Free alternative to airfoil?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Free alternative to airfoil?

Post by jiminphilly »

I have an airport express hooked up so I can stream my library of music to my stereo in another room. I use Pandora a lot and the only program I can find that will allow me to stream applications other than Itunes to the airport express is Airfoil and the license is $25.

Any suggestions?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Re: Free alternative to airfoil?

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

jiminphilly wrote:
Any suggestions?

Sell that crap on eBay and never buy Apple products again.

This is not a joke.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Martyred wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:
Any suggestions?

This is not a joke.
Noted.

Any suggestions on streaming music to my surround/stereo system in a different room?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Network Attached Storage (NAS) device /media player with a Webmin gui.

something along the lines of...

http://www.pcvonline.com/productDetails ... odID=10355

...okay, it doesn't use Webmin, but you get the picture.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Martyred wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:
Any suggestions?

This is not a joke.

2nded.

I'll never understand it.

They take a bottom-of-the-line PC platform (the junk of the junk that EMachines laughs at), puts their OS on it, and it becomes a $1200 desktop for retards.

Then they take a music player, make it worthless with their proprietary format, make sure it's inferior quality to anything else on the market, and that $19.99 MP3 player becomes worth $300 to the really stupid people.

My buddy has a wireless doohicky that plugs into USB, and essentially sends your audio out to a reciever, which has RCA jacks on the other end, so plugs into pretty much anything. It uses a software interface, but there's no licensing or any such silliness...

I just don't remember who makes it. I'll find out this week, Jim.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Dinsdale wrote: I just don't remember who makes it. I'll find out this week, Jim.
Thanks Dins. I have no allegiance to apple products so if something better is available, I'm listening.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Ok, there are a lot of Pros and Cons when it comes to Apple. I don't necessarily think all of their stuff is junk, but I absolutely hate their propriety model and look forward to Google beating the snot out of them. I also don't think they are as revolutionary as some people make them out to be, but do think that they do spend a lot of time and energy on usability, which more companies could spend some extra time on.

As far as streaming music goes, buy a PS3 or GoogleTV. PS3 (and xbox) all support remote music streaming from your PC to your TV/Sound system. They also support some music services. The GoogleTV goes one step further and actually has an app for Pandora so you can just launch the app and listen to the music. If you don't have a PS3, there is really no excuse for it, even if you are not a gamer. For $300, you get a machine that plays DVD/Blueray disks, supports Sony's 3D format for when 3D TVs drop down in price, assuming the whole 3D thing doesn't die. Supports Netflix and Hulu Plus, comes with a Browser, and in addition can play games. You can purchase a Bluetooth keyboard for browsing and social media, rent and buy movies, play games with the family and so much more.

Ultimately, I don't know if GoogleTV will be successful, but I would say, probably. Google Android already has a huge industry backing from Sony and Samsung. Google TV runs Android, which probably means that Google will start to integrate GoogleTV and Android OS/Phones more and more, which will be a huge plug for Android phone owners. (This is what apple is doing with IOS and AppleTV as we speak so you can bet Google will follow.) I don't think spending $300 on the Logitech Revue (or one of the other devices) is a bad deal, but if you want to wait a little while to see what Google does with GoogleTV, then just go and pick up one of the new PS3s (or one of the old ones off of ebay) and you should be able to do everything you need, and then some while Apple and Google fight it out.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

The PS3 Media Server project was recently voted as the best streaming tool to get your music and such to your stereo on Lifehacker.

http://lifehacker.com/5713376/best-pers ... dia-server