IBM Thinkpad Hard Disk password

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Prototype
Elwood

IBM Thinkpad Hard Disk password

Post by Prototype »

Anyway to remove this or get around it?

Type 2681? XP.

Google search does not make it look very promising.

TIA
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

If I remember correctly, an IBM tech can do it for you. Its been too long since I dealt with it. There is a way to do it, I just have absolutely no memory of it. I can't remember if only an IBM tech can do it or if you can do it with some IBM tech trick.

-ET
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

A decent HDD tech could do it, but they have all been put to pasture.

Call IBM and expect to pay about $250
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Re: IBM Thinkpad Hard Disk password

Post by Atomic Punk »

Prototype wrote:Anyway to remove this or get around it?

Type 2681? XP.

Google search does not make it look very promising.

TIA
On the bottom of your ThinkPad is the Type with the 4 digits in 2 places. One is next to the IBM logo and the next is on the barcode on the right.

What that does is tell the tech which manual to use when talking to you. A tech will then walk you through the procedures. I have a Type: 2379 with XP Professional on my T-41.

The other thing is if you know what you're talking about then you can get them to send you things if you were smart enough to get a warrantee. I've already replaced my keyboard, power supply, and got a new screw kit. I also told them I want the recovery disks that they don't like sending out with their Thinkpads and they sent me several copies along with driver CD's.

In a few months I'm going to tell them my keyboard, monitor, and power supply failed at different times and they'll send it out immediately if you tell them you know how to do the repairs yourself. I like having back up parts. ;) If not, they'll send out a tech that is a paid contractor that IBM deals with.

IBM's are the absolute best laptops I've ever worked on and will never buy anything but one after dealing with the other crap out there. The keyboard replacement took me less than 3 minutes to replace.

So to make a long story short, just hope you are still under warrantee.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.