.wav file default question in IE

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

.wav file default question in IE

Post by Mister Bushice »

Is there a setting in IE that can stop downloaded .wav files from default opening in winamp?

I already had him set the .wav file type to default to the program he wants, but these are downloaded .wav files only, and they auto open in winamp in IE.

I know how to change these defaults in firefox, but I don't use IE any more, and my cousin asked me about this.

And he can't use FF to D/L, because the website he has to get the files from doesn't support FF. It's a work thing, I guess.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: .wav file default question in IE

Post by ElTaco »

The only place I know about setting programs in IE is under Internet Options - Programs, but I don't know of any place to set wav file settings in there. It just does the default (word, email, news group, etc...). My guess would be that the default is still somehow set to the old player in windows.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

I spoke with him again today to get more detail. He has XP and is using IE.

According to him, the .wav file type itself has been set in his computer to default open in some other audio player, but upon clicking the website button to download the .wav file, Windows Media Player connects to the internet, and then the .wav file auto opens in Windows Media Player without giving him the option to save, nor will it open in his default audio program.

I know there must be a setting somewhere to have it prompt to save all files - maybe in the IE browser options?

He also tried to delete W.M.P. from the control panel menu, but it would not let him.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

He may have to hit ctrl+click to save or right click and do save as, but it depends on the link/button type.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Media players do battle to control your file default settings. There are utilities that can help you manage these settings: http://download.cnet.com/File-Associati ... 09234.html
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

ElTaco wrote:He may have to hit ctrl+click to save or right click and do save as, but it depends on the link/button type.
It's apparently a webpage "download file" button, but it automatically opens the .wav file, which makes me think there is a setting somewhere in his computer that needs to be changed to allow prompting. No option to right click, but ctrl click might work, I'll ask him to try that.

That utility doesn't seem to be very highly rated, PSU.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Cool, all I did was a google search for Manage File Associations.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

I hate doing phone tech support with friends and family.
chargerfan
Elwood

Post by chargerfan »

http://www.google.com/search?q=Is+there ... 1I7GGLJ_en

This is all i could find. Hope this helps.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Thanks. It looks like it might be a setting in IE 6 in the media bar, I'll have him check it tomorrow.