Connecting to an unsecured network

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Connecting to an unsecured network

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Since my Comcast promo ended, I decided to stick to just cable and leech off my neighbor's internet connection. He lets me hop on for $5 a month. The kicker is it's an unsecured connection, and I've heard bad things about unsecured connections (like leaving your credit card numbers vulnerable if you were buying shit online). If anyone here can clue me in to the truth and anything I can do to protect my computer and shit on it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Re: Connecting to an unsecured network

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

1. Have him set encryption on his network, then ask him for the SSID. That way, you two are the only ones on.

2. Don't log on with the administrator account. Use a guest account unless you need the administrator privileges.

3. Don't stay logged in to banking/Paypal/eBay accounts after you've finished using them. Log out immediately after you're done.

4. Stop being a cheap fucking asshole. If Goober sees this, he'll pummel your ass into molecules.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

also, turn off any Remote Desktop protocols you may have running.

Do you have a spare wireless router kicking around? I can show you how to set up a secure wireless access point...

...you leaching deadbeat.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Martyred wrote:1. Have him set encryption on his network, then ask him for the SSID. That way, you two are the only ones on.
He said there are four total people using his connection. Other than this not being a "secured" network, how is this different than when I had roommates and we were all using the same internet connection?
2. Don't log on with the administrator account. Use a guest account unless you need the administrator privileges.
You mean log onto his connection with the admin account? Or MY computer?
3. Don't stay logged in to banking/Paypal/eBay accounts after you've finished using them. Log out immediately after you're done.
I only log into bank and credit card accounts and I always log out immediately. Shouldn't be a problem.
4. Stop being a cheap fucking asshole. If Goober sees this, he'll pummel your ass into molecules.
Internet and cable through Comcast went up $40 after promo. Cheap has nothing to do with it, dick.

Thanks.

The only time I ever use remote desktop is when I get snowed in from work and I work from home. I don't have a spare wireless router kicking around. Would it be worth it to buy one to set up my own secure wireless access point?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Also, I noticed when I went from my own connection to sharing this unsecured network, my speeds have plummeted. Through

http://www.speedtest.net/

I'm now clocking in at

48ms Ping
1.0 MB DL
0.37 MB UL

Anything I can do about this?

When I was on my own connection, I had

16 MB DL
4 MB UL
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Screw_Michigan wrote:
He said there are four total people using his connection.
You don't know that. It's an unsecure connection.

If you see a local shop selling a used wireless router for $20-25, I would get one...
(forget it actually...this would need configuration on his end...he might find this too complicated...go fuck yourself)

...you filthy beggar.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

It's not "unsecured" as in anyone can connect to it. I already tried that. I had to give him my wireless lan adapter physical address so he could add me to the network. I know you know more about this than I, but please bear with me.

For logging in under a guest account, how do I set up windows to give me that option?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Screw_Michigan wrote:It's not "unsecured" as in anyone can connect to it. I already tried that. I had to give him my wireless lan adapter physical address so he could add me to the network. I know you know more about this than I, but please bear with me.

For logging in under a guest account, how do I set up windows to give me that option?

Which Windows version are you using?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Vista home basic
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/windo ... ows/?p=608

Here's a quick read.

Get back to me tomorrow if you need more help.
Why don’t you just STFU.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

All right so just because you are on an open or closed wireless network, it doesn't mean that all your passwords are out there. What it does mean is that anyone can connect to the network. now let me just say right off the top that just because he asked for your Network address (aka MAC address), thats easy enough to get around, but it should keep out the average ignorant idiots. Problem is that the ignorant idiots are usually not the ones you have to worry about...

Once they are connected to the network, its that much easier to connect to your machine and potentially install programs that might be able to listen in for passwords and credit card information. If you run your own firewall and set passwords on your machine, don't use IE, etc..., you can seriously reduce the threat you are exposed to. Actually what I would do is get an access point and have that connect to your friend's network (called wireless bridging) than configure that so that your connection is encrypted between your machine and your firewall. Usually any private information that you are entering on the web is encrypted via SSL anyway, so its not easy to sniff on the networks it passes across (including your friend's network).

As far as your speed goes, there could be several possibilities for this slow down. First and foremost, you are going through an extra wireless link. Not being in his house, there is a good chance your wireless connection isn't as strong as your local one was, contributing to slower traffic. You could in theory test this by going over to his place or even just watching how strong your signal and speed is on wireless. Also if you do a traceroute (tracert), it will tell you the route its taking and pinging every node along the way. It should show at which point the slow down is happening. The other thing that could happen is that he is paying for shitting internet access speeds, and then charging you and his other buddies so he doesn't pay much for the cheap internet speed. If he is getting $20, maybe he should upgrade his internet speed to account for all of you. If the problem is the distance between you and the access point, using the wireless bridge idea may solve your speed issues.

Good luck.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Since my Comcast promo ended, I decided to stick to just cable and leech off my neighbor's internet connection. He lets me hop on for $5 a month. The kicker is it's an unsecured connection, and I've heard bad things about unsecured connections (like leaving your credit card numbers vulnerable if you were buying shit online). If anyone here can clue me in to the truth and anything I can do to protect my computer and shit on it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Just suck a couple more dicks each month and you can afford a DSL account.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Goober McTuber wrote: Just suck a couple more dicks each month and you can afford a DSL account.

Do you recommend he look for a higher download cap or greater upload speed?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Martyred wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: Just suck a couple more dicks each month and you can afford a DSL account.

Do you recommend he look for a higher download cap or greater upload speed?
There is no cap for his download. It is infinite.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:Just suck a couple more dicks each month and you can afford a DSL account.
I know the thought of men blowing men appeases you, but we don't have DSL in my neighborhood.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Just suck a couple more dicks each month and you can afford a DSL account.
I know the thought of men blowing men appeases you
IKYABWAI. Way to step it up, slapnuts. Actually, it should appease you. More swallowing means less mopping.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:we don't have DSL in my neighborhood.

Didn't realize you lived in Afghanistan.

Which means you barbarians probably don't have Clear yet, either.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Screw_, better restore to a previous day.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Your bill was going up 40 bucks, so you're paying this dude 5 bucks to feed off his unsecure connection? Uhh, you can't figure a way to cut back a measely 35 bucks a month to keep your internet access? Jesus, Patrick Ewing's budgeting skills look like Alan Greenspan's compared to yours. Just eat out 2 or 3 less times per month and you've made up the difference right there. Problem solved you ASS.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Your bill was going up 40 bucks, so you're paying this dude 5 bucks to feed off his unsecure connection? Uhh, you can't figure a way to cut back a measely 35 bucks a month to keep your internet access? Jesus, Patrick Ewing's budgeting skills look like Alan Greenspan's compared to yours. Just eat out 2 or 3 less times per month and you've made up the difference right there. Problem solved you ASS.
There are other things I'd rather spend the extra $40 on than internet. Shove your budget smack up your fucking ass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

PSUFAN wrote:Screw_, better restore to a previous life.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I guess it's not there yet, but...

http://www.clearwirelessinternet4g.com/ ... ashington/

They're on the list.

Good move by Clear, if Our Nation's Capital is so fucking backwoods that that haven't upgraded PBX switches in the last 30 years, so that they can actually run DSL through them.

I live adjacent to a major business hiway, with fiber under the street, and multiple CO's are next to me... which sucks for traffic, but kinda rules for getting high speed internet (3 meg DSL here, but it's cheap).

BTW -- My experience with Clear was a positive one. The woman had it at her old place (in the hood, whether DSL was available was debatable, but no provider would even give a straight answer unless you were talking about getting a TV/internet/phone bundle), and had the 3 meg option. Worked flawlessly, and the throughput always seemed to test out at exactly what they said it would. The 3 meg was $35, IIRC... might have been $30. IIRC, they also offered a 1.5 meg option for less.

