DSLR Cameras

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

DSLR Cameras

Post by Go Coogs' »

Did a lot of research on them and went ahead and took the plunge. I bought a Canon EOS 60d 18mp with a 18-135 zoom lens

It shoots 1080P HD video, has continuous shooting at a rate of 5.3 frames per second, an ISO range of 100-3200 (expandable to 12,600), and 9 individual cross-type angle focus points.

Best Buy had it for just over 1k and offered a bundle package that included a bag, hdmi cable, and 8gb memory card for $50 (retail $111), so I haggled with the Sales manager for a couple of camera filters in lieu of the bag. It turns out my sister-in-law is getting us a bag for Christmas, so I didn't need it. Worked out great. I was surprised nobody could beat BB on this deal, but they did. Color me shocked.

As for DSLR Cameras, this is what I found out. Nikon and Canon are both equal to the task. They both have their advantages and disadvantages when it comes to ISO, picture quality, and HD shooting. It's basically a wash. When you make the choice in purchasing the camera, you're just buying based on loyalty to the name.

If you're interested in purchasing a DSLR camera, I learned that it boils down to two things. If its about a budget and you just want to take nice pictures and not much else, then go cheap. The Canon Rebel EOS T2i 18mp is the way to go. the camera is roughly $650-$700 depending where you look and comes with a 18-55mm lens. The picture quality is just the same as the 60d that I purchased, but it lacks processor speed and the cross-type auto focus. Basically, it can't do what the 60d can do during action shots, but it is still equal to the task when taking any stills. The next step up is the Canon T3i 18mp with a 3.7 fps continuous shooting and it runs anywhere from $750-$800. It too, comes with the 18-55mm lens, but if you're going to spend that kind of money, then you might as well go up another $300 and get the 60d for Canon. But if you don't want to spend that much, then just buy the T2i instead and save yourself a couple hundred bucks. You can use that money to buy a more powerful lens, a tripod, or a hooker. Whichever floats your boat.

What came in the camera bag was instruction booklets, a strap, battery charger, and a some thin booklets on how to take certain shots. That was really cool I thought. By reading a few things, I was able to learn a few tricks in photography real quick with some simple scenic shots outside today. I'll post some scenery and action shots after the game tomorrow.

Again, if you want to save money, then the Nikon d3100 or Canon T2i are more than capable of satisfying your needs. If you want to step up to high end DSLR for beginners, then go with the Nikon D7000 or Canon 60D. You won't be disappointed.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: DSLR Cameras

Post by smackaholic »

i've watched DSLR prices drop over the last decade. Was holding off in hopes they would continue to drop, but, 500 bucks or so seems to be the bottom. doesn't look like they'll drop any further. so, i guess i will start thinking of getting one. maybe next xmas. till then, my half decent point and shoot will suffice.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: DSLR Cameras

Post by ElTaco »

I have to say that one of the things I like is the new compact system dSLR type cameras (actually called DSL micros) from Sony, Nikon, Samsung and other consumer companies. In other words, they use compact point and shoot style bodies with lenses that offer more manual options. I've personally have a D60 which I like a lot and have used for a few years, but when the wife wanted an SLR, getting a big body just didn't make sense so I got her the Panasonic Lumix GF-3 which has many of the automated features of a Point and shoot, but it uses the much nicer mirror less lens which offers some manual options that your standard point and shoot doesn't, but at the same time, its still fairly automated.

With that said, by the time you purchase the body and the lens, its still around $400 to $500 price range...