DSL (not dick sucking lips) and multiple users

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

DSL (not dick sucking lips) and multiple users

Post by Screw_Michigan »

In my garden-style complex of cardboard box-dwelling jizz-moppers, our landlord decided to go with group internet instead of making us all get our own internet via Comcast. I thought why not, I'd rather pay $3 per month for DSL than $80 for cable and internet with Comcast. There are six apartments with eight residents living here. Our landlord said that we'd obviously get a huge savings and that DSL would be just as good as cable for individual users.

My first question is this: If you have eight users using the internet at once on one DSL connection, at 0.5-1 MB rate (which is the problem, I know), will you have that much of a noticeable slowdown compared to if only one or two people were connected at once?

I ask because I'm trying to persuade my landlord to stop being a cheap piece of shit and upgrade to the 1-3 MB DSL internet so that things can actually load and progress faster than fucking dial-up did. She's resisting because she's a cheap piece of shit (and I guess so am I, but I'd rather pay $3 for internet instead of $80 for cable/internet with Comcast). I never thought it would be THIS pathetically slow. Watching youtube videos is impossible. Hell even this pile of shit board loads incredibly slowly.

Thoughts?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Re: DSL (not dick sucking lips) and multiple users

Post by Go Coogs' »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Thoughts?
Do you have a smartphone? If so, what is your data plan? And is it Android or IPhone? I can save you a ton of money by giving you a few links to tethering apps. I'm not sure how much you stream videos, but if its mainly YouTube, then you won't put a huge dent in your data plan. If watching YouTube videos is difficult on your current DSL, then 3G tethering will be a better option. I do it all the time at work and I also slingbox on 3g and have very little issues

Cable destroys DSL, IMO. On speakeasy I'm getting 19.8mbps down and 3.5mbps up with Comcast. That is wireless with a Cisco System Router.

$80 a month is bullshit, but I spare no expense when it comes to my internet connection.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Rumps, I do have a smart phone, but it's a Blackberry that I have through Virgin. I live in a dead zone so the internet I use is through WiFi. I'm not familiar with tethering, but it sounds like I won't be able to use it because of the dead zone I am in.

Yes, cable does destroy DSL, as I am figuring out. Last night I pulled 0.3 MB and this morning when I got up, I got a 0.1. POINT FUCKING ONE. Some of this makes me wonder if Verizon needs to check it out first because 0.1 is criminal.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Have you tried restoring to a previous date?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Honestly, what would restoring my computer have to do with it? My computer isn't the problem. It's the service.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Forgive me for dropping a 5+ year old running Tech Forum joke.

'Round here, Clearwire gives you 3-4 megs for about $30 a month.

Or you can be really clever, do some websearching, and build a mongo antenna that'll pick up every unsecured network in the neighborhood.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Go Coogs' wrote:I can save you a ton of money by giving you a few links to tethering apps. I'm not sure how much you stream videos, but if its mainly YouTube, then you won't put a huge dent in your data plan. If watching YouTube videos is difficult on your current DSL, then 3G tethering will be a better option. I do it all the time at work and I also slingbox on 3g and have very little issues

3G data plan as an alternative to DSL/Cable service?

Please, never give advice on anything ever again.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

When data plans tell you they are "unlimited", you need to:

a) have your head examined
b) read the fine print
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Martyred wrote: 3G data plan as an alternative to DSL/Cable service?

Please, never give advice on anything ever again.
If Screwy can't even watch YouTube videos with the shit DSL service he's getting and doesn't want to pay for the real thing, then tethering via his 3g phone is the only way to go. And that fine print does mention that unauthorized tethering is illegal and if caught, then back charges are possible. However, I've been tethering for over a year on my 3g phone at work and have abused the fuck out of my data plan and haven't so much as heard a peep out of Verizon on my usage. Now, I am smart about it when the usage gets alarmingly high and I start to cut back on the streaming, but they still haven't sent anything to let me know they are coming after me.

Unless Screwy is streaming constantly, then his tethering usage won't even amount to 3, maybe 4 gig a month. That is a drop in the bucket with these carriers. Please tell me you knew.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Go Coogs' wrote:If Screwy can't even watch YouTube videos with the shit DSL service he's getting and doesn't want to pay for the real thing, then tethering via his 3g phone is the only way to go.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

:facepalm:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BTW-here in the city that started wimax internet and 4G, a buddy of mine uses his 4G phone for his internet access, since he's always out and about working...

and it sucks donkey balls, although it serves its purpose... barely.

Clearwire kicks the living shit out of it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Rumps, I do have a smart phone, but it's a Blackberry that I have through Virgin. I live in a dead zone so the internet I use is through WiFi. I'm not familiar with tethering, but it sounds like I won't be able to use it because of the dead zone I am in.

Yes, cable does destroy DSL, as I am figuring out. Last night I pulled 0.3 MB and this morning when I got up, I got a 0.1. POINT FUCKING ONE. Some of this makes me wonder if Verizon needs to check it out first because 0.1 is criminal.
As someone who is somewhat familiar with Verizon's dsl service, lemme offer a few thoughts.

Verizon landlines are for maintained for shit. And their support system is a joke. Their techs are given insanely low Average Call Handle quotas and are all but forced to bail on a call if it is not resolved in 3 minutes.

Here's what you can try.

The WiFi router might well be experiencing interference. If you can access the router, try checking out the channel the wireless signal is broadcasting on. There's 11 channels it can broadcast on. Play around and see if you get a boost in speed.

Of course you might have a single neighbor who is hogging bandwidth by downloading every obscure indy album ever made. On that kind of restricted bandwidth you're fucked.

Your problem is that Comcast isn't exactly the gold standard either. But it would be a damn sight better than 100k down. 1-3 Mb ain't going to help much. Get the real deal and don't look back.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:[If you can access the router, try checking out the channel the wireless signal is broadcasting on. There's 11 channels it can broadcast on. Play around and see if you get a boost in speed.

Of course you might have a single neighbor who is hogging bandwidth by downloading every obscure indy album ever made. On that kind of restricted bandwidth you're fucked.
If he has access to the router and someone hogging is indeed the problem, he's certainly not fucked (depending on the router/AP).

If they allow you to fuck with the router (unlikely) drop some QoS priority on your MAC -- so much for the bandwidth hog.

And my (formerly) Verizon DSL works just fine. The POS 100 year old modem sucks, but the service is fine.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote:[If you can access the router, try checking out the channel the wireless signal is broadcasting on. There's 11 channels it can broadcast on. Play around and see if you get a boost in speed.

If he has access to the router and someone hogging is indeed the problem, he's certainly not fucked (depending on the router/AP).

If they allow you to fuck with the router (unlikely) drop some QoS priority on your MAC -- so much for the bandwidth hog.

And my (formerly) Verizon DSL works just fine. The POS 100 year old modem sucks, but the service is fine.
Who said anything about "allowing" access? Most routers have chimp level admin passwords. And yes, you could indeed modify QoS settings. But I was concerning myself with more ethical possible solutions.

As for your dsl service, trade that 100 year old POS modem in. You're going to get hit for a per month modem fee whether you do or don't starting sometime next year.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown