Computer freezes up anytime I put something on my clipboard.

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Computer freezes up anytime I put something on my clipboard.

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Doesn't matter if I am working in Excel, Word, an internet browser, etc. If I cut/copy anything, anywhere... it freezes up for about 2 minutes.

I am running Microsoft Office 2007 on Windows Vista <-- :oops:

Bought the computer in 2009.

Thoughts? I have done the usual clean-up BS.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Computer freezes up anytime I put something on my clipbo

Post by Dinsdale »

Easy answer -- ditch the disaster known as Vista.

Second-easiest answer -- System Restore to a date prior to having problems.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

- Yeah if your system works with Vista, it should also work with Windows 7. You should upgrade. You can downgrade to XP as well but Honestly, Windows 7 is the way to go these days, just works so much better once you get beyond the useless redesign of the UI.

- Make sure your office and windows is patched.

- Check your Drivers to make sure there isn't a problem with one of your drivers.

- maybe run the task manager in the foreground and see if a service eats up a lot of memory or CPU when you hit ctrl+c

- try it in safe mode

- get a new / better PC

Good luck
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

KC Scott wrote:My only complaint on W7 is that certain HW does not, nor will it ever have drivers written - example my HP 4300 scanjet.

So you'll have to install an XP virtual machine - open the VM pin the HW to it, then run the app, save it to the virtual XP desktop then copy/paste into W7 - which sucks

First off, I've been battling one very minor issue with this (old external card reader), which I've spent so little time on, it's no surprise it isn't solved.

But I believe (could well be wrong) that if you actually have a software app for the device, you can install/run it in backwards compatibility mode, which may or may not work. Some programs run fine that way, some don't.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Dinsdale wrote: But I believe (could well be wrong) that if you actually have a software app for the device, you can install/run it in backwards compatibility mode, which may or may not work. Some programs run fine that way, some don't.
Windows 7 "XP Compatibility Mode"
Only available if you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not sure how many W7 issues it will solve, but regarding the ancient USB card reader on W7 Home, I discovered one very serious glitch that keeps drivers from loading...

It only finds the drivers from the Windows catalogue if it's a new device, and it has to be plugged in on startup.

Just a little bit of an oversight on MS's part, eh?

But that fixed the card reader issue, which is obviously a much simpler issue than Scott's scanner.

But doing a little reading, this is apparently a W7 epidemic, and people have tried all sorts of shit to fix it. The trick that seems to work is to make sure the device is removed, along with any drivers you may have tried, then shut it down. Plug in the device, a power it up. I guess when it finds new hardware on startup, it goes through a different procedure, and searches a different location for appropriate drivers... which seems hard-to-believe to me, but I'll be damned if that didn't fix the issue.

Probably not a cure-all for all W7 hardware issues, but what the hell -- doesn't take long to try, and doesn't cost anything, so it keeps the pulling-your-hair-out-trying factor to a minimum.

At any rate, it's worth a try.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Just another hint, I know we are all broke and poor, or we wouldn't be on this damn board, but just do yourself a favor and if your device is so old that it can't be used on W7, spend the $20 to get a newer version. You can get a USB card reader for nothing these days that does 10 times the ones I remember from back in the day. Honestly, for W7 you don't need the latest and greatest computer hardware so if you have a machine which ran XP ok, maybe even a little slow, the 32 bit version of W7 will seem like its new again. I'm not kidding. So If you didn't already go out and blow money on a new hardware because you were the first person out to buy Vista, just keep your older machine, run W7 and spend the $20 or $30 to replace some old POS hardware that doesn't seem to have a driver for W7.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

...or run Slack/*Buntu/Arch in a VM.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

For those of you with the Intel Core 2 duo or Intel I5/I7 chips, you may also want to check out XenClient from Citrix. It is actually one of the best clients for a PC. It is a Hypervisor that runs not unlike ESX/ESXi does from VM, with vmplayer on top so you can run your VM natively without having to run an underlying OS like Windows 7, and then you can, simultaneously run up to 4 VMs. The only major problem with XenClient is that it will not run on older processors

http://www.citrix.com/xenclient

Hopefully better hardware support will be added soon by Citrix.