT10 62.4%
5. Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 CDI Sedan 61.9%
6. Toyota Sequoia 4x2 SR5 61.8%
7. Toyota Camry Solara Convertible SE 61.7%
8. Infiniti G35 Coupe 61.5%
9. Honda Pilot EX 61.4%
10. Volvo XC90 V8 AWD 61.1%
Close but no cigar.... the residual value is not resale value, its what banks feel the cars will go for in the future and what they use to figure out lease payments. see a 40,000 car with a 3 year 60% residual means that the customer will pay 16 grand plus tax and then give the car back or buy it for the remaining 24g after the 3 years. Residuals are also affected by milage as the Sequoia and Solara are likely 12k miles a year the Viper and NSX are more likely only 10k miles a year leases and to get the extra 6000 miles over the lease you probably drop the residual 2 points.
Finaly residuals are affected by the manufacturers desire to move the product and quite often you see subsidized residuals on distressed product thats been sitting on lots or in storage yards across the nation.

Banks dont determine how reliable a car is, and residuals are nothingmore than what a bank thinks the future value of that car may be if driven and maintained under their strict guidelines.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Y2K wrote:
If I were to buy a small economy car I wouldn't consider anything other a Toyota Corolla. I had a 2005 as a rental for a week and I found it to be an excellent car. Quiet, Smooth, Comfortable, Awesome mileage and had plenty of power for a car it's size.

Cross Traffic Wrote:
RACK!!!! I have a 99 Corolla with 95,000 on it, still has good pickup, and gets around 30-32 in the city and 38 on the freeway. Plus its built in the USA.
I doubt there is a car made that does not feel excellent when new.
That said, my 90 Corolla (bought new) still purrs like a kitten near 300,000 kilometers later with miminum repairs done.

One thing though, the exhaust manifolds tend to crack after the first 100k on many of 'em.
As for repair, the dealer wanted $400 plus for replacement, a near by welder fixed it, and with the cost of two new gaskets the fix only came to $50.

Can't go wrong with a Toyota, and a good fixer upper :wink:
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

there's a corolla down the street for sale. 94, 163k. Guy wants 2550. It looks very good and is loaded for a corolla anyway. Whataya think a 94 cavalier might bring with that kinda mileage? Tow it away free, probably.
jtr
Fresh out of bubble gum

Post by jtr »

my 95 Dodge Neon has only 87,600 miles on it. But thinking trade in will only get me $4500 or less.