CA minimum wage $20/hour ???

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

CA minimum wage $20/hour ???

Post by Wolfman »

OK, CA clones, how's that working out for you ? What's a basic In & Out burger going for these days ??
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Re: CA minimum wage $20/hour ???

Post by FiatLux »

It should be $35 minimum per hour.

As far as how is it going?

I don't eat shit fast food so it doesn't really affect me.

Maybe it should be $35 an hour around the rest of the country. Then we wouldn't have so many fat fucks in the midwest, south and east.

Look at our friend in Louisiana. He's in and out of the hospital every two weeks. No doubt, due to his diet which we have all seen. Healthcare costs are already too expensive. Don't eat shit and Make America Great Again!
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Wolfman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:53 pm OK, CA clones, how's that working out for you ? What's a basic In & Out burger going for these days ??
Hold on to your pacemaker...

In Denmark most McDonald's employees make $22/hour.

The cost of a Big Mac in Denmark is around $4.73.

The chicken littles screaming that the cost of fast food has to go up astronomically when the minimum wage goes up are full of shit.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:06 pm The chicken littles screaming that the cost of fast food has to go up astronomically when the minimum wage goes up are full of shit.
Then how the fuck is the CEO gonna get his billion per annum?!
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Sudden Sam wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:38 pm
Diego in Seattle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:06 pm The chicken littles screaming that the cost of fast food has to go up astronomically when the minimum wage goes up are full of shit.
9/27/22
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:07 pm
Sudden Sam wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:38 pm
And now for some math.

The CEO of McDonalds made $19,200,000 last year. McDonalds has 150,000 employees. Let's assume each employee works 20 hours per week. If the evil CEO gave his entire salary to the employees, they would see raises of, on average, $0.12 per hour.

Yup...Twelve cents.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

The average hourly rate at In N Out was already $19.66 according to Indeed.

And if you’re worried about how much it costs to eat at McDonalds then you’re eating way too much at McDonalds. This is just another right wing MAGA culture war hot button to excite their gullible base. Congrats for continually taking the bait.

A combo at Mickey D’s was already up to about $13 to $15. I grilled some boneless chicken breasts, along with fresh asparagus and jasmine rice last night for about $3 per plate (not including the propane for the Weber) and it was a lot better than any fast food meal you’ll ever get. Add a glass of $80 per bottle wine and that brings it up to a comparable cost.

Worried about fast food prices…what a bunch of stupid, lazy fucks.

The wine we really had was a $35.00 rosé so I still came out ahead.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Mikey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:23 pm Worried about fast food prices…what a bunch of stupid, lazy fucks.
Hey! I resemble that remark!
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

"Sheep"---- do as you are told.
What a life.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Mikey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:23 pm
The wine we really had was a $35.00

For that money, you could get three bottles of Chateau Ripple. Clearly you've never had a hangover and passed by a McDonalds.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Wolfman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:03 am "Sheep"---- do as you are told.
What a life.
WTF are you babbling about here? Did you get lost in the wrong thread or something? Maybe had the voice recognition activated on your flip phone without realizing it, and fat thumbed “submit” by mistake?
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

You cannot make a man worth a given amount by making it illegal for anyone to offer him anything less. You merely deprive him of the right to earn the amount that his abilities and situation would permit him to earn, while you deprive the community even of the moderate services that he is capable of rendering. In brief, for a low wage you substitute unemployment. You do harm all around, with no comparable compensation. — Henry Hazlitt
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"

Karl Marx

Which flies in the face of social democratic thought as it doesn't imply equality.
Roux
Elwood

Post by Roux »

FiatLux wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:04 pm Look at our friend in Louisiana. He's in and out of the hospital every two weeks. No doubt, due to his diet which we have all seen.
Damnit, I have not had surgery in 3 years or so, and that was my shoulder. And crawfish etouffee didn't tear my rotator cuff.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Dr_Phibes wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 am "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"

Karl Marx

Which flies in the face of social democratic thought as it doesn't imply equality.
You have lots of supporters on this board, though they may not yet realize it.

That quote, by the way, always reminds me of a worker at the DMV slowly handing over a renewed license plate sticker to a person who’s been waiting in line since morning. :lol:
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

L45B wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:44 am
Dr_Phibes wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 am "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs"

Karl Marx

You have lots of supporters on this board, though they may not yet realize it.

