Lets talk Phones...

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Lets talk Phones...

Post by ElTaco »

Ok so whats your phone? I'm personally still on a Omni and tired of it even though I have only had it for about a year. The Omni is a windows mobile phone but its a bit slow and old and of course I just hate the screen and the touch interface that windows mobile use (pressure sensitive). I'm thinking about switching to the HTC Droid Eris. Anyone play with one yet?
JMak
I merely noted

Re: Lets talk Phones...

Post by JMak »

Blackberry Tour here. Came from a Q9c that had winmo on it. Really liked the phone when I had tons of time to fool around w/ customizing the winmo os. But I think the Blackberry blows it away. Haven't touched a Droid, yet though. You might try xdadevelopers website for experiences...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Goober McTuber wrote:Image
"Bundle that with a 3G plan and you've got yourself a sale!"

Sincerely, wolfman
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Staying with a basic sprint flip phone. Probably will switch to a Google offering, once those offerings mature a little bit.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

At this point I'm waiting for the HTC Droid Eris phone to be upgraded to 2.0 or 2.1, which in theory should happen in the next month or so (1st qt of 2010). I have played with the phone some but have not tested it for specific applications/functionality. However, to be truthful, my Omnia is having so many issues with basic functionality and I'm tired of the interface even for simple things such as texting and making calls.
Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Post by Sky »

iphone 3GS for $97 at Walmart or wait for 4GS?
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I think there is a number of things I would consider before buying an Iphone these days, first and foremost the AT&T Network.

AT&T is still focusing on upgrading its 3G Network and is only now testing its 4G capabilities with deployment expected to come sometime in 2011. Sprint is already rolling out its 4G network in Select Cities and Verizon is expect to release it by the end of this year. AT&T will once again be behind the curve. Don't forget that just because they are deploying it, you may not see it for months or years, depending on where you are. Major cities usually get it fairly fast but other areas take a while.

Also when the new version of the iphone was released, apple didn't make the software backward compatible with the older phones, so the people who originally purchased the phone and made it as popular as it is today basically got screwed. In other words, when 4G comes out, and there have been some rumors that some version of it may end up on Verizon's network too, you may regret not being able to upgrade the software on your 3GS to the 4G software.

Android is now outselling the iPhone and within the next year it could very well become the #1 phone to beat. There are still some applications that aren't available on the droid but I'm fairly certain that will be fixed in the coming months as companies realize just how popular it is.

Finally, depending on how happy you are with Apple and AT&T, you may consider looking at the Android platform. The nice thing is that you can get on any provider with it now and have essentially the same capabilities as an iPhone.

Of course at under $100 for the iPhone, I guess you really don't have much to lose because even if you decide to change phones again in 6 months, I'm sure you will agree that you got $100's worth of fun out of it. I guess the bigger issue would be the 2 year deal you would be forced to sign, which would mean you couldn't get the reduced price for at least a year or two on any new AT&T phones.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

AT&T is teh complete suck.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Oh yeah, me = new ATT employee. Can't beat the 50% off discounted rate plan so going with another provider would mean it would have to be twice as good.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sounds like you have answered your question.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Well, the provider isn't an option but the phone is. Should I just wait till the 4G is out for a while and go with the 3GS right now?
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Well all you have to do is look at these features and decide if you want to wait for them or if you don't need them...

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

What's new
• Front-facing video chat camera
• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
• Camera flash
• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
• Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x640 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
• Split buttons for volume
• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed
• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
• An aluminum border going completely around the outside
• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
• Everything is more squared off
• 3 grams heavier
• 16% Larger battery
• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

Obviously the 4G is much better, the question is are you willing to wait. Also as an ATT employee do you get discounts on ATT phones? If so, again it may not matter if you spend $100 now and then only have to spend $100 or $200 in a few months for the new 4G.
Sky

Post by Sky »

Thanks for the link/breakdown. We don't get discounts on phones, just plans.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Just as a note, If the phone that Gizmodo has is in fact the iPhone 4, then the current rumors have it being released in June. I'd say its probably worth the wait. I also read on another site that Walmart will be selling the iphones for $97 so if it turns out to be false, you should be able to still buy it for under $100, but I'd say thats probably a sign that the new phone is about to hit.