Good article on the NFL running back situation

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Good article on the NFL running back situation

Post by Guest »

Depreciation hits the running back market

By Adam Schefter
Special to NFL.com

Running back Edgerrin James can't get the lucrative long-term deal that he wants from the Colts.

Running back Shaun Alexander can't get the lucrative long-term deal that he wants from the Seahawks.

And neither the Colts nor the Seahawks can get what they want in any trade talks they've had for James or Alexander.

Other teams have refused to surrender so much as a third-round pick for James, a running back that compiled over 1,500 combined yards two years ago and over 2,000 yards last year. The Seahawks can't even get a fourth-round pick for Alexander, who has rushed for at least 1,000 yards and 14 touchdowns in each of the past four seasons.

Two great backs and no significant offers to, or for, them.

Part of the reason is the younger, cheaper help that's available. The Dolphins drafted Ronnie Brown, the Bears Cedric Benson, the Buccaneers "Cadillac" Williams and the Cardinals J.J. Arrington.

Shaun Alexander fell two yards shy of becoming the NFL rushing champion in 2004.
And while the supply of top running backs is great, the demand for them isn't. This is why James and Alexander are struggling to cash in, and the Colts and Seahawks can't cash out.

Before the real-estate bubble bursts, the one for franchise running backs did.

A little more than a year ago, the Redskins traded Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey and a second-round pick to the Broncos for running back Clinton Portis, whom Washington promptly paid $17 million worth of signing and option bonuses. Now teams can't get a Pro Bowl corner, no less a second-round pick, in return for any running back. And running backs can't get $17 million worth of bonuses from any team.

Franchise running backs are being dropped for a loss.

If this article doesnt illustrate even further what an absolute asskicking the Portis/Bailey plus a #2 draft pick was for the Broncos was I have lost hope for any of you to come to your senses.

I know Foreskin fan I know.....

But Portis ran for this many yards

Sincerely,

Another losing season in Washington.

Save your arguments tards, you gave up a ton for a RB who doesn't fit the dinosaurs system and this will be looked back on as one of the more one sided deals in NFL history eventually.

The amusing thing is that if you tried to trade Portis now you probably wouldn't even get a return phone call.

But keep the faith Foreskin fan, when we get your top ten draft pick next year I'm sure you will be making the same ridiculous argument.

I can see it now:

Wait until Campbell takes his first snap, then you'll see why we traded up to get him.

:roll:

Personally I think that I think Denver's success at running the ball has caused teams to reflect on how much they pay RBs. Teams are asking themselves "if Denver can draft a stud RB every year late why can't we go get one cheap?"

Too late now.

:lol:
ElvisMonster
savvy fashionista

Post by ElvisMonster »

And I'm pretty sure this situation is why Ahman Green is being as patient and cooperative as he is with the Packers front office even though he's down to the last year on his contract.

Man, I'd love to see him get locked up for another 3 or 4 years without the Packers having to break the bank.
Life's Pretty Straight Without Jimmy Medalions.
JHawkBCD
Six-Hour Sally

Post by JHawkBCD »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:It's fairly curious to me that icantstopsuckingratahansshriveleddick conveniently forgot to add the part where the Redskins had the 3rd ranked defense in the NFL last year....WITHOUT Toast Bailey. :roll:
Because he's unable to form an original thought for himself, so he'll have to wait until some sportswriter forms it for him.
Nope. Not dead.
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

While the Portis/Bailey deal may have had an effect on the RB market. The other big reason Edgerrin James isn't getting any big offers is because, while he fits in perfectly in the Colts' pass-first offense, the knee injury that is a giant red flag in his history combined with his loss of speed because said injury and his age are also big negatives when teams look at him. And James himself proved that a young quick back coming right out of college can make a big impact even without a great college career. Why spend a ton on an aging Edgerrin James when you might be able to draft the next Edgerrin James?
G.O.
Elwood

Post by G.O. »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:It's fairly curious to me that icantstopsuckingratahansshriveleddick conveniently forgot to add the part where the Redskins had the 3rd ranked defense in the NFL last year....WITHOUT Toast Bailey. :roll:
yep.

what the hell is up with icantstopfating? obsessed with the skins much? :roll: