Numbers

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Numbers

Post by Softball Bat »

I posted a thread like this a number of years ago at .net.

John Madden wrote a chapter in one of his books about numbers and players, and how they should match.
For example, an 8 is a number that makes a player look taller than say, a 4, which will make a player look more "box" shaped.

Madden identified certain players that fit will with the numbers they wore, and he explained how.
An 8, for example, should not be worn by a short guy.
A 2 cannot be a big guy.

For some reason I found it really interesting.

So with that said, here are some for our crowd here...

68 – shutyomouth

Big-bodied, sturdy, and fairly tall, like a large ice chest. A 68 is a relentless pounder. Tireless, and often taking sadistic pride in slamming the same victim throughout the course of a contest. Not a finesse artist, but one whose mauling presence can free others up to perform more spectacular exploits. He is presence that does not go unnoticed.

Famous 68’s include L.C. Greenwood, Russ Grimm, R.C. Thielmann

55 – Screw_Michigan

Is of medium size, but possessing some speed and ability. And there is a quality of precision to a 55, as the double 5’s imply. Not as staunch and stout as a 50 or 51, but can sometimes show more spectacular moments. A 55 might not be a team captain, but will be a large contributor on a successful team. The eyes of a fan can be drawn to a 55.

Famous 55’s include Derrick Brooks, Orel Hershiser, Otis Wilson

16 – Left Seater

Reasonably agile, a 16 has a way of getting things done. Not as svelte as say, a 12, but instead more thick and strong in the mid-section and below the waist. Jim Plunkett was a perfect 16. Might appear more lumbersome than a 10 or 12, but often shows pleasing results. A 16 has some strength, and can get himself up after a solid hit.

Famous 16’s include Frank Gifford, Brett Hull, Joe Montana.

1- Moving Sale

Tough, tenacious, relentless, smallish, and perhaps sassy. Feeling under-appreciated, the 1 has an eternal chip on his shoulder. He needs to win and he wants to have his opponent’s face rubbed in it. He is a gnat (or cyber-chihuahua). He will find a way to make your day unpleasant. He will perform and he might talk about it.

Famous 1’s include Billy Martin, Ozzie Smith, Oscar Robertson

64 – Wolfman

Works in the trenches and packs a lunch. A 64 might get slapped or dropped, but will carry on unfazed. He will return the favor and will multiply it because of his resilience, strength, and determination. “Box-shaped” and grunting often, the 64 is a film room coach’s wet dream. He plods and plows and wins. The 64 is a necessary cog in a well-oiled machine.

Famous 64’s include Jerry Kramer, Jack Reynolds, Randall McDaniel

32 – Smackie Chan
A 32 cannot be a bad player. He must be at the very least a solid contributor. In many cases the 32 is truly outstanding. He looks the part, with a body that sometimes matches a fan’s expectations of greatness. He is not a “bullet,” but is fast enough. A 32 is often very skilled. He carries himself well and knows his craft. Winning is often synonymous with a 32.

Famous 32’s include Magic Johnson, Jim Brown, Sandy Koufax

88 – Mikey

The double 8’s give this player an angular appearance. But he is durable. An 88 is not slow, but is also not the quickest member of the team. He is a reliable performer. Seldom flubs the “easy” play. He will make the occasional “wow” play that gives the fans their money’s worth. He is aesthetically pleasing. He is also a gamer. Not one to shy away in the big moment.

Famous 88’s include Tony Gonzalez, Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison

More later...
Last edited by Softball Bat on Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Numbers

Post by Carson »

Softball Bat wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:21 pmMore later...
Don't bother.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

We need more of this here.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Softball Bat wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:21 pm
Famous 32’s include Magic Johnson, Jim Brown, Sandy Koufax, Marcus Allen, OJ Simpson :shock:

Famous 88’s include Tony Gonzalez, Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison, 88 (the T1B poster?) :?: :shock:

“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

LOL I like the concept, but don’t feel I deserve to wear that hallowed number, which should be retired and reserved in perpetuity for our revered leader from tOSU.

Given a choice I’d wear 24, 19, or 16.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

I picture you as a good 19.

A 19, like an 88, is tallish and not obese. :)

But a 19 has more of a rogue character than say an 18, or 20.

Btw, I would give our board leader a number (other than 88), but he quit posting here.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

0 - Poptart
Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

14 – orcinus

A 14 will be smaller in stature than say, a 16, and might have a somewhat "softer" appearance. He might also be more of a free spirit. But he will have a fire in his belly, and like the 16, will find a way to get things done. A 14 will compromise on the less trivial matters, but will knuckle down and not give ground when the big things are at stake. He will perform well under the bright lights.

Famous 14’s include Ernie Banks, Pete Rose, Ed Podolak :)
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

91 - m2

This individual is a major disruptive force who marches to the beat of his own drum. A 91 will frequently make the "Sportscenter" play. He will make the play the son asks the father about on the way home from the game. He is as unconventional as he is effective. Eyes are drawn to a 91 because arms and legs are moving in many directions -- at the same time.

Famous 91's include Dennis Rodman, Kevin Greene, Richard Dent

72 - smackaholic

A 72 is a "north-south" guy. He is burly and above average height. He will exert his will in a straightforward manner. Noses might be bloodied. Not much razzle-dazzle with a 72. He will fill out his jersey. He will be both cordial and combative toward his opposition at the same time. He is nuts and bolts. The 72 will continue to slam away at a perceived weakness.

Famous 72's include Carlton Fisk, Dan Dierdorf, William (The Fridge) Perry
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I actually wore #87 for the U of Maine Black Bears football team. Making it as a walk on was my peak sport's event.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Nice!

What position did big #87 play?
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

46 - Jsc810

The 46 might have an unusual gait, or an unusual style of play. Looking less polished than a 44 or 45, the 46 can be one of the most deceptively good players on the field. Jersey 46 doesn't go to a fast guy. He could even appear maladroit. A 46 will sometimes "fly under the radar," and then rise up and strike hard on the opposition when they are not expecting it.

Famous 46's include Todd Christensen, Andy Pettite, Don Mattingly (rookie year)

37 - Diego in Seattle
A 37 has a more "gangling," yet sturdy, appearance than players wearing lower 30's numbers. His shoulders appear wide and strong, and as such, he will sometimes play a position for which he might actually be undersized. He is not often the "star" on the team, but is one who can pack a solid punch, and deliver it, to please the fans. There is a physicality to his game.

Famous 437s include Rodney Harrison, Doak Walker, Metta World Peace
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

7 - Roach

The 7, like all of the 7' numbers (17, 27, 37, etc.) has a broad-shouldered appearance. He gives off the vibe that he is one who can be leaned on, one with innate leadership ability. He is there to do his job, he will be cordial, but you don't tug on his cape. He might have a John Wayne aura about him, and make no mistake, the 7 is going in by the front door. "Here I come..."

Famous 7's include John Elway, Mickey Mantle, Ben Roethlisberger

26 - L45B

A 26 could have decent quicks. He will do a lot of his work "on the edges." But he is also robust enough to get n the middle of things and mix it up. He has some versatility and can be a big play performer. There is a certain elegance to a 26. His movement is more fluid than a 25. He has decent "length" and strength.

Famous 26's include Adrian Peterson, Billy Williams, Rod Woodson
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

End.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

:grin:
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Yep.
R. Smith is a good example of a 26.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Softball Bat wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:21 pm 55 – Screw_Michigan

Is of medium size, but possessing some speed and ability. And there is a quality of precision to a 55, as the double 5’s imply. Not as staunch and stout as a 50 or 51, but can sometimes show more spectacular moments. A 55 might not be a team captain, but will be a large contributor on a successful team. The eyes of a fan can be drawn to a 55.

Famous 55’s include Derrick Brooks, Orel Hershiser, Otis Wilson
Haha, this great. Props to Dan Vogel for bringing the fun-nay. A breath of fresh air here. For the record, I wore 14 in high school.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

55 - Screw_Mutumbo :)
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

L45B wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:17 am55 - Screw_Mutumbo :)

FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

I like it.

I think Cajun boy should get Danny Abramowicz

Softball Bat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:52 pm 46 - Jsc810

The 46 might have an unusual gait, or an unusual style of play. Looking less polished than a 44 or 45, the 46 can be one of the most deceptively good players on the field. Jersey 46 doesn't go to a fast guy. He could even appear maladroit. A 46 will sometimes "fly under the radar," and then rise up and strike hard on the opposition when they are not expecting it.

L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Softball Bat wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:36 pm Image
Dikembe a true humanitarian in that photo. Rack it!
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Papa Willie wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:55 pm I think the midget would be better off with “0”. That’s all he is in stature and anything else.
He’s a negative decimal.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

FiatLux wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:11 pm I like it.

I think Cajun boy should get Danny Abramowicz

Softball Bat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:52 pm 46 - Jsc810

Excellent call!

Abramowicz is a perfect 46!
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

93 - schmick

A 93 has some traits in common with a 91, but is more straightforward and blunt. He might be more refined than a 91, and he is relentlessly aggressive and forceful. A 93 will live in the trenches, but will shift to the edge on occasion and wreak havoc. He is a pounder with a bit of speed. He will get banged on a lot, but appear unfazed by it.

Famous 93's include Ndamakong Suh, John Randle, Ron Artest

84 - BSmack

The 84 has toughness and a bit of speed. There is a "crispness" to his movement and he seldom appears out of position or out of control. The 84 can take a hit and come back and make a big play just a few seconds later. He is not the fastest player on the team, but he plays fast. On a championship team, he will be a guy whose contributions are needed.

Famous 84's include Shannon Sharpe, Antonio Brown, Chris Webber