Moderator: Cueball

JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Rocket wants 22 mil

Post by JCT »

Clemens asks for record $22 million in arbitration

By JOEL ANDERSON, AP Sports Writer
January 18, 2005
HOUSTON (AP) -- Roger Clemens asked for a salary that matches his uniform number -- with a bunch of zeros added on.

Clemens filed for a record $22 million in arbitration on Tuesday, and the Houston Astros offered the seven-time Cy Young Award winner $13.5 million.

The Rocket, who helped lead the Astros within one win of their first World Series last season, still has not decided whether to pitch this year or retire.

``We are proceeding down the arbitration path as if Roger were going to play,'' Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, said. ``He has not yet decided whether to play in 2005, but I expect him to do so by Feb. 1 at the latest.''

Clemens, who wears No. 22, would be playing his 22nd major league season.

Until now, the highest figure ever submitted for arbitration was $18.5 million in 2001 by New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, who then agreed to a $189 million, 10-year deal.

The highest salary ever earned by a pitcher in a season was $17.5 million, last year by Boston's Pedro Martinez.

``We looked at what some of the comparables were -- Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson -- and we tried to use those star-quality players to come up with a number,'' Astros general manager Tim Purpura said.

Clemens, 42, left the Yankees after the 2003 season and intended to retire. But after former teammate Andy Pettitte signed with the Astros, Clemens was persuaded to sign with his hometown club.

He took an undermarket deal that guaranteed him $5 million, of which $3.5 million was deferred without interest until July 1, 2006. Clemens earned an additional $1,825,000 in bonuses based on his selection to the NL All-Star team and Houston's home attendance, which was more than 3.3 million, including the postseason.

The $8.5 million spread between his figure and the Astros' was exactly double the previous high in salary arbitration -- the Yankees filed at $14.25 million with Jeter in 2001. The midpoint of $17.75 million is just above the highest listed salary for a pitcher this season -- Randy Johnson's salary with the New York Yankees is calculated at $16.5 million, including a prorated share of the $1 million personal-services contract he agreed to with the Arizona Diamondbacks before he was traded.

Clemens had a remarkable season, going 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA and 218 strikeouts. As he did last winter, he says he is leaning toward retirement but has not ruled out playing.

With the loss of Carlos Beltran to the New York Mets, Purpura realizes that securing Clemens for another year would bolster the Astros' hopes of reaching the playoffs for the sixth time in nine seasons.

``As I've said all along we're going to wait patiently for his answer,'' Purpura said. ``Having Roger Clemens here is very important to the team, the city and the fans. It would be great to have Roger on board.''

Astros outfielder Lance Berkman, who is eligible for free agency after next season, asked for $11 million and the team offered $10 million. The sides might try to work out a multiyear deal. Pitcher Roy Oswalt asked for a raise from $3,425,000 to $7.8 million and was offered $6 million.

Two pitchers asked for more than double what Houston was offering: Tim Redding ($1.4 million vs. $575,000) and Pete Munro ($1.1 million vs. $525,00).

Hearings will be held next month for players who don't agree to settlements.

AP Sports Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Only $22 Million?

Sin,

the Yankees
Defense wins championships.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Sorry. I know you guys wanted me to drop by Houston, but I didn't know that you meant immediately.

Love,
Rebuilding phase.
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

Only 22 million. Hell the Royals total payroll will be around 43 million.

WAR competive balance! :roll:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

For how long he's played and for how much money he has made during his career...this is excessive. He is still one of the best starters in the league but what more could he possibly want? If he wants the Astros to be able to add more pieces to replace the likes of Beltran and Kent...why the hell would you want to drain their budget just on himself? I'd take the guy on my team in a heartbeat but I hope he doesn't get anywhere near what he wants.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

I think it's his way of retiring without actually saying he's retiring. By going to arbitration, he can't sign elsewhere. If they don't find common ground before the hearing and he loses, which is most likely the case, he's done. They still could meet somewhere between 15 and 18 mil before hand. If that doesn't happen, well see him in the Hall donning a RedSox hat 5 years from now.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Cueball wrote:I think it's his way of retiring without actually saying he's retiring. By going to arbitration, he can't sign elsewhere. If they don't find common ground before the hearing and he loses, which is most likely the case, he's done. They still could meet somewhere between 15 and 18 mil before hand. If that doesn't happen, well see him in the Hall donning a RedSox hat 5 years from now.
I think you are very close to the truth, except for the he loses part. If it goes to a hearing, based on the criteria they use for those hearings, he would win going away. The arbitrator can't meet in the middle. He either takes the 22 mill or the 13.5 mill. Clemens would win that argument with ease. He only made 8.5 last year... (Don't laugh at the only part, look at the overall context :wink: )

But the prevailing thoughts here in H-Town are that he is done. And you nailed it in your first sentence.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

18 million, One year? Ungodly. Hope he's worth it.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Well, he won the CY last year and only cost Houston what, $5M? Two years of Clemens at $23M ain't so bad. Provided he's got any motivation next year, playing for a .500 team.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

He'll make a it back for them with tickets sales, promotions, etc....probably to the tune of say 2 mill. Give or take a couple of mill
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Sorry. I know you guys wanted me to drop by Houston, but I didn't know that you meant immediately.

Love,
Rebuilding phase.

:lol:

Haven't seen him around lately. I think he's visiting the Giants or some shit.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

PrimeX wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:Sorry. I know you guys wanted me to drop by Houston, but I didn't know that you meant immediately.

Love,
Rebuilding phase.

:lol:

Haven't seen him around lately. I think he's visiting the Giants or some shit.
True. Doesn't mean my comment wasn't hilarious. You and the Braves have gotten a lot out of a little. Congrats.

We can handle anyone in the NL that isn't the Astros or Marlins. Y'all pitching kicks ass.
why is my neighborhood on fire
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Bizzarofelice wrote:True. Doesn't mean my comment wasn't hilarious. You and the Braves have gotten a lot out of a little. Congrats.
No argument there, but damn you for stealing my nutrient for the AAAstro's pitchers comment.