any home baristas here?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Roux
Elwood

any home baristas here?

Post by Roux »

We have that Keurig and it has been ok, nothing fancy but it is easy and has made basic coffee for us.

But it broke and so now I'm looking at a replacement. Tempted to just get another one, but maybe not.

Anyone into home espresso? Anyone have something like this at home?

Sure, it would be nice to be able to have a legit espresso or cappuccino at home, but I'm not technical and all those knobs and buttons probably would end up frustrating me.

Anyway, are any of y'all espresso makers and have suggestions on good machines?
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Re: any home baristas here?

Post by Smackie Chan »

I've found that Keurig machines last 2-3 yrs. I've had a Mixpresso for nearly 10 yrs and it's still going strong, never needs descaling, works like it's new.
"I see everything twice!"
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

I've never gotten into espresso-based coffee (even with all the "sexpresso stands"). I've got a Keurig that's now at 4 years. I wish it could make a bigger cup, but that's about the only complaint I have about it.

Chip, I'm pretty sure that you can purchase K-pods that have espresso beans. Or is having steamed milk (and the associated cleanup) that important to you?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

K-pods are expensive and wasteful, a needless part of the ridiculous stream of plastic waste that’s poisoning our planet. Stop being lazy and try making it yourself. You might even find that you like it better.

JMHO
Roux
Elwood

Post by Roux »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:57 am sexpresso stands
Had to Google that, never heard of it. Those haven't made it to south Louisiana. And just as I don't go to Hooters or Twin Peaks, I wouldn't go there.

Last night I found a Breville Barista Touch Impress, which supposedly makes things easy. But even so, it costs $1500 and that is just insane to spend that on a coffee machine. A quick look at Smackie's Mixpresso shows that it is around $100 and that makes more sense.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Mikey wrote:K-pods are expensive and wasteful, a needless part of the ridiculous stream of plastic waste that’s poisoning our planet. Stop being lazy and try making it yourself. You might even find that you like it better.

JMHO
Agreed. It’s a major convenience for daily coffee drinkers. Wife forced off the K-pods and now we grind and make our coffee the old fashioned way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
88BuckeyeGrad
Elwood

Post by 88BuckeyeGrad »

The 88's have a Jura D6. I don't think it is made anymore. Here is the closest to it: https://shopjura.com/jura-at-home/e6-pi ... k-nac.html

We love it. This is our third Jura machine. I bought the first two used.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Mikey wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:32 pm K-pods are expensive and wasteful, a needless part of the ridiculous stream of plastic waste that’s poisoning our planet.
Hope you and all the rest of us are going barefoot. Those damn athletic shoes we love are destroying the planet with every step we take.

https://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/c ... ge-coming/
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:14 pm
Mikey wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:32 pm K-pods are expensive and wasteful, a needless part of the ridiculous stream of plastic waste that’s poisoning our planet.
Hope you and all the rest of us are going barefoot. Those damn athletic shoes we love are destroying the planet with every step we take.

https://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/c ... ge-coming/
Apples and oranges.

There’s a lot of stuff that we use that’s made of plastic and it would be great if we could find a way to replace all of it with something less destructive.

I buy a new pair of Merrells about every two years and I have three pairs in the rotation at all times. The new pair goes to every day use for going out in public (on days that I actually wear shoes). The previous pair becomes my everyday walking shoes (we do 1.5 to 3 miles every morning). The walking pair then becomes my yard work shoes, and the yard work pair gets trashed. I buy a new pair when the current yard shoes become unusable.

There’s no other option at this point for shoes. But that’s a lot different than “disposable” coffee pods. Some people go through three or four of these every day and there are perfectly good options that add nothing to the stream of plastic waste. In fact you almost surely would get a better cup of coffee by doing it yourself. It’s just not quite as convenient.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Mr. Coffee.
I make an 8 cup pot every morning for myself.
I use only one flat (NOT ROUNDED) scoop total.
Not exactly black coffee. About the color of tea.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

kcdave wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:12 am Mr. Coffee.
I make an 8 cup pot every morning for myself.
I use only one flat (NOT ROUNDED) scoop total.
Not exactly black coffee. About the color of tea.
Wow... overwhelmingly interesting info there. Good stuff, dave. Keep bringin' it.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Master Chef electric kettle.

Two rounded tablespoons Nescafe Rich instant. Double sugar, 'I Love Islam' mug.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I go into the break room at work and, when nobody’s looking, fish used K-pods from the trash, and take them home and re-use them. You can usually get a decent second cup from these. Maybe not quite as good as the first but it’s free and it helps reduce the plastic waste stream.
Roux
Elwood

Post by Roux »

Mikey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:14 am I go into the break room at work and, when nobody’s looking, fish used K-pods from the trash, and take them home and re-use them. You can usually get a decent second cup from these. Maybe not quite as good as the first but it’s free and it helps reduce the plastic waste stream.
Dude. Do you pull out used paper towels from the bathroom trashcan and reuse them as well?
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Yeah, I like to pick cigarette butts off the ground and take them home.

I fire them up -----> later.

They are the best!

More nicotine than what is in a regular cigarette.

Rack me!
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Roux wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:41 am
Mikey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:14 am I go into the break room at work and, when nobody’s looking, fish used K-pods from the trash, and take them home and re-use them. You can usually get a decent second cup from these. Maybe not quite as good as the first but it’s free and it helps reduce the plastic waste stream.
Dude. Do you pull out used paper towels from the bathroom trashcan and reuse them as well?
Jesus H Christ that’s gorss.

I would never do that at work. With other people’s paper towels. At home I’ll often dry them out on a towel rack and re-use them. As long as at least one side isn’t visibly soiled.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

I guess y’all let your toilet paper dry and then flick the dried shit off it so you can reuse it ?!
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I’m a cold brew guy, have been for years (before it became a thing).

I buy whole beans from a few different roasters in the city and from upstate NY, use my Breville grinder at beginning of each batch.

In fact, I would argue anyone who isn’t using freshly ground beans has no idea what they’re doing.

As for hot espresso, I worked for a company with an office in Paris and they had a Jura machine and that thing pumped out a pretty good cup of java.

Coffee fiends like myself were made to live in the city. Non Starbucks coffee shops at every corner in NYC.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

L45B wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:23 pm I’m a cold brew guy, have been for years (before it became a thing).

I buy whole beans from a few different roasters in the city and from upstate NY, use my Breville grinder at beginning of each batch.

In fact, I would argue anyone who isn’t using freshly ground beans has no idea what they’re doing.

As for hot espresso, I worked for a company with an office in Paris and they had a Jura machine and that thing pumped out a pretty good cup of java.

Coffee fiends like myself were made to live in the city. Non Starbucks coffee shops at every corner in NYC.
Cold brew here too. What do you use to brew it? We have a small fleet of these guys, which hold one quart each. The wife likes to use 50% chicory root (don’t ask me why) so we have to have two different batches going. The only problem is that you have to think about it the night before.

StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

Whatever method you use, Community Coffee rules.
Roux
Elwood

Post by Roux »

Community Coffee? Was not expecting to see that Baton Rouge company brought up here. Yeah, good stuff.

L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Mikey wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:37 pm Cold brew here too. What do you use to brew it?

I use Rumble Jar (similar device as yours) but only switched to this recently as it’s a relatively quick process to make small batches. I use a coarse setting on the Brevel grinder, fill up the receptacle with the grounds, put in the mason jar, fill up with filtered water, then shake (and then top off any extra room with more water).

Before that, I had a more manual process but used a huge ~128oz mason jar and mixed larger portion of grounds with Volvic bottled water, stirred and then extracted through a sieve. Bigger batches but more time consuming so eventually ditched it for the Rumble Jar.

Nonetheless, no matter how many batches I make at home I am a sucker for a one-off coffee shop that serves it. Kidney alert.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield