Beef Jerky

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Beef Jerky

Post by Mikey »

I used to love me some beef jerky, but haven't indulged much over the past few decades. Mostly because I can't find any that's worth a shit. Any that you can find in a store is full of sugar and so "tender" that toofless inbreds like HPG would chew it with their gums. They actually advertise how tender it is. WTF. Jerky needs to be tough enough to at least chew on for a while, and not 50% brown sugar.

Anybody know any brands that fit the bill? I found some the other day at Costco that's actually close. It's called Tillamook Country Smoker Zero Sugar Beef Jerky. The taste is there and the texture is close, but still a little wimpy. I guess maybe I need to learn to make my own.
88BuckeyeGrad
Elwood

Re: Beef Jerky

Post by 88BuckeyeGrad »

I'm not a big fan of jerky. No help here.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

There is a great jerky shop in Lake Placid & Tillamook is one of the best ice cream brands you can buy in the store.

The more you know....
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

I make my own and it's better than anything you can buy. I have the butcher slice a bottom round roast (pricier cuts of meat aren't necessary for good jerky) as thin as he can, a little less than 1/4" inch, then I trim off as much fat as I can and slice it into good size strips. Marinate overnight in Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, beer, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and a little crushed red pepper. Smoke it on a Traeger for 3-4 hours. Perfection.
"I see everything twice!"
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I’m gonna have to try this. It’s about that time of year to bust out the smoker. Unfortunately I don’t have a Traeger. The offset smoker just requires a little more attention.

My birthday’s coming up in a couple of months though. I may have to start dropping some clues.