computer viruses

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: computer viruses

Post by Dinsdale »

KC Scott wrote:malware (a type of virus)

I know we're supposed to keep it simple... but no. Malware is malware, a virus is a virus.

You know what I use for antivirus software?

Nothing.

Know how many viruses I've had in recent years?

None.

An industry that thrives on grossly overexaggagerated threats. Although in a corporate network, as opposed to a personal machine, strong protection is a must.

Then again, I'm pretty well-versed at fixing such things (I knew tht hig-dollar shooling would be good for something some day... my stints in the industry never seem to last very long)

Although I'm a big fan of Malwarebytes. Great freeware.

The free version of Zonealarm (or at least last I checked) does a kind of DNS screening dealio, which slows things down, but blocks sites that spread malware.

Whatever you do, avoid AVG Antivirus like the plague... unless you have about 100 gigs of RAM, and don't mind every new spyware/malware/virus that comes down the pike hitting your HD.

But my best advice is to not store financial information on a machine that goes online. If you must, the encrypt the files, and make sure any site you communicate with is through HTTPS, or some other version of a secure connection. Then there's the really basic shit, like changing out of the default workgroup, and locking down your wireless router/AP (if your interface allows theoption to only allow wireless clients internet access rather than network access, use that option).

And back up your important files...not only guards against a virus getting the best of you, remember that hard drives have moving parts and don't ast forever.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

If you have updated Malwarebytes recently (sounds like recently enough, if it IDed files), the next simple step would be to restart in Safe Mode (hammer on the F8 button while booting), and run Malwarebytes in Safe Mode. Sometimes, the malicious files rewrite themselves when you try and delete them -- in Safe Mode, they can't do that. Then run your antivirus scan (probably take eons in Safe Mode).

If that doesn't work, do a restart, again hitting F8 during boot. In the Advanced Options, select "Last Known Good." (Some versions might say some shit like "For servers," but hit it anyway.)

If that still doesn't work, again boot up in Safe Mode. Go toSystem Restore (Start>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore), and see if it will work from there. Sometimes the really nasty malwares will either disable System Resore, or go through and delete the restore files... which sucks.

If that doesn't work, we can go from there, and maybe try rebuilding the boot sector (requires your XP (?) install disk).
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

KC Scott wrote: Whatever you have is blocking MWB from removing it but that happens sometimes
As mentioned, sometimes Safe Mode remedies this.

and they can still help
They have a help forum - here's where to start: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.ph ... opic=69723
Solid advice.
Whatever the outcome - I'd strongly suggest you install Web of Trust on your browser and set it to block opening any pages rated dangerous

Not familiar with WoT, but sounds like an extra DNS screen sort of dealio like Zonealarm. Only issue is it might not jibe with other previously installed antivirus/firewall software... but it's not like giving it a try will break anything. Sounds like it works for you.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I don't run antivirus/spyware detection at home but here are some things that I do:

Only run my PC at home or at work, If I plan on running it on an open network or such, enable a firewall.
At home I make sure I don't use IE for anything other than MS updates or work related crap, such as webmail. Otherwise I use Chrome and firefox only.
I have in the past gone to questionable websites, I generally enable "incognito" mode and have plugins enabled to disable cookies and ads. With chrome and firefox, I'm not too worried about getting infected without making some stupid decision. Unlike IE, they generally will not randomly download code. It can help to make sure your browser/Internet settings do not use low security settings when you go to such sites.

Once you do find an infected machine, your best bet is to take it off the network, but in reality, you will probably need patches, software/updates, etc.. to fight it so I generally will go out and download all the tools required (too lazy to keep a CD of them compiled ahead of time but that is the best option), than boot into safe mode and run them. The true power of safe mode is that it only loads windows specific code on boot so most viruses and spyware will not load into memory.
Other options is to find recovery CDs and boot your PC with Linux and than scan the Drives that way, but the problem is that not all of these tools can do a real scan to find the problems. Another option is to boot with a second windows partition to scan the drive (or mounting your windows drive on another PC).

An old trick that some people used to use for protection before ad blockers became popular was to use the host file to divert some bad addresses, essentially blacklisting ad and known virus sites on your PC.

Keeping your PC updated will keep it somewhat safe from some viruses/worm/malware, mainly the crappy ones that take advantage of old bugs that people don't patch. Upgrading to IE 8 or 9 should also help a little. Incidentally, making sure that your Kids don't log in with administrative privileges can also go a long way.

If you want to be crafty, one option is to use virtualization or Linux for your Kid's computers. Why? Well, if you use a PC that runs a hypervisor, you can lock down the image and back it up. If it gets a virus or some crap, just delete and drop in a new copy, problem fixed. This isn't recommended for gaming machines, but for younger kids, it may be perfect. This way your kid will have to ask you if they can install that stupid screen saver with the stupid dog that is really a virus. Also, if you than mount their "my documents" and profile files from a 2nd machine, you don't even have to worry that they will lose files when you delete their image and replace it with a clean copy. You can use a Windows or Linux file server. The advantage of a Linux NFS file server is that even if a Windows virus/spyware gets saved on there, you probably don't have much to worry about because the local OS (linux) won't be able to execute it.

Options for hypervisors: VMWare player or Citrix Xenclient should work great. For VMWare, I'd run some Linux version on the PC, install the VMWare player, than just set it up to boot Linux, than display the OS images, and than have an XP one that is locked down for the kids, and one for you. The Citrix XenClient, only works on newer hardware, but it is very sleek. You can run up to 4 images at the same time on the same machine.

Non geeks will probably need to hire someone who has a little experience, but in reality its not very hard.

Good luck!