How do I get shit from old pc, transfered to new one?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

kcdave
crusader

How do I get shit from old pc, transfered to new one?

Post by kcdave »

Ok, got my new pc...... SWEET! Vega to Vette....... more on that later.

I have a few programs saved on the old one, along with one or two songs, :wink: that I can no longer obtain, not for free at least.

How do I move them onto my new pc?

I tried a patch cable. That didnt work. Not sure if I went about doing so the right way.

I have a Linksys wireless router. Old pc was connected direct and worked fine. Have now installed installed wireless pci card in it, tried to run install disc, but it didnt load fully. Tried to UN-install, but it wont let me. Program shows on the old, but WONT run, and I am not able to reload it. Really pissed off about now. Advice or help, please.
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Run it on the new one to make a disk/program for the old one, install and then run it on the old one. Now restore it to the new one.

You're welcome.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Junkman wrote:Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

Run it on the new one to make a disk/program for the old one, install and then run it on the old one. Now restore it to the new one.

You're welcome.
Did that before I even posted. Wizard only allows you to save it on a flash card, cf, MMC, SMMS. No way possible to burn it on a friggin cd.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Assuming you have NIC cards in both PC's, and they're going into the same router, just FTP the files over.

You will not be able to transfer installed programs over, you'll need the installation .EXE for those.
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

kcdave wrote:
Junkman wrote:Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools - File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

You're welcome.
Did that before I even posted. Wizard only allows you to save it on a flash card, cf, MMC, SMMS. No way possible to burn it on a friggin cd.
Save it to the local drive. Burn that. Then copy it to the new machine.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

How about making the old drive a "slave," attach it to your new computer IDE cable and copy the directories over?
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

Atomic Punk wrote:How about making the old drive a "slave," attach it to your new computer IDE cable and copy the directories over?
That's what I was thinking, too. It's pretty easily done and requires nothing more than moving a jumper and making a couple of connections.

You probably won't be able to transfer the programs as a lot of them access the registry, so you'll have to reinstall them on the new machine and just copy your data files over.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

It's about time you got a new PC, Dave.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Atomic Punk wrote:How about making the old drive a "slave," attach it to your new computer IDE cable and copy the directories over?

As the programs probably had data written to the registry, this will end up in failure.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

trev wrote:It's about time you got a new PC, Dave.
He did. Did you miss that?
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Martyred wrote:

As the programs probably had data written to the registry, this will end up in failure.
Yes, but that is obvious. You transfer data and reinstall programs and then import data. Duh.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

Martyred wrote:
trev wrote:It's about time you got a new PC, Dave.
He did. Did you miss that?
Are you and verbal related?
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Red wrote:
That's what I was thinking, too. It's pretty easily done and requires nothing more than moving a jumper and making a couple of connections.

You probably won't be able to transfer the programs as a lot of them access the registry, so you'll have to reinstall them on the new machine and just copy your data files over.
$8.00 per hour dildo at Best Buy gave me this same advice. Thats not a slam against you all, but I normally do not trust a damn thing they say.

Needing help RIGHT NOW, I spotted a couple of stoners checking out the gaming hardware. In less than 2 minutes, they hooked me up with this:

V
V
V
V
V

Took about 3 hours, alotta pluggin in, back and forth, but I managed to move a little over 600 songs, Photoshop 6.0 (Old school, but I like it), faves, pics, and few other programs I just couldn't do without.

Case closed....... problem solved.
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

kcdave wrote:$8.00 per hour dildo at Best Buy gave me this same advice. Thats not a slam against you all, but I normally do not trust a damn thing they say.
Swell. At least I know that if worse comes to worse, I at least can count on pulling in $8.00 an hour.
Needing help RIGHT NOW, I spotted a couple of stoners checking out the gaming hardware. In less than 2 minutes, they hooked me up with this...

Took about 3 hours, alotta pluggin in, back and forth, but I managed to move a little over 600 songs, Photoshop 6.0 (Old school, but I like it), faves, pics, and few other programs I just couldn't do without.

Case closed....... problem solved.
Those little thumb drives are handy. Not a waste of money, but my way was cheaper (e.g. free) and likely faster.

Not that it's at all relevant, but I've got a shitload of components coming in this week from Newegg... finally getting around to building my first system. Woo-hoo! It ain't the latest, greatest stuff, but it will be a definite upgrade to my old Inspiron lappy, plus I get to build it myself!