Eternal Scobode

Feelin' 'Bout Half Past Dead

Post by Smackie Chan »

"I see everything twice!"
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Re: Feelin' 'Bout Half Past Dead

Post by Sudden Sam »

Alas, Dave, we’re gonna lose all the great late ‘60s/early ‘70s musicians we grew up loving. Soon it’ll be every other day someone dies. Very sad. But we have to consider how lucky we are to have grown up during a period of such innovative music.

RIP, Mr. Robertson. An incredible era loses another great.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

My grandparents thought the same thing about vaudeville and tin pan alley.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Sudden Sam wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:25 pm late ‘60s/early ‘70s musicians
He was playing lead guitar for Ronnie Hawkins in 1959 at age sixteen :shock:
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Kierland wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:29 pm My grandparents thought the same thing about vaudeville and tin pan alley.
And in 50-60 yrs the same will be said of Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Post Malone, et al. Of course, they’ll be wrong, as was the vaudeville generation. Ours is the only one that got it right.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Hurly-burly.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Sounds like he had a case of chest fever. Adios Robbie
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Smackie Chan wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:33 pm
Kierland wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:29 pm My grandparents thought the same thing about vaudeville and tin pan alley.
And in 50-60 yrs the same will be said of Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Post Malone, et al. Of course, they’ll be wrong, as was the vaudeville generation. Ours is the only one that got it right.
Damn right! :dance1:
Dr_Phibes wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:44 pm
Sudden Sam wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:25 pm late ‘60s/early ‘70s musicians
He was playing lead guitar for Ronnie Hawkins in 1959 at age sixteen :shock:
Yes. I’m talking The Band period. But you’re right in that a lot of these guys were doing session work (ex: Page) and playing in bands even earlier.
Bill in Houston
Eternal Scobode

Post by Bill in Houston »

Yeah, tt will play free bird, but nothing from the 50th Anniversary of the release of Innervisions. I would have thought that was something to consider, but alas not so from the narrow lens that is the town.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

He played “livin’ in the city” for SW’s BD last year. Might be too narrow for you but the album is represented from time to time.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:22 pm Sounds like he had a case of chest fever. Adios Robbie
What's chest fever?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Bill in Houston wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:53 am Yeah, tt will play free bird, but nothing from the 50th Anniversary of the release of Innervisions. I would have thought that was something to consider, but alas not so from the narrow lens that is the town.
I’m sure there are many milestones I’ve overlooked and a buncha crap that’s been played. And there’ll be more of both. To be expected with narrowness.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Bill in Houston wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:53 am Yeah, tt will play free bird, but nothing from the 50th Anniversary of the release of Innervisions. I would have thought that was something to consider, but alas not so from the narrow lens that is the town.
When did Smackie piss in your Wheaties?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Screw_Michigan wrote:What's chest fever?
A song by The Band off Music from Big Pink.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Shoulda added “, you pantload!”

Almost forgot what kind of board this is.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Smackie Chan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:57 am
Screw_Michigan wrote:What's chest fever?
A song by The Band off Music from Big Pink.
Good live version on Rock of Ages too.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:23 am
BSmack wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:22 pm Sounds like he had a case of chest fever. Adios Robbie
What's chest fever?
Air France probably didn’t cover it.

:lol:
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Everything dies, baby that’s a fact

But maybe everything that dies
Someday comes back

RIP
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Can someone explain to me the appeal of the Band? They seem talented and unique artists. But I guess I don't understand them. Is their claim to fame that they were Bob Dylan's backing band for a while? Why did Scorsese become their #1 fan?
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

He was their #2 fan because they were shit.

Sin,
The haters
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:04 pm Can someone explain to me the appeal of the Band? They seem talented and unique artists. But I guess I don't understand them. Is their claim to fame that they were Bob Dylan's backing band for a while? Why did Scorsese become their #1 fan?
Since taste in music (and art and everything, really) is subjective, it’s tough to explain why someone should like something they don’t “get.” With me, for instance, a good example would be jazz. I appreciate the talent and skill of jazz musicians, but the music generally doesn’t move me or create the sense of pleasure it does in true fans. Could be that I’m just shallow or narrow, as some might argue. But to try to answer your question, give this a read.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Smackie Chan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:50 pm Since taste in music (and art and everything, really) is subjective, it’s tough to explain why someone should like something they don’t “get.” With me, for instance, a good example would be jazz. I appreciate the talent and skill of jazz musicians, but the music generally doesn’t move me or create the sense of pleasure it does in true fans. Could be that I’m just shallow or narrow, as some might argue. But to try to answer your question, give this a read.
Thanks. That link makes a lot of sense. I watched the Last Waltz when I was in college. Will have to watch it again.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Smackie Chan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:50 pm
Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:04 pm Can someone explain to me the appeal of the Band? They seem talented and unique artists. But I guess I don't understand them. Is their claim to fame that they were Bob Dylan's backing band for a while? Why did Scorsese become their #1 fan?
Since taste in music (and art and everything, really) is subjective, it’s tough to explain why someone should like something they don’t “get.” With me, for instance, a good example would be jazz. I appreciate the talent and skill of jazz musicians, but the music generally doesn’t move me or create the sense of pleasure it does in true fans. Could be that I’m just shallow or narrow, as some might argue. But to try to answer your question, give this a read.
As we have discussed before, you don’t mind sitting at a table with Nazis. Some people however don’t like propaganda. Your stance seems to be you can separate the art from its content so it’s not propaganda cause you don’t care about the content. Some people do. Some people don’t like glorifying traitors and some people hold that against The Band. Think of it this way, if someone attacked your family killed some and maimed others, how bangin’ would the tune have to be for you to like a song glorifying them?

But I guess they were great cause they knew how to tell time. 😂
That one had me rolling.
Last edited by Kierland on Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Sudden Sam wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:25 pm Alas, Dave, we’re gonna lose all the great late ‘60s/early ‘70s musicians we grew up loving. Soon it’ll be every other day someone dies.

Except Keith Richards of course.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

The Seer wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:25 pm
Sudden Sam wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:25 pm Alas, Dave, we’re gonna lose all the great late ‘60s/early ‘70s musicians we grew up loving. Soon it’ll be every other day someone dies.

Except Keith Richards of course.
Of course!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kierland wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:20 pm As we have discussed before, you don’t mind sitting at a table with Nazis. Some people however don’t like propaganda. Your stance seems to be you can separate the art from its content so it’s not propaganda cause you don’t care about the content. Some people do. Some people don’t like glorifying traitors and some people hold that against The Band. Think of it this way, if someone attacked your family killed some and maimed others, how bangin’ would the tune have to be for you to like a song glorifying them?

That one had me rolling.
:-|
Meat Head
Elwood

Post by Meat Head »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:56 pm
Kierland wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:20 pm As we have discussed before, you don’t mind sitting at a table with Nazis. Some people however don’t like propaganda. Your stance seems to be you can separate the art from its content so it’s not propaganda cause you don’t care about the content. Some people do. Some people don’t like glorifying traitors and some people hold that against The Band. Think of it this way, if someone attacked your family killed some and maimed others, how bangin’ would the tune have to be for you to like a song glorifying them?

That one had me rolling.
:-|
Just more self indulgent narcissism. Everything is a nazi, including The Band. Like he knows shit.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

I didn’t say that. I said they glorified traitors. The Nazi sentence was about an earlier conversation which is why it’s framed that way.

Conversing with you is like explaining English to Cheese.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Why was The Band traitors?
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Et tu? I did not say that. I said they glorified them.
This link will give you an idea of the controversy. While it’s from the side of someone more akin to Smackie point of view (I think) it will go over all the criticisms I hold.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/08/night ... erate.html

And if you don’t know about the blues of Pharaoh read up a bit on that to get the idea. Or ask poptart. 😇
Last edited by Kierland on Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Smackie Chan wrote:
So, when did what we now call “classic rock” die?

If I had to pick a single event, I’d say it was John Bonham’s fondness of screwdrivers. You could make an argument for the Lynryd Skynrd plane crash as well, I guess.

The end of LZ left hard rock in the hands of 80s Big Hair Metal.

They were not a worthy successor.

The 80s did have a few good bands. SRV and DT, Metallica, G’n’R and a few others, but nothing like what we had in the 60-70s

And then a decade later, SRV’s decision to go for a helo ride was the last nail in the coffin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Make up your mind you fuckin’ dolt. Was it JB or SRV?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

You don’t read to gud.

I said LZ’s demise was pretty much the end of CR, but that the 80s had a few bright spots.

SRV’s death was kind of like dancing on CR’s 10 year old grave.

Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Again make up your mind. Was it dead 10 years on from JB or not? I read fine you waffling twat.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

And I’d like to echo SC’s take on what makes music great. We have very similar takes including not getting some jazz, although I suspect I might get a little more of it than he.

This is especially true of newer jazz.

I would also like to throw Steve Vai into the category of highly talented, but not my cup of tea.

Sorry Van, wherever you are!!

Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:03 pm . I watched the Last Waltz when I was in college. Will have to watch it again.
Don't bother, it'll be twice as shitty the second time.

Very talented group of youngsters and musicians who all apprenticed under Ronnie Hawkins, went out on their own and had the misfortune to exist and adapt to their own horrifying, contemporary time and style of music.
Had they come of age in the 80's, oldies record stations would still torture us with their clean, professionally done, synth-based soul-records.
Bill in Houston
Eternal Scobode

Post by Bill in Houston »

smackaholic wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:46 pm And I’d like to echo SC’s take on what makes music great. We have very similar takes including not getting some jazz, although I suspect I might get a little more of it than he.

This is especially true of newer jazz.

I would also like to throw Steve Vai into the category of highly talented, but not my cup of tea.

Sorry Van, wherever you are!!

WTF is “newer jazz”?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The end of classic rock was when bands wrote ballads, not because they had something to say, but because the labels were looking for that next hit. I’d say by 1983.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown