Need a jumper settings link to set up my hard drives

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Need a jumper settings link to set up my hard drives

Post by Mister Bushice »

I added a DVD burner to my PC, so I had to switch around my drive cables to accommodate it.

Previously, I had my main C drive hooked up on a single IDE/ATA cable directly to the MB. Both it and the back up drive are western Digital. The C drive came stock with the Dell PC, I bought the secondary drive as back up storage.

Now in order to access both drives, I have to change the IDE connector cable to allow two drives to be hooked up to one cable. The main C drive will be on the 40 pin connector in the middle, the back up drive on the end one. The problem here is that the middle connector is usually used for the slave drive, but because of the layout of the drives the connector won't work any other way. It just can reach both drives unless set up this way, unless I remove and switch the drive positions.

I'm looking for a link on how the jumpers should be set, though. The main drive ( 10 pin jumper) won't work in its current configuration if there are two drives on the connector cable, but I'm not sure what the jumper settings are, or if it is even possible to set it up this way.

I'm thinking I have to switch drive positions. Ugh. Dell has this wanky setup with the main drive in a vertical slot.

The back up drive is also a 10 pin connector, btw.

Thoughts?
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Re: Need a jumper settings link to set up my hard drives

Post by Mister Bushice »

Edit.
Found a western digital link for the jumper settings, but I had to set up the 2nd drive vertically next to the first to make the connectors reach.

Not ideal, but it'll work.