That quote, by the way, always reminds me of a worker at the DMV slowly handing over a renewed license plate sticker to a person who’s been waiting in line since morning. :lol:
That reminds me of going to McDonald's during lunch time & seeing people wait in line for several minutes, finally getting to the counter, and asking "okay, what do you have?" Those people who pull that shit are the same people who show up at DMV counters with 0% of their shit together. I've always gotten right in & out of the DMV when I've had to conduct business there.

THAT'S why the lines at the DMV are so long. But go ahead & continue the Republican mantra of blaming workers.:meds:
9/27/22
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Roux wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:21 am And crawfish etouffee didn't tear my rotator cuff.
I don’t know, Chip. I’ve eaten scoops of etoufee piled high enough to do some damage. 😄
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Funny, I’m 68 years old and never picked up a license plate sticker at the DMV. Around here we use something called US Mail.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Mikey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:21 pm Funny, I’m 68 years old and never picked up a license plate sticker at the DMV. Around here we use something called US Mail.
I live in a rural Alabama county and got my online renewal notices yesterday. I love going to the county courthouse, though, so I headed down there and knocked out all my tags in 5 minutes. I enjoy seeing the folks and the old building is pretty cool.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Around here you avoid going into the DMV office if at all possible. Sometimes you can make an appointment but you have to do it months in advance. If you walk in, you first have to talk to a greeter who asks what you’re there for. Then they give you a number and you have to wait in a large room with several hundred other people and watch the board for your number to be called, usually at least an hour and often much longer. Even if you have an appointment you have to wait in line for the greeter, and no guarantee that you’ll get in right away. Last time I was in there they only had maybe half of the 20 or 30 windows staffed. If you show up at 7:00 or 7:30 am and wait in line outside you can often get in and out pretty quickly, especially if you have your paperwork all ready to go, which most people don’t seem to be able to manage.

Online registration and license renewal is pretty convenient, especially in comparison, with pretty fast turnaround, unless you have to go in for a written or physical test. Anything more complicated where you might have to correspond by mail can take a month or more for them to turn around.

It’s the worst fucking bureaucracy I’ve ever encountered.

Well, except for maybe the Public Utilities Commission. But most people don’t have to deal with that, and I don’t want get started.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

I love my small town. The DMV office is only open 3 days a week, there is never a line, everyone is super nice and I can get out in 30 minutes regardless of why I'm there. My wife let her license lapse by 90 days which is supposed to require a new application, written test, etc. The DMV lady was like, "Nah, you're good to renew."

Maybe, just mayyybe Cali is packing too many people into too small a landmass?
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:23 pm And now for some math.

The CEO of McDonalds made $19,200,000 last year. McDonalds has 150,000 employees. Let's assume each employee works 20 hours per week. If the evil CEO gave his entire salary to the employees, they would see raises of, on average, $0.12 per hour.

Yup...Twelve cents.
That's a shit ton of money!

Sin,

Sixteen Cents Joe, 4 July, 2021.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Mikey wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:16 pm It’s the worst fucking bureaucracy I’ve ever encountered.
This was exactly my point. Not really the fault of the people that work there, they’re just drones in the long established “no-need-to-evolve-anything” cultural environment.

I mean, we’ve had smart phones for how long now, and no DMV I know of has advanced past paper forms and manual shuffling.

To me, the local DMV is indicative of just about anything run by the government because there is zero incentive for improved efficiency. Stagnation is the norm. And you’re punished if you don’t conform with their 1950s style process (no surprise somebody on here passes that with flying colors).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rootbeer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:16 pm I love my small town. The DMV office is only open 3 days a week, there is never a line, everyone is super nice and I can get out in 30 minutes regardless of why I'm there. My wife let her license lapse by 90 days which is supposed to require a new application, written test, etc. The DMV lady was like, "Nah, you're good to renew."

Maybe, just mayyybe Cali is packing too many people into too small a landmass?
You're right, to a certain degree. There's a whole lot of empty space here but most of it is either too hot, too dry or too mountainous to make it inhabitable by many people. Most people are concentrated near the coast between San Francisco and San Diego. There's even a whole lot of empty space along the coast between San Francisco and Santa Barbara.

In 1955, the year I was born, there were 13,000,000 people in California. When I graduated from HS there were 21,000,000. Now there's 39,000,000. Way too many, especially considering the water situation. Everybody says we need more storage. But we don't need more storage, we need fewer people...or fewer almond groves and alfalfa fields. I'm not so inclined to cut my shower short when I know that 80% of the useable water goes to agriculture, mostly grazing, nuts, alfalfa and and other water intensive crops, most of which is exported at huge profits for mostly mega-sized agriculture concerns. You drive up the central valley (which has very little natural water) and you see all these signs "No Water - No Food," which is a blatant lie. Most of what they produce feeds the rest of the US and a lot of the world, China and Saudi Arabia being among the biggest customers. San Diego County farms could feed all the local residents without any help from Central Valley MAGA country.

In Saudi Arabia they're prohibited from growing alfalfa because it uses too much water. So they buy it from California and Arizona. Go figure.
Roach
The Space Man

Post by Roach »

I'm not so inclined to cut my shower short when I know that 80% of the useable water goes to agriculture, mostly grazing, nuts, alfalfa and and other water intensive crops, most of which is exported at huge profits for mostly mega-sized agriculture concerns
Hey Mikey this is the exact scenario in northern Utah. Great Salt Lake is drying up, and population has doubled in 15 years, but companies using water rights from the 1800's grow and export huge alfalfa and other crops. And the 80% usage number for ag is similar here.

Our awesome legislature protects the companies from revealing their real cost and usage data, while they vomit out of the other side of their mouths to Save The Lake. Fukkin clown show. They even passed a law to let golf courses hide their water usage data. To "avoid shaming"

And they are a cheap date. The lobby group for outdoor signage here only had to pony up about $2,000 per legislator and senator to get their way in making utah highways beautiful. Maybe they get temple tickets for doing the right thing about water.

:drink:
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

The DMV sucks in 95% of the world.
Feel fortunate if it does not where you live.
It's a vicious circle. Lazy ass workers are beaten
down by management that has them trained to be
unemotional robots, dealing with unprepared
customers missing half of the necessary paperwork
to conduct their business. Could they speed up
the process? Sure. Would they like to speed it
up? Probably. But why? They will just replace
one rude customer that is missing vital information
to finish the transaction with another.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

FiatLux wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:04 pm It should be $35 minimum per hour.
Back to the real topic.

m2 is on the right track but i think he’s lowballing here.

Why can’t it be $50/hour?

$100/hour?

I think it should be $500/hour. That’s why minimum wage has never solved the supposed wealth gap. It hasn’t been high enough! :lol:
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

How can anyone survive on $20 an hour?

Hell, how can you survive on $35 an hour?

I guess if you're living five to a room.

These aren't mom and pop stores. These are giant corporations that only have to pay $20 an hour. I think they'll survive.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

FiatLux wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:28 pm How can anyone survive on $20 an hour?

I guess if you're living five to a room.

These aren't mom and pop stores. These are giant corporations that only have to pay $20 an hour. I think they'll survive.
I would guess the majority of impacted businesses are franchise owners, which means they will just raise their prices.

Despite the filtered approach, this policy never guarantees anything except future unemployment.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We, Mrs Mike and I, had lunch at In N Out this afternoon. None of them are franchises, BTW. All owned by the family business.

Double Double animal style (grilled onions and secret sauce)
Cheeseburger, protein style (lettuce wrap, no bun)
Fries, well done (cooked a little longer so they're crispier)
Fries, regular
Two drinks (serve yourself with unlimited refills)

With tax it was $20.58. So it's not breaking the bank, and they do have an option to make three monthly payments.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

FiatLux wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:28 pm How can anyone survive on $20 an hour?

Sure, fair questions. But minimum wage laws don’t magically create jobs for everyone at those levels.

Minimum wage laws don’t create jobs, period. It only outlaws them. And hollows out the lower and middle tier affected employers so the upper tier (who can best absorb the additional labor cost) have less competition.

Employees at those lower to middle tier employers get cut out.

No matter how filtered the sample size, that’s the real effect. And politicians that sign up for these laws should grow a backbone and just come clean and admit that that’s what they want to happen.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

StrawMan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:51 pm

Yup...Twelve cents.

Sin,

This cannot go unracked.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:20 pm

Yup...Twelve cents.

Sin,

This cannot go unracked.
McDonald’s doesn’t have that many employees, not even close. They rent their brand to franchises who own the stores. McDonald’s has far fewer employees who do lease deals and enforce brand standards.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Left Seater wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:33 pm
HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:20 pm

Sin,

This cannot go unracked.
McDonald’s doesn’t have that many employees, not even close. They rent their brand to franchises who own the stores. McDonald’s has far fewer employees who do lease deals and enforce brand standards.
You don't understand how franchises work. Got it.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Try again. I completely understand. The wife and I are invested in a few.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.