Flashing cell phones

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Flashing cell phones

Post by Dinsdale »

Anyone know anything?

I know it requires a software interface, and the right USB cable, and the right firmware file.

But in everyone's rush to go to cheapass Cricket, the subject comes up a lot lately.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: Flashing cell phones

Post by ElTaco »

I've done mine several times in the past but the DX I have now is stock. Generally I research it at the phandroid forums first: http://androidforums.com/ because their site is broken down with easy to find information. As far as how easy it is to do, it generally depends on the phone. When I rooted my first WinMo phone back in the day, it took some time to work through all the steps, but now days there are tools available online that you just download and it does it for you. you should be able the find the information on the phandroid blogs.

Of course you should know a few things:
Not all companies welcome rooting. Even well tested rooting programs can brick a phone sometimes so also research how to back up and restore your phone. Finally when you root your phone and install a different image, you will lose all your apps and data so make sure you back it up.