PGA - Call It

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Pablo
Provocateur

PGA - Call It

Post by Pablo »

I'll take Goosen coming off his win at The International. I think his Sunday meltdown at Pinehurst was an anomaly.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You don't have to have your official picks in until monday morning, remember.

But, I'll take Tiger. When to going gets tough, the Tiger gets swinging.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:You don't have to have your official picks in until monday morning, remember.

But, I'll take Tiger. When to going gets tough, the Tiger gets swinging.
Taking a big chance Dins.....picking Woods is risky........

As my unofficial pick, I'll take SERGIO (s'up B?)
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I've got B down for Serge, as well.

I played pretty well for the first 8 yesterday. It was that last one that killed me (sup 8...on a par 4). I hate that. Missing all the greens, but scrambling like a madman for pars. Bumping it up by the hole, making putts... I was a true stalwart of Hanging In There. Then came #9...
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

We all know this will be the week for Sergio.

Unless it is not.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:I played pretty well for the first 8 yesterday. It was that last one that killed me (sup 8...on a par 4). I hate that.
Nothing that pisses me off worse than following up a birdie with a bogey. Last week, I had 5 birdies, 4 bogeys, 1 double, and one of the dreaded "others".

The disconcerting thing is that on all of the birdies, the next hole I either bogeyed, doubled, or othered........
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Going with a bit of a longshot, but he's played pretty well in the majors this year: Bernhard Langer.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote:Nothing that pisses me off worse than following up a birdie with a bogey.
When I was at Heron Lakes the other day, I missed a crazy long eagle putt by inches. Tapped in for bird. Took an 8 on the next hole (par 4).

Neato. Just a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Bernhard Langer is a dork. But since I'm making fun of him, he'll obviously win to make me look silly(er). He will montross me. That makes no sense to you guys I realize. Someday when I'm really bored, I'll explain how "montrossing" came to be.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote: Someday when I'm really bored, I'll explain how "montrossing" came to be.
I once got "Montrosed"...........

at a Montrose concert--it was not a pretty sight.......

any thing similar to that?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

What the heck...

In a nutshell --

My good sports watching bud (and absolutely horrible golfer) and I were watching some hoop a few years back. As far as the superior hoop of the ACC goes, he's a big Duke fan, and I pull for the Heels. So we're watching some NBA, when one of the teams throws Eric Montross in off the bench. I say "hey, there's a good Carolina guy." My bud got all pissed that I insisted that Montross was a reasonable journeyman player, if you can sign him cheap. He seemed to think that he brought shame to the Dean's name, and was the worst Heel to ever make the NBA, and had no value as a player whatsoever. At the very moment he finished his rant, Mr. Montross put the ball on the floor from the high post, did a spin move, and finished with a thundering 360 tomahawk jam. Priceless.

Other players who always had a knack for clowning the two of us pretty consistantly -- The young ARod, when we used to watch all thoise A's/M's games out West here. We'd always comment on what a crappy fielding SS he was (it was his earlier years), which was alwauys followed by him making some unbelievable play. During those same games, we couldn't stop laughing at Carlos Guillen's drunken follies at SS on the other side. So naturally, he'd collect his drunken ass together, then prove what idiots we were with a play for the ages. There's been a few more who have done it as well. "Montross."
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

From what I've heard about the revamped Baltursol, it's playing a lot longer than the 7400 yards which it's supposed to be..

Which means the big hitters have some advantage over the Fred Funks of the world...

Tiger, Phil or Vijay...

Tiger could, Phil might, Vijay should..

But Goosein's going to.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Otis wrote:From what I've heard about the revamped Baltursol, it's playing a lot longer than the 7400 yards which it's supposed to be..

Which means the big hitters have some advantage over the Fred Funks of the world...

Tiger, Phil or Vijay...

But Goosein's going to.
Lee Janzen won the US Open the last time it was played at Baltustrol. So a shot hitter can win. Nicklaus broke the US Open scoring record both times he won at Baltustrol, so it is certainly possible for guys to go low.

I can tell you who won't win.

Fred Couples
Davis Love III
Darren Clarke
Padrig Harrington
Phil Mickelson

None of those guys have a chance.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

7400 yards at par 70. FWIW.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

BSmack wrote:
Otis wrote:From what I've heard about the revamped Baltursol, it's playing a lot longer than the 7400 yards which it's supposed to be..

Tiger, Phil or Vijay...

But Goosein's going to.
Lee Janzen won the US Open the last time it was played at Baltustrol. So a shot hitter can win. Nicklaus broke the US Open scoring record both times he won at Baltustrol, so it is certainly possible for guys to go low.

Fred Couples
Davis Love III
Darren Clarke
Padrig Harrington
Phil Mickelson

Maybe so but since then, they've changed the turf mixture, the areas from the edge of the fairways to where the gallery ropes will be — about 35 acres in all — were sodded with a thick stand of 80 percent Kentucky bluegrass and 20 percent perennial ryegrass, a mix touted for its general hardiness. A watering system was added, as well.

That project also included narrowing the fairways to the PGA’s preferred width of 25 yards in the landing areas, 260 yards to 330 yards off the tee. Some fairways were recontoured.
More than two months ago the new rough was at a lush 3 inches and formidable. For the tournament, it’ll be maintained at about 5 inches.

Add in the additional length which it's playing and Baltsurol today, isn't even close to the course tha hosted the Open in 93.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Otis wrote:
BSmack wrote:

Tiger, Phil or Vijay...

But Goosein's going to.

Fred Couples
Davis Love III
Darren Clarke
Padrig Harrington
Phil Mickelson

Maybe so but since then, they've changed the turf mixture, the areas from the edge of the fairways to where the gallery ropes will be — about 35 acres in all — were sodded with a thick stand of 80 percent Kentucky bluegrass and 20 percent perennial ryegrass, a mix touted for its general hardiness. A watering system was added, as well.

That project also included narrowing the fairways to the PGA’s preferred width of 25 yards in the landing areas, 260 yards to 330 yards off the tee. Some fairways were recontoured.
More than two months ago the new rough was at a lush 3 inches and formidable. For the tournament, it’ll be maintained at about 5 inches.

Add in the additional length which it's playing and Baltsurol today, isn't even close to the course tha hosted the Open in 93.
The pics I've seen of the rough at Baltusrol are a dead ringer for the rough I saw at Oak Hill in 03. If they don't cut this rough down at all, I wouldn't be surprised to see a winning score of 4 to 6 under. And that could go higher if the course plays longer.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I think I'll change my pick to Ben Crane.

He'll win it all, when he finishes up at 3AM monday. I think I got grouped up with dude's dad or something last weekend. Well, dude had the same problem distinguishing the difference between the range and the fairway, anyhow. I think dude was from Beaverton, so who knows? Maybe slow play is hereditary?

Anyone who scores worse than me should play faster than me.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Mickelson
Dreams......Temporary Madness
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Padraig Harrington
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Vijay
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sean O'Hair.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

I know the guy's game hasn't been exactly hot lately but either someone at the PGA has a sense of humour or they were trying to send Mike Weir a wake up call...

His playing partners for the 1st round,

David Duval
Ben Curtis

Ouch...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Otis wrote:I know the guy's game hasn't been exactly hot lately but either someone at the PGA has a sense of humour or they were trying to send Mike Weir a wake up call...

David Duval
Ben Curtis

Ouch...
I didn't know the PGA had a Best Players to have done Jack Shit Since Winning a Major pairing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

BSmack wrote:
Otis wrote:I know the guy's game hasn't been exactly hot lately but either someone at the PGA has a sense of humour or they were trying to send Mike Weir a wake up call...

David Duval
Ben Curtis

Ouch...
I didn't know the PGA had a Best Players to have done Jack Shit Since Winning a Major pairing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

I just heard Weir's response when he was asked about how he felt about his being paired up with his playing partners tomorrow...
Apparently, nobody had bothered to mention who he was playing with to him until the reporter asked...

Weir was shocked at first but you could clearly hear in his voice that he was getting more and more pissed off as it sunk in... :lol:

That's good enough for me to put him back in as part of my pool of picks to win it this weekend.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

They nicknamed that group the "Do We Really HAVE To Give These Tards Exemptions?" group.

Although I guess I won't hate on DuMelt. Duval and his dad are doing a whole day's worth of free lessons/seminars out here before the Tradition.

Excuse me....the "Jeld-Wen" Tradition. Speaking of which....I'm a pretty darn popular, well-connected mutha around this town. Heck, I might even be weaseling in on a big dinner with a bunch of the big names that Jake is putting on (only because it's at my bud's facility), and I've yet to be offered any free tickets. What's up with THAT? I'm I suddenly old news around here? I'm pretty offended by all of this, actually.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

there was a pairing like that at the US Open--like Rich Beem and Shaun Micheel and someone else.
"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Golf Forum wrote:Ben Curtis....BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Regular bunch of comedians, aren't we?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote: I can tell you who won't win.

Phil Mickelson

B...?

My Ben Crane pick all of a sudden isn't looking so bad now, is it?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

At least Duval is in a tie with Montgomerie and Jay Haas. Just a couple of shots behind Tiger.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:At least Duval is in a tie with Montgomerie and Jay Haas. Just a couple of shots behind Tiger.
Who are still ahead of Wayne Grady, who I'm quite sure if he keeps bogeying, is gonna have to choke a bitch. Better go about 58 tomorrow, or he'll be known as MC Grady.
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

Eldrick better go low tomorrow or he's gonna be spending the weekend in Orlando.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Pablo wrote:Eldrick better go low tomorrow or he's gonna be spending the weekend in Orlando.
What and have to go home and spend some quality time with..........

Damn, if I was in his position, I'd prolly withdraw right now.......
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

^^^

Point taken.
Boom goes the dynamite.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, I am only looking at espn.com's leaderboard and it says right now that Tiger is 6 over for the tourney through 3 today. With the projected cut at 3, I am going to say he won't make up the ground today. Not a huge call by any means, just a gut feeling he won't pull it together.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just when I was thinking how funny it would be if Ben Crane and Rory Sabbatini got paired up again, Ben goes and tosses up a 76. Enjoy your weekend off, bro.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Phil Mickelson

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Now he's +7 for the tourney after 5 holes.

Unless he starts droping some shots from the fairway he's done.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, Tiger needs to pull out an 8I if he can get within 145.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dins,

You trying to say the Phil might Montross me?

I hope he does.

Oh, and Tiger might as well bust out the 8I. That is, with a 1/2 swing and an abriviated follow through out of the rough.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:You trying to say the Phil might Montross me?
That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to say. Mantits is going throw down a 360 rimrocker right in your freaking face.

It'll be nice to see someone else as the Montross victim this time.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Fred Couples
Davis Love III
Darren Clarke
Padrig Harrington
Phil Mickelson :oops:

Ya see the problem with predicting who won't win B?

BTW, I had Mickelson all the way..........