Clear, although they try to hide it through multiple other companies, is Intel's baby. And since Intel decided many years ago that Portland was going to be, and always going to be "the WiFi capital of the universe," they've been around here for a few years (Portland had the 1st 4G cell phone network in the world, as well). For some odd reason, Clear chose Atlanta as their other early offering.

Do the cell phone companies have 4G in DC yet? Considering there's wayyyyyy more people in the DC area than here, and wayyyy less terrain to deal with, you'd think the Capital would be on the forefront of that shit. But if 4G is available, look into it. Whoooole different world from the POS old 3G adapters the cell companies have offered in the past -- major upgrade.

Just something to look into.

Comcast is the devil-BTW-IMO. But 'round these parts, they've got their routing/infrastructure fucking rocking these days. Don't know about elsewhere, but they offer 50meg downloads around here... probably a lot of other places, too, I'm sure. This area is known for having a big fat backbone, but I'm sure it's spreading. FiOS offers 50 or 60 meggers, too... but you still get suckered into that "first 6/12 months" dealio... and then they try and bleed you.

And whatever you do, never get suckered into your ISP's e-mail for professional purposes... that's where they fuck you. You're stuck between a rock and a lost-contacts place once you become dependent on "XXXXXXXX@Comcast.net."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

S_M, you are definitely a cheap motherfucker. Either that, or you have a shit paying job and bad credit.

In saying that, however, I do take issue with the price of of highspeed internet these days. I don't understand why I get a letter every year from Comcast telling me my price is going up because of ongoing support and maintenance to the system.

Bullshit.

I can't leave for another competitor though. I'm currently getting 13 dn and 2 up with Comcast. Nobody else can touch that sans maybe the up speed.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Go Coogs' wrote:S_M, you are definitely a cheap motherfucker. Either that, or you have a shit paying job and bad credit.

In saying that, however, I do take issue with the price of of highspeed internet these days. I don't understand why I get a letter every year from Comcast telling me my price is going up because of ongoing support and maintenance to the system.

Bullshit.

I can't leave for another competitor though. I'm currently getting 13 dn and 2 up with Comcast. Nobody else can touch that sans maybe the up speed.
I don't want to pay $110/month for cable and internet. It's as simple as that. I love how people equate pissing away money with being cheap or having a shit-paying job and bad credit. But of course in Rumps' world of incredible logic, "not wanting to piss money down the toilet" = "bad job, bad credit" as does "that woman weighs 300 lbs" = "sexually attractive."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

And thanks for the reference, Dins. I will make sure to keep my eye out for those guys.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Screw_Michigan wrote: I don't want to pay $110/month for cable and internet. It's as simple as that.

I don't want a new Rolex. Help me throw this brick through the window so I could get one.
It's as simple as that.
Why don’t you just STFU.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

your ISP's e-mail
Eh? What's that?

Sin,
Gmail in 2003
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Okay Screw, you've taken enough of a beating. I'll help.

First, what kind of computer do you have?

Second, download Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. Run it, then post a pic of your scan, showing the available networks near you.
Why don’t you just STFU.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Sprint is the only one who has started rolling out 4G and DC doesn't have it yet. I think they'll get it later this year though. They were at the top of the list for the rollout.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

ElTaco wrote:Sprint is the only one who has started rolling out 4G and DC doesn't have it yet. I think they'll get it later this year though. They were at the top of the list for the rollout.
Restore to a previous date, Taco.

:meds:
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Martyred wrote:Okay Screw, you've taken enough of a beating. I'll help.

First, what kind of computer do you have?

Second, download Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. Run it, then post a pic of your scan, showing the available networks near you.
Thanks Marty. I'm leaving for vacation tonight, but I'll make sure to get back on it when I return next week.