Vietnam Art & Front Line Humor

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

StrawMan
Elwood

Vietnam Art & Front Line Humor

Post by StrawMan »

Intro:

My cousin Jay was a Huey Gunship pilot in Vietnam. He was highly decorated for his service in 1967-69. Over the years, he has shared several of his combat experiences with me. Talk about intense and horrific shit! But that’s not the point today.

The point of including a little of Jay’s background is so I can explain where this story came from. Vietnam Helo drivers and crew members are a tight group. They regularly meet up and stay in touch with each other throughout the year. Joe Kline was a helicopter crew chief in Vietnam and has become an accomplished aviation artist.

https://joeklineart.com/about

Joe Kline emailed this story to Jay recently and Jay shared it with me:

The other evening I was telling my grandson about an incident that occurred while on perimeter guard at Camp Eagle in 1970. As the story goes "It was a dark and stormy night". The 4 of us were sitting up on top of one of the perimeter bunkers, we never went inside because they were full of rats. Anyhoo, apparently a small monkey got tangled up in the concertina wire and set off a trip flare, of course we thought it was an NVA human wave assault. The monkey's thrashing shadow was projected up into the fog and drizzle like when you hold your hand close to a flashlight at night. I did this painting from a 54 year memory as seen through the eyes of a wet, cold, tired G.I., and scared shitless I might add!

Are there any vets here at T1B? If so, please consider posting your experiences.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Re: Vietnam Art & Front Line Humor

Post by Sudden Sam »

Very cool, Strawman.

We need more threads like this. Mr. Kline’s paintings and the monkey story…good stuff.

I have a friend who is ex AF. He used to do paintings of specific aircraft for the pilots of those planes. I’ll see if he will allow me to share any of those.

From Joe Kline’s site:
Stairway to Heaven
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I was never sent into harm's way. 2 times was ordered to get ready. Once to the Congo to protect Americans there and the other the Cuban Missile Crisis of course. Both times got orders to stand down.
Had a friend, Nam Vet, show up at my house contemplating suicide. I took him to the VA Psychiatric ward in Syracuse to get help. VERY scary place where you get locked in and the only door out is manned by a big burly guy with the key around his neck. No one in there has belts, shoelaces, or bathrobe ties. There were some old guys with WW2---shell shock as it used to be called. Anyway whatever they did cured him. I went and got him released and he was OK from that time.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

StrawMan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 am Are there any vets here at T1B? If so, please consider posting your experiences.
I broke my pinky finger playing football on the beach in the Philippines when I was active duty AF. Hurt kinda bad but to my knowledge no one captured the moment on canvas.
"I see everything twice!"
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

While I an a veteran of several dangerous combat missions in Quake2, I had little to do with Vietnam.

I did see a few Billy Jack films and thought they were complete shite along with Platoon, Apocalypse Now has to be the grandaddy.
Big shout-out to Odd Angry Shot, little known Australian film on Vietnam. Aussie soldiers pound cans of Fosters and swear a lot.
Favourite quote from the film:
Harry: I said 'get fucked', you great beer-sodden bag of shit!

Sergeant-Major: Right, you're all on a charge.

Harry: Well, you'd better make it murder, because I'm gonna knock your fucking head right off.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Smackie Chan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:07 pm
StrawMan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 am Are there any vets here at T1B? If so, please consider posting your experiences.
I broke my pinky finger playing football on the beach in the Philippines when I was active duty AF. Hurt kinda bad but to my knowledge no one captured the moment on canvas.
:lol:
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dr_Phibes wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:49 pm
I did see a few Billy Jack films and thought they were complete shite
Wait. What?

You probably hate your neighbor. And I imagine you didn't like Then Came Bronson, either.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

That aged horribly. He's an Indian, Green Beret, Vietnam vet, Kung Fu expert and gunslinger. All that's missing is cyborg and mutant and he's every action hero ever made.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mikey wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:12 pm
Dr_Phibes wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:49 pm
I did see a few Billy Jack films and thought they were complete shite
Wait. What?

You probably hate your neighbor.
He probably hates his friend as well.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Rack
Diego in Seattle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:05 amHe probably hates his friend as well.
He just cheats them.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dr_Phibes wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:37 pmAll that's missing is cyborg and mutant and he's every action hero ever made.
I don’t think they existed in 1971.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Smackie Chan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:33 am
Rack
Diego in Seattle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:05 amHe probably hates his friend as well.
He just cheats them.
It's been many years since I've heard that song.
9/27/22
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:54 am It's been many years since I've heard that song.
Because you don't live in Canada. That shitty song from the shitty movie ticks every Canadian Content box in existence, so you get assaulted with it 24 hours a day, every day. It's like sharing a jail cell with the Poppy Family and Edward Bear for all eternity.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

Sudden Sam wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:37 am I have a friend who is ex AF. He used to do paintings of specific aircraft for the pilots of those planes. I’ll see if he will allow me to share any of those.

From Joe Kline’s site:
Stairway to Heaven

I'd love to see your friend's paintings. Hope he gives you the OK to post them!
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

StrawMan wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:33 pm I'd love to see your friend's paintings. Hope he gives you the OK to post them!
Hw wouldn’t mind at all, he said. Problem is that was all done before digital cameras. He said his photos of his paintings are in a box in his mom’s house in the Florida panhandle.

I have a shot somewhere I took of the only one I’ve seen. I’ll try to find it.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

Wolfman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:28 pm I was never sent into harm's way. 2 times was ordered to get ready. Once to the Congo to protect Americans there and the other the Cuban Missile Crisis of course. Both times got orders to stand down.
Had a friend, Nam Vet, show up at my house contemplating suicide. I took him to the VA Psychiatric ward in Syracuse to get help. VERY scary place where you get locked in and the only door out is manned by a big burly guy with the key around his neck. No one in there has belts, shoelaces, or bathrobe ties. There were some old guys with WW2---shell shock as it used to be called. Anyway whatever they did cured him. I went and got him released and he was OK from that time.
Even though you got orders to stand down, I'd imagine being on active duty during the Cuban Missile Crisis was pucker time.

Props for talking your friend down off the ledge, Wolfman! If you hadn't served our country when you did, you wouldn't have had the insight and shared experiences to relate to him so he trusted you. You literally saved his life.

BTW... what was it like charging up San Juan Hill? :smile:
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

Smackie Chan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:07 pm
Malingerers and Stolen Valor assholes have gotten Purple Hearts for less... so ya got that going for ya, which is nice.

Seriously, thanks for serving our country! You've gotta have some funny experiences from when you were in.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dr_Phibes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:58 am
Diego in Seattle wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:54 am It's been many years since I've heard that song.
Because you don't live in Canada. That shitty song from the shitty movie ticks every Canadian Content box in existence, so you get assaulted with it 24 hours a day, every day. It's like sharing a jail cell with the Poppy Family and Edward Bear for all eternity.
I'd trade One Tin Soldier for Donald Trump any day.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Mikey wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:49 pm
Dr_Phibes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:58 am
I'd trade One Tin Soldier for Donald Trump any day.
I'd hate to see what paintings tfg would produce after what he described as his own personal Vietnam....
9/27/22
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

This thread is great. My love for Catch-22 has been well discussed on .net and I won't rehash it here. The absurdity of war is something current generations are blessed to not understand.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:39 pmCatch-22
Re-reading it now. One of the best pieces of literature ever written.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

Smackie Chan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:17 am
:highfive:

Where are you in the story? Has Orr started practicing his "landings" yet?
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:50 am
Smackie Chan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:17 am
:highfive:

Where are you in the story? Has Orr started practicing his "landings" yet?
Not yet. In the Wintergreen chapter where Yossarian tackles Major Major, who will only see people in his office when he’s out of the office.