Hank Stram, Dead

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

fix
Eternal Scobode

Hank Stram, Dead

Post by fix »

At the age of 82.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Hank Stram, who took the Kansas City Chiefs to two Super Bowls and was known for his inventive game plans, died Sunday at a hospital in suburban New Orleans, his son said. He was 82.

Stram had been in declining health for several years and his son attributed death to complications from diabetes. He died at St. Tammany Parish Hospital, near his home in Covington, across Lake Pontchartrain from New Orleans. He had built the home there during his two-year stint as head coach of the Saints
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

RIP

What was the name of the play he called during the championship game that was featured on one of the old NFL highlight films?
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

The oopty oop.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
Bobby42 wrote:RIP

What was the name of the play he called during the championship game that was featured on one of the old NFL highlight films?
65 Toss Power Trap.

The NFL Nation lost one of the best coaches this game has ever known today.
Bingo. Thanks. Remember coach patting down his toupee after the touchdown celebration. He'll be missed.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

"Let's just keep matriculating the ball down the field, boys...."
E UNUM PLURIBUS
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

I was too young to appreciate him as a coach, outside of later airings of NFL Films. But he was a pretty decent color commentator (paired with Jack Buck) on Westwood One.

"Now, Jack what ---------- really should do here is a play-action pass."

Dude was a no-nonsense, non overly excited damn good analyst. Half the asshats doing NFL broadcasts should be forced to take lessons from him.

RIP H.S., a KC and national icon.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Hank was an innovator, a motivator and assembled the dominant team of the old AFL.

Glad he lived long enough to see his overdue induction into Canton.

RIP Coach
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Hank was too ill to deliver his speech live at the HOF induction ceremony, but these words epitomize what a true gentleman and fine person/coach that he was.

RIP Hank "The Mentor" Stram

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hank Stram's Hall of Fame speech

Stram’s pre-recorded speech at his Hall of Fame induction in August 2003:

“Thank you, Lenny, for your kind words, for your friendship, for your talent and for your leadership. You are the greatest.

“The honor I am receiving today — being inducted into the Hall of Fame — is beyond what words can describe. My thanks to the Hall of Fame committee who saw fit to bestow this great honor upon me today. And Lamar Hunt, what a great owner, what a dear friend.

“I am here today because you, Lamar, provided me with the opportunity to be your head coach for 14 1/2 years. Throughout my coaching career, I have been so fortunate to be surrounded by so many great players and coaches from Purdue University, to SMU, to Notre Dame, the University of Miami, the Dallas Texans, the Kansas City Chiefs and the New Orleans Saints.

“No coach could have asked for a more dedicated, loyal and talented group of people, and if there were time, I would single out each one of you. Someone said that friends are angels in disguise. If this is true, I have been surrounded by angels for most of my life. Many of you angels are here today. I thank you for your attendance, your support and the loyal friendship you have provided over the years.

“My induction today is shared by many who are seated in this stadium. It is also shared by many who have even better seats in heaven. My parents and deceased family, friends, team members and Jack Buck, my radio and TV partner. Today, I am joined by my No. 1 team and by far my strength throughout the years: my family.

“My sister Dolly. My aunt Mary. My son Henry. My son Dale and his wife, Janet. My son Stu and his wife, Dana. My daughter Julia. My son Gary. My daughter Mary Nell and her husband, Patrick. And last, without any question, my No. 1 teammate in life and the only girl I ever loved, my Phyllis.

“I love all of you and I have never underestimated the strength you have provided. As I matriculate my way down the field of life, I will never forget this moment and you wonderful people who helped make this day possible.

“The good book says that all good and perfect gifts come from above, and this is truly a perfect gift. I thank God and I ask his blessings on each of you and on our America.

“Thank you.”
Major Geeks
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Major Geeks »

One slightly used Howard Cosell type "rug" for sale...$100.00 OBO

Loved Stram as a commentator, one of the best. Props to his coaching ability as well. RIP
Cosmo Kramer
Troublemaker
Location: Smack dab in the middle of a fucking immigration free-for-all

Post by Cosmo Kramer »

Props to the coach! Sorry to see him go :cry:
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

Ahem...

the "passing of Coach Stram" Thread will now re-commence....

R.I.P.

the NFL has lost a Legend.
Raider Loco
Elwood

Post by Raider Loco »

He was a fucking Chief but one hell of a coach! The only one to bring that shit of a franchise a superbowl, that's got to count for something up there 8)

R.I.P Hank!
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

I didn't know until I heard the news of his passing that Stram was a "Region boy" like myself. I'm sure none of you know what that means. The northwest corner of Indiana is referred to by people in the central and southern half of this state as "The Region." As in, the region of the state that they deny exists. The Indianapolis media doesn't care about that area of the state and the Chicago media is just now beginning to acknowledge it's presence as a place where humans also exist even though thousands of people have been commuting to Chicago from Lake County, IN for decades.

Hank Stram was born in Gary, IN, just across the river from where I grew up in Highland.

I had heard that he had some formula that helped him predict the outcomes of many Super Bowls correctly. Anybody ever heard if that formula didn't work or what it was?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
Rushville wrote:I had heard that he had some formula that helped him predict the outcomes of many Super Bowls correctly. Anybody ever heard if that formula didn't work or what it was?
Rushy, Hank's Super Bowl predicting formula has only failed TWICE since 1967.
More info needed.

Give it up.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

War Wagon wrote:
KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
Rushville wrote:I had heard that he had some formula that helped him predict the outcomes of many Super Bowls correctly. Anybody ever heard if that formula didn't work or what it was?
Rushy, Hank's Super Bowl predicting formula has only failed TWICE since 1967.
More info needed.

Give it up.
He picked the team he thought would win, Simpleton
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Scott wrote:
War Wagon wrote:
KC Paul 3.0 wrote: Rushy, Hank's Super Bowl predicting formula has only failed TWICE since 1967.
More info needed.

Give it up.
He picked the team he thought would win, Simpleton
Thanks for enlightenment, kcrunt.

Quite the formula you laid out there.