Satellite Speakers?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Satellite Speakers?

Post by patsy stone »

Hi. Quick question:

Are "satellite speakers" that come with a DVD Home Theatre system wireless? I just put hardwood floors and can't have wires spread out all over the floor...

Or does "satellite" just mean they are little and can be put anywhere in the room?

TIA.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

Satellite speakers generally refer to the smaller two-way speakers that are connected to a powered subwoofer.

From what I know, Sony makes a "wireless" home theatre in a box system (DAV-10, I think), however, it's wireless only in that the rear speakers are "wireless." Panasonic might also make a wireless system that works the same way.

Oh, the Sony DAV-LF1, I think, might be totally wireless and relies on IR signals...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If you're really clever, you can run speaker wire under the floor and poke it up through the baseboard, rather than the hardwood itself.

I've actually seen people run low-power speakers off the extra wires in a CAT5 wired house. But then again, if the house wasn't prewired, the point is probably moot.

On the homefront, they run through the ceiling, then down some less-than-attractive, but not too bad conduit. There's a bunch of white trim in the room, so the conduit doesn't look so bad, but the tubing could have been easily painted wall-color to hide it.

Or, just go wireless. Not a big fan of wireless audio, but if that's what it needs to be, then so be it.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

Well I just paid a contractor to install the floors in my entire condo. He already installed the quarter-round and I moved all the furniture back last night. I should've thought of it beforehand, or I could've run the wire around the edges underneath the baseboards. Good idea. But I'm slow like that. :?

Why aren't you a fan of wireless, Dinsdale? Is the sound quality bad? I don't need anything extravagant really.
patsy stone
sweetie dahling

Post by patsy stone »

DrDetroit wrote:From what I know, Sony makes a "wireless" home theatre in a box system (DAV-10, I think), however, it's wireless only in that the rear speakers are "wireless." Panasonic might also make a wireless system that works the same way.
That's all I need is for the rear speakers to be wireless.
Oh, the Sony DAV-LF1, I think, might be totally wireless and relies on IR signals...
Explain what this means?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If they're the rear speakers in a surround system, you're probably going to want to mount them high on the wall for unobscured sound, anyway. You can either poke the wires through the wall/ceiling behind your stereo cabinet/entertainment center/living room monstrosity, and then poke them down through the edge of the ceiling (or maybe not in a condo...sepends if there's attic access) and have them out immediately behind each speaker (which is how it is at my house, and virtually invisible, with the speakers mounted on brackets near the ceiling), or if you're really Joe High-Tech, they make wiring panel for just such a thing.

I would think that wireless is subject to signal degradation, but I'm a little behind the times on wireless stuff, so research it, if you think it's your best solution. My bud who was a certified, educated expert in such things moved away and changed careers, otherwise I'd come up with an expert's opinion for you.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
David_Copperfield
The Wizard

Post by David_Copperfield »

I agree with dinsdale, The quality for wireless isn't as good...it's not bad, mind you, but there is a noticable difference.

When you purchase the speakers, the box will specifically advertise that they are wireless. If it doesn't mention it, you'll need to plug 'em in.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I would think some of the problems with wireless speakers would be the same as the wireless head phones. I have a nice Sony set, but there is interference all the time, Of course a lot of the time I move around. IR stands for Infra Red, like your remote controll. The problem with it is that it is trully a line of sight solution so you would have to make sure no one walks in between the speakers and your IR transmitter. When we ran wires at an apartment I lived at, we purchased white ones and just ran them in the corners. After the first week, you couldn't tell they were there.

It should be noted that wireless setups generally have less bandwidth available and it takes longer to get there. Of course I assume that a wireless speaker is a one way communication system so its not as big a deal as it is with wireless networks.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

Patsy:

One of the best developments of the last few years is the home theatre in a box concept. You get the dvd/cd player, amplifier, tuner, speakers + subwoofer plus all the wiring in one convenient box.

Sony's line of HTIB's is the Dream System. The first one I referred to can be reviewed here, it's the Sony DAV-FR10 and it's the one with wireless rear speakers.

The Panasonic I referred to can be reviewed here, it's the Panasonic SC-HT930, also with wireless rear speakers (if you purchase an add-on accessory).

The Sony DAV-LF1 is a totally wireless system and can be reviewed here. The audio device use infrared signals to send the audio signal to each speaker, much like your wireless remote control for you television sends a signal to your tv when you change the channel or volume.

I've got the Sony DAV-FR9 system and my wife and I love it. It's in our main living room on the first floor and we ran the wiring through the floor board, under the floor across the room and popped it out of the floorboard at each speaker position so it's virtually invisible. Well, it is invisible as the wire runs up inside the speaker stand to the back of the speaker housing. I bought mine for about $500 at Costco a while back.