RF Interfernce

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: RF Interfernce

Post by Dinsdale »

There's so much stuff operating in that range these days, it's not even worth listing.

Cell phones aren't that high (yet). But WiMax internet and plenty of other things are. I worked for a company that used 5gig wireless bridges to connect buildings (was a lame setup-btw), but those radios would belt a signal for 30+ miles over flat land (sup Flyover). Was pretty fucked for the other tenants in the business park trying to use cordless phones.

I'd say as a starting point (although much experimentation may be necessary), get into whatever interface you use to configure the device (never set one up, myself), try selecting a channel manually, rather than autoselect.

That, and try different placements/orientations of the radios.

Not sure if your interface has some sort of signal strength meter, but with the 5gig stuff, higher signal strength doesn't necessarily equate to less RFI.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

In addition to testing different Frequencies, which you should be able to set, although I've never tested one of these RF video transmitters personally, you can also try to use directional antennas and also look for any higher powered satellites or big antennas in the area. I've seen where companies put microwave antennas on their buildings and it starts causing network and other issues for other companies in the area. Microwaves are also very bad if you have an older one, but obviously this would be specific to when you use it. Really any older equipment can be a problem, like an old fridge or something.

You can also consider returning your box and set up some wifi system. If you have a PS3 that you can attach to your TV or a Blueray player (or a very new TV) you can consider using DNLA (DIGITAL LIVING NETWORK ALLIANCE) or something like ORB or similar services to put your TV broadcast on your Wifi network.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

RF was run.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And this one will sound silly, but it might help:

Put a pie tin or something similar behind each of the radios, kind of like a poor man's parabolic reflector. As long as they're aimed line-of-sight, they shouldn't interfere (and might even get a signal boost), and might help keep the RFI away.

But you'll notice I used the word "might" more than once... but it doesn't cost much or take much time, so what the heck.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one