apps?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: apps?

Post by ElTaco »

Google+ - if you are in, its good to have
Google Voice - Visual Voice mail - you can switch your voice mail to google voice, givesyou visual voice mail, tries to translate your vm and you can access your vm on the web. Fairly nifty.
Google Talk - if you have a google account, which if you didn't, you do now since you got the new phone. It allows IMing with other google people, in other words, anyone else in the world.
Google Apps - if you use google apps to create/store personal or work documents, its good to download google apps so you can access a doc or excel sheet on your phone.
Update google maps if you haven't yet. Download google street view and google Goggles (if you like to shop in stores, this is great to check prices online), also Google Shopper also helps. If you travel or interact with foreigners, google Translate is great. Google Music is google's online music cloud if you want to upload and stream your music to your phone.
Google Reader is great for blogs and such from online.

Ok thats kind of the end of the google software. Its good to use because you know google will keep it functioning and working with all phones. And when you switch to a tablet or different phone or even online, its consistent.

Here is other stuff I use:
Amazon Appstore (go to amazon and have it text the link to you, than install). - great for the daily free apps but that is all, but some of the apps are great.
Citrix Receiver if you use Citrix at work.
iHeartRadio - catching your favorite home town station if you travel or get crappy radio reception at home/work/on the road.
WifiAnalyzer is awesome for finding WIFI Ap stuff or troubleshooting wifi problems at work/home/on the road.
Skype if you use skype
Facebook app if you use facebook, and really, who doesn't.
I have VZ so I have the My Verizon app.
Amazon MP3 if you want to use Amazon's cloud music solution.
Angry Bird is an awesome game. I have been playing RIO almost non stop. When I get bored with newer games, always go back. Amazon gave me rio for free which was great so its AD free.
Starbucks released a new app recently, if you are a starbucks addict, you can input your gold/black card and just use your phone for discount/payment.
Netflix app - you can now stream videos to your phone. Don't use it much, but last year I was stuck in my car during a snow storm in DC for 8 hours and a similar solution came in very handy while sitting in traffic.
Layar - if you travel a lot its great. Lots of rave reviews to look up info on buildings/shops/etc.. but I honestly haven't used it much since I don't travel for work anymore.
WebMD if you need medical info on your phone.
Kayak if you travel, allows you to check prices/flights/etc...
Trapster - if you use google maps/phone for travel, trapster is a community application for BB/Iphone/Android/web devices that will alert you to common police traps and speed cameras that other users upload to the service. Not a bad replacement if you don't want to use a CB on trips.
Kindle app if you have a kindle or use Amazon to buy digital books and read it on a kindle/tablet/pc.
SpeedTest.net Mobile allows you to test your throughput, probably mostly useful if you travel or have bad connection problems at times.
Youtubed is on there and a must when bored (or if they block youtube at work.)

Games that I play:
Angry Birds (original, seasons and Rio) - I play rio the most because I got the full ad free version thanks to amazon for free so its great and ad free.
Backbreaker - got it for free as well and it was a lot of fun at first. - Drains your batteries faster than normal but not too bad.
Collapse - got it for free on amazon, fun little block stacking game type thing.
Doodle Jump - another stupid game that got great reviews when first published. Lots of fun for a little while.
Fruit Ninja - very popular game, lots of fun for a short while.
Moron Test - good to give to your friends and than call them morons.
PlantsvsZombies - super awesome game but I beat it and now waiting to see if they add more levels later. Drains your battery fast.
Super Dynamite - got it for free from amazon, lots of fun for a while. Drains batteries fast.
YooNinja - fun but only for a while.

Also, lots of people like to play Scrabble. There are several games out there from bigger online scrabble providers but EA just released the 'official' version yesterday.

Also, despite what you may have been told or what someone may tell you even now, don't install any auto task killers on your phone or disable it from auto task killing. Just keep it manual if you need to kill a game that has frozen or died but with android 2.3 or 2.4 most phones are coming with shortcuts to get to android's task manager anyway. Also, in the battery settings, depending on your battery size and settings, you may want to change the battery mode into Maximum Battery saver. If you make that change, almost all the phones can easily make it through a day once you stop playing with the new phone every 2 seconds.

Good luck!
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc810 wrote:evidently there can be problems going from Android to Apple devises. Any ideas there?l

Yes, continue the proper treatment of Apple-device-users in the virtual world that applies to the real world...

ostracize those people.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I'll be interested to see what Gingerbread (Android 2.3) brings to the table for my Samsung Epic 4G. I believe (though I'm not sure) that will bring some additional video capabilities - i.e. Skype and Google+ will have video.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Are you on 2.2 now? There's no video Skype?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Nope - no video in Skype.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

PSUFAN wrote:Nope - no video in Skype.
What the fuck are you talking about?
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

No video is available in the Android Skype app (at least the app available for Andoid 2.2). Not sure how that was unclear?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

PSUFAN wrote:No video is available in the Android Skype app (at least the app available for Andoid 2.2). Not sure how that was unclear?

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Speaking of apps, there is an ESPN app that allows you to listen to any ESPN broadcast. Not sure if it is just radio or if you can also listen to/watch what they air on TV as well. I don't give a shit about the talking heads, but if I am on the road or somewhere without 18 TVs and want to hear a game, I can do that. Worth the $3 for the amount of content they have.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...