You mean catchers CAN'T block the plate?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

You mean catchers CAN'T block the plate?

Post by smackaholic »

I've been watching baseball a little over a half century. I've watched catchers stand in the basepath to block home plate a million times. I've heard announcers comment on how well the catcher did this.

Not once have I heard any mention of this being illegal, but it looks like it is. The twins catcher was called for blocking yesterday. And dude was pretty much right on top of the plate. The baserunner could have easily slid outside and still tagged the plate.

Looks like baseball may be going down the path the NFL has to make games unwatchable. Nice job.

Has anyone ever seen this called before?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Kierland

Re: You mean catchers CAN'T block the plate?

Post by Kierland »

The Buster Posey Rule has been in effect for 8 years and is there to keep people from being needlessly hurt, but since you and your shitty right wing tards are all about hurting as many people as you can you have a problem with it. Also you are so stupid you didn’t even know it was a rule for almost a decade.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:32 am I've been watching baseball a little over a half century. I've watched catchers stand in the basepath to block home plate a million times. I've heard announcers comment on how well the catcher did this.

Not once have I heard any mention of this being illegal, but it looks like it is. The twins catcher was called for blocking yesterday. And dude was pretty much right on top of the plate. The baserunner could have easily slid outside and still tagged the plate.

Looks like baseball may be going down the path the NFL has to make games unwatchable. Nice job.

Can't you just find people to play with you?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kierland wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:18 am The Buster Posey Rule has been in effect for 8 years and is there to keep people from being needlessly hurt, but since you and your shitty right wing tards are all about hurting as many people as you can you have a problem with it. Also you are so stupid you didn’t even know it was a rule for almost a decade.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

It’s called being ignorant, not stupid, dumbfukk.

And yes, I am quite ignorant of baseball rules.

It is a stupid rule.

The runner should be required to maneuver around the catcher. This base runner didn’t.

If you want to put a rule in place saying that the runner can’t steamroll the catcher ala Pete Rose, that would be understandable. But to say the catcher can’t stand in the way is dumb.

This makes about as much sense as the rule about head contact with tackling.

Running backs use it to draw bullshit calls, and I suspect you’ll start seeing baserunners NOT avoid a tag to draw a bullshit blocking foul.

For years I thought using replay to rectify terrible calls was a good idea.

Now that we have it…..I wish we didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

“I have been watching baseball for over 50 years and don’t know the rules.”

Sin,
Naziaholic
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Very casual watching. Mostly playoffs, really. The last few decades, it's been even more sporadic. I haven't watched a game start to finish, it probably 3 years.

For the large majority of those years, this shit rule was not in effect.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:23 pm
smackaholic wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:32 am I've been watching baseball a little over a half century. I've watched catchers stand in the basepath to block home plate a million times. I've heard announcers comment on how well the catcher did this.

Can't you just find people to play with you?
I see what you're attempting to do here. Trouble is, it makes no fukking sense. Try harder, Mr journalist (allegedly).
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:18 pm I see what you're attempting to do here. Trouble is, it makes no fukking sense. Try harder, Mr journalist (allegedly).
Yeah, it makes perfect fukking sense. I'm clowning you, you fukkin idiot.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

smackaholic wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm Very casual watching. Mostly playoffs, really. The last few decades, it's been even more sporadic. I haven't watched a game start to finish, it probably 3 years.

So you are threatening to stop watching a sport you don’t watch cause it’s not violent enough.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:23 pmCan't you just find people to play with you?
:lol:
"I see everything twice!"
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kierland wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:23 pm So you are threatening to stop watching a sport you don’t watch cause it’s not violent enough.
Sounds like a lot of hockey "fans".
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Catchers are wearing all sorts of protective gear, even after dumping the mask. Sort of gives them an advantage in a potential collision, no matter what Ray Fosse might tell you.

It’s not supposed to be a contact sport anyway.

LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

The loophole in the Posey rule is that if the catcher comes up the line--at all--then it becomes, in the words of SFPD, "mutual combat." :P
Before God was, I am
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Kierland wrote:
smackaholic wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:16 pm Very casual watching. Mostly playoffs, really. The last few decades, it's been even more sporadic. I haven't watched a game start to finish, it probably 3 years.

So you are threatening to stop watching a sport you don’t watch cause it’s not violent enough.
I’m not threatening anything, fukk stick. I’m simply making an observation.

Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Mikey wrote:Catchers are wearing all sorts of protective gear, even after dumping the mask. Sort of gives them an advantage in a potential collision
Sort of.

On the other hand, the catcher's eyes are concentrating on catching a ball, while the runner can line the catcher up and unload on him like a missile.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

smackaholic wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:40 am
Kierland wrote:

I’m not threatening anything, fukk stick. I’m simply making an observation.

So you are going to watch something that’s unwatchable that you don’t watch. Nice going pretzel man.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Softball Bat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:13 am
Mikey wrote:Catchers are wearing all sorts of protective gear, even after dumping the mask. Sort of gives them an advantage in a potential collision
Sort of.

On the other hand, the catcher's eyes are concentrating on catching a ball, while the runner can line the catcher up and unload on him like a missile.
And now that we know more about CTE injuries most sports are trying to minimize collisions.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Funny thing is I’m finding since the human rain delays got told to hurry up and play, that baseball is more watchable than ever.

Sent from my iPhone using a big network of tubes.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

smackaholic wrote:For years I thought using replay to rectify terrible calls was a good idea.

Now that we have it…..I wish we didn’t.
Replay sucks horse cakk.

On the play in discussion, the ump on the field made the correct call -- and the replay booth shit the bed with their overrule.

smackaholic wrote:Not once have I heard any mention of this being illegal, but it looks like it is. The twins catcher was called for blocking yesterday. And dude was pretty much right on top of the plate. The baserunner could have easily slid outside and still tagged the plate.
The rule is that the catcher has to give the baserunner a lane to home plate, unless it is necessary for the catcher to block the runner in order to field the incoming throw.

The Twins catcher followed the rule, the runner was out, and the replay booth fugged this one up.

It is detailed in this video...

88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Great video explanation. Gotta agree with Rocco. The catcher played it 💯% by the book. The faceless replay douche just made everybody on the field, including the umpires, look like idiots.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

I thought this was a thread about preventing Monkeypox spread in homothectuals.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

More projection.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The runner had a clear path to the plate. All he had to do was slide a little wide of it and reach around the catcher.

The rule is utter shit. It is yet another attempt by authorities to make things "safe".

What it does is reward a runner for not having the dexterity to avoid a tag. It will result in clever runners using a strategy of just going straight in and being safe via a bullshit rule rather than because they actually beat the tag.

So what's next?

I know. Let's put a pitch speed limit in effect. I think maybe 55 mph might be good, in tribute of our old "safe" speed limit.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

The sport is not violent enough for you we get it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

So, you're for limiting pitch speed?

There are two things is baseball that cause most injury. The biggest would be injuries that come from running fast and throwing fast. Primarily knee injuries from running and shoulder/arm injuries from pitching.

Let's put in pitch and running speed limits.

If there is any kind of rule that should be put in place regarding runner catcher interaction, it should be that the runner can't just tee off on the catcher, Pete Rose style.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I just watched the Posey collision.

Posey was not blocking the plate in any way. The runner was not making any attempt at all to slide. He knew he wouldn't beat the tag. He knew his only option was to knock Posey into the dugout and get him to drop the ball. And he did just that.

So, as I said earlier, address the fukking problem which is runners teeing off on catchers, rather than telling catchers they have to get out of the way, until they have the ball. Then they can get in the way and the runner can knock them cold.

It is such an idiotic solution to an actual problem. The rule should state that the runner must slide to the plate, not drop a shoulder and try to put it through the catchers chest.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Another bullshit application of this rule. Also overruling the call on the field.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/padres-b ... o-reaction

Great throw by Soto BTW.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

smackaholic wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:26 pm So, you're for limiting pitch speed?

There are two things is baseball that cause most injury. The biggest would be injuries that come from running fast and throwing fast. Primarily knee injuries from running and shoulder/arm injuries from pitching.

Let's put in pitch and running speed limits.

If there is any kind of rule that should be put in place regarding runner catcher interaction, it should be that the runner can't just tee off on the catcher, Pete Rose style.
You even use Whataboutism with sports takes, pathetic.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

No, dumbfukk. You defend shit rules in the name of safety. So I explain how the large majority of injuries happen. And it is not due to collisions.

I then ask about making the actual problem, runners deliberately steamrolling catchers illegal and I get crickets.

Posey is cited as justification, yet the Posey collision was not an example of what they are trying to prevent.

This rule should simply state that the runner must actually attempt to slide low. If he comes in shoulder first chest high, he should be called out and suspended 5 games. A bullshit, very difficult rule dictating catcher position is ridiculous. It puts zero responsibility on the runner. He is STILL free to steamroll the catcher. And once the catcher has the ball, he is free to block the plate.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

You literally brought up pitch speed and asked what about it. Do you even read what you type? This is why you are such a hot mess in all the political threads. You have absolutely no idea how logic works. How’s the Orange traytorr you love so much doing these days anyway.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

You brought up safety.

I said if safety is your primary concern, why not address unsafe activities connected to baseball. These would be throwing a ball at high speed, which is hazardous to the pitcher's arm and the batter's noggin and running at high speeds with directional changes.

I would still like to see you actually defend this abortion of a rule, which you have failed to even address. All you ever do is throw insults and false claims of 'bode.

So, I will go over it again. Perhaps you can actually point out where my logic fails.

The problem, which I think we all can agree on, is collisions at the plate. These collisions, at least the example which the fukking rule is named after, are the result of the runner, employing the long accepted tactic of attempting to knock the catcher into next week. They are not cases where there is a collision because the runner was trying to slide and the catcher just happened to be in the way.

Given that purposeful attempts to knock the ball loose is the issue and it is obvious, why not make THAT tactic illegal, rather than making some complex rule about catcher position, especially since it does not address the on purpose collision part at all. Dropping a shoulder and nailing the catcher is apparently still legal and this shit rule says that once the catcher does have the ball, he can block and a collision is likely.

My guess is you aren't so stupid that you fail to understand what I am saying. You are simply a contrarian cunt.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

What about pitch speed is literally Whataboutism. It’s in the name dum dum.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mark Twain was right.

Never argue with an idiot.

But, WTF, I got some time to burn.

So I use “whataboutism” when discussing a topic.

So does pretty much anyone.

And since you can’t address my point in any coherent way, you do what you do. You call something a name.

It’s all you got.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:46 pm Mark Twain was right.

And since you can’t address my point in any coherent way, you do what you do. You call something a name.

It’s all you got.

What about Hunter Biden's laptop?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

You mean the one the FBI supposedly lost?

Kierland

Post by Kierland »

smackaholic wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:46 pm Mark Twain was right.

It’s all you got.

Nice backpedal traytorr.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Backpedal, how?

Because I plead guilty to your silly "whataboutism" charge?

Apparently you are still unwilling to discuss the actual issue which is how can we do something that might actually decrease catcher injuries, so I guess I'm done with you.

Anyone else here want to defend this assine rule or this abortion of a call? Or perhaps tell me where my take is wrong?
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

I defended against an accusation of Whataboutism.
Then I admitted to it.
It was rightly pointed out that that was a backpedal.
So now I have denied the backpedal.

Sin,
Dumb & Dumber in the same person
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:28 pm
Softball Bat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:13 am
Sort of.

And now that we know more about CTE injuries most sports are trying to minimize collisions.
I've given up on any hopes of a debate about the actual rule from the midget.

You got anything other than pointing out that CTE is a bad thing?

Seems like a pretty simple problem with a simple fix. That fix is to make it illegal for the runner to go in, chest high, shoulder first. The plate. last time I checked, is on the ground. This is why sliding is a thing. It is very easy to tell what the runner's intent is.