Screwy's tennis thread

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Screwy's tennis thread

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Couldn't find which previous thread we had turned into the tennis thread, so I thought I would start one. Don't think that Screwball has slowed down late in the season. I'm still playing as much as humanly possible. About four times a week right now. I'm doing a 2.5 DC parks and rec class (which I'm probably too good for) and I'm playing 3.0 doubles weekly at my club.

Then I've been volunteering in the parastanding class at my club. I do coach things, like feed balls to the players on volleys and ground strokes. Then I'll play doubles with them for the second half of the class. Nice warm and free indoor court time and I like meeting new people and sharing the joy of tennis. Then I'll hack around with other members and friends on weekends when the weather allows.

I have been playing a ton of doubles the last few months and it has been great. My net game has really improved and my improved volleying and net play has transferred over to my singles play. I am much better now at recognizing when my opponent is off-balance and vulnerable to putting a weak shot over the net for me to overhand smash to a point.

Previously I would recklessly rush the net all the time and opponents would see that and would shoot around me or over me. I'm still a bit vulnerable to lobs but guys don't shoot around me anymore. Getting a solid overhand smash off a weak shot from an opponent to end a point is better than sex.

The weather has been pretty good in DC, all things considered. My rule is I'll play in anything 50 deg or above. The balls don't bounce properly in colder weather. 50 deg and little wind is perfectly fine tennis weather, if not good because sweating your ass off like you do in the middle of summer sucks.

I've basically given up on doing forehand top spin. I would rarely do it right, and when I wouldn't do it right, I would just crank the ball. Now my touch is way better just hitting it flat and I can hit corners pretty good against peer competitors. Same thing with a slice. I rarely ever do a backhand slice because my two-handed backhand is solid more often than not. I know these are skills I need to develop but it's working for me against peer competitors at the moment.

Doubles is a hell of a lot of fun. Though I have to figure out how to protect myself better at the net. I've been buzzed a few times lately and it's probably going to happen more often as I move up the ranks.

Just signed up for my weekend club adult championships so I'm looking forward to getting battle tested again. War tennis!
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Re: Screwy's tennis thread

Post by Softball Bat »

Great post, SM!

Playing a lot of doubles IS indeed good for your singles game.

Growing up in Illinois, I played a sh!t ton of tennis in cold, windy weather.
Spring tennis in both high school and college made that mandatory.
It was difficult and not always very pleasant, but playing in weather like that toughens you up.

SM wrote:Getting a solid overhand smash off a weak shot from an opponent to end a point is better than sex.

88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'm playing in my club's adult championships this weekend. Lost my first game 4-1, 0-4, 3-5 and was up 3-2 in the final set. CAN YOU FUKKIN BELIEVE IT.

I need a better serve and I need to play more against guys with good serves because my opponent had a pretty good serve and I was giving away points fouling off his shots. I'm playing 3.0 doubles (and some singles) currently and I am one of the better players. I'm planning on playing 3.5 next session, it will be less fun but I'll get better.

FUKK!
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Nobody cares.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

SM wrote:Lost my first game 4-1, 0-4, 3-5 and was up 3-2 in the final set. CAN YOU FUKKIN BELIEVE IT.
I can believe it.
There is no clock in tennis, so it is possible to win or lose a match no matter how far up, or down, you are in a match.
You must get to the finish line by earning it.

It is a painful loss, but part of the growth process.
You learn more from your losses than you do from your victories.

3.5 will be a new and exciting challenge!
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

In the past two months I've known two friends blow up an achilles tendon playing pickle ball. Fukken pickle ball. So big ups to any old fart still playing full court.

Herky-jerkey stop and start sports are risky at my age but I am training for a 50 mile trail run next year. Long, slow, and steady is my jam these days. Just ask your moms.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Yes, fuck pickleball but how do you tear an Achilles playing pickleball? You literally lean around everywhere.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:34 am I do coach things, like feed balls to the players

That was always my favorite part, too!

Sin,

Jerry Sandusky
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.