How do I change my IP address

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

How do I change my IP address

Post by Screw_Michigan »

What can I say? I've been banned from a board (that doesn't require you to register to post) and I'm trying to access it. I know most boards (i.e. this sordid clambake) uses IP addresses to block people. I have been searching online for solutions, but the ones I try don't work.

Apparently there are two types of IP addresses: External and internal.

Couple questions

How come when I use a "what's my IP address" site it gives me a different address than if I type "ipconfig" into my DOS command prompt?

I also noticed that when I try to access this site via a proxy (like vectro proxy), it doesn't load the site. This is the same as when I try to access the site via normal means.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: How do I change my IP address

Post by Dinsdale »

OK, I won't pile on... yet. I'll actually try to help.

First, when you do an ipconfig from a command prompt, you're getting the IP from your local machine. Unless you're plugged directly in to your modem (does anyone do that anymore?), you're going through your personal router (which isn't much of a "router," but meets the definition, which is sorting traffic between two or more networks). When you hit ipconfig, you'll likely see a 192.1.x.x, maybe even a 10.1.x.x. That's because those address ranges are reserved for private use. The ISP side of your router gets a public IP, and then converts it to one of the private IP ranges for your internal use. Doing a whatsmyIP or any similar thing will give you the public IP that your router is using to access the internet.

As far as your internet forum -- try using a public proxy. The catch there is that many public forums have lists of public proxies, and don't allow them. But do a search for "public proxy servers." You'll get a buhzillion of them. Write some down. Then, go to your browser settings/options (Internet Options in IE), and go through the tabs (in IE, it's "connections>LAN Settings). You'll find a checkbox for "proxy server." Enter the IP of the public proxy. You want your http traffic to be on Port 80 (if it asks).

If it doesn't work, try some others. If they don't work, the site doesn't allow public proxies. Then your option is to gravytrain a neighbor's/coffeshop/whatever network.

You can try rebooting your router and modem, but generally the ISP's DHCP server (the thing that controls IP addresses) gives out fairly long leases (the time after which your IP expires and needs to be renewed), and you generally get the same one. They typically assign the same IP to the modem for very long periods (easier management on their end), so it rarely gives you a different one.

Mine's been the same forever.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Thanks, Dins. Will try some out tomorrow.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:What can I say? I've been banned from a board
Too bad it wasn't this one, tard.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Goober McTuber wrote:

Don't be such a jerk.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Don't be such a jerk.
Oh. All right. :)
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim