Cams for web meetings

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Cams for web meetings

Post by Mister Bushice »

ET I know you mentioned once you use logitechs computer cams, but that was while ago I was wondering if there's anyone here who has a brand with good pic quality that could be useful over a skype type connection.

My sister wants to try and hook up some of our family members who don't live close so our mammy can see our faces now and again.

I've never owned one nor had a reason to use one, so I figured I'd ask here. I think Scott uses one as well.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Re: Cams for web meetings

Post by Mister Bushice »

OK so I did a little research, and logitech comes up consistently over other brands. Creative and microsoft being the other two. I wouldn't buy a MS product if I had other options, and Logitech consistently out rates Creative.

They have two popular models in the $100-150 price range. one is a fixed unit, the other has pan and tilt and "face tracking" technology.

The fixed unit which is the 9000 model, has slightly better ratings overall.

The tracking one, which is the Orbit AF, has more complaints, but still is rated fairly high.

The orbit one seems more suited to a home environment, especially if you want to observe a room and the 900 model seems more well suited to a face to face, where you won't be moving much. Plus the 9000 can be used as a desktop mount or laptop mount.

The 9000 also gets excellent image ratings.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I"d say you answered your question well. I'd say Logitech is the leader in the home webcam and that is in fact all that I have (3 of them). Also Cisco re-lables theirs and sells it for some of their products. As far as quality goes, most of them do the same stuff in terms of quality but as you may have seen Logitech has the best stuff. I like the Orb one in concept but it has a lot of stuff that can fail and for simple face to face meetings its not needed. I have the Pro 4000 and it is doing awesome. Works in a variety of places. If you want travel, they have a bunch of options as well that work well.

I"d say you really can't go wrong with any big names and the prices are cheap all around, but you definitely found the right answer I would have recommended which is Logitech.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

I've only bought Creative cams & Logitech mice. The Creative cams (all stationary) I've bought have been cheap, yet what appears to be darn good quality. What do the Logitech cams have over the Creative ones?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22