IPod / Itunes Suck Horse Cock

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

KC Scott

IPod / Itunes Suck Horse Cock

Post by KC Scott »

My company Dell shot craps a couple months ago.

I didn't have my music backed up beacuse I mistakenly thought my Ipod was like a thumb drive (which it is) and I'd be able to get my music back off it (which I couldn't).

Seems like the synchronization is a one way street - from the PC to the pod and you can't pull anything back out of it - at least not with Itunes.

After fucking with it for a while, I found this:

http://www.ipod-computer.com/iPod-Trans ... gwodJkuTCQ

Worked like a charm, even though it only let me move 5 songs at a time.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Re: IPod / Itunes Suck Horse Cock

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Why not hold your tunes in a flash drive?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Actually the iPod does act as an external drive/thumb drive, but they do their best to hide the files. They use a fairly simple trick, which is to rename all our files totally randomly but if you use a good mp3/mp4 manager it doesn't matter what the files are named because the software/ipod uses the mp3 tagging and you can use software (even iTunes will do this for you) to manage your files and directories and to automatically sort them. This used to work with all the older/non touch iPods.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Scott, try out floola:
http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/

My experience with itunes on Windows is that it is a memory hog, and very buggy. Couple that with the fact they try to prevent you from moving files off of the device, and you have a bad program.

What do most folks want to do with an mp3 player? Put music on it, play it, manage the files on the device, and move files off. floola allows those things to happen without any system overhead, without sucking up all of your RAM, and without crashing.

There are many other alternatives available now - throw "itunes alternative" or "ipod manager" into google and see what you get. Winamp will let you manage things as well.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sounds good on paper... except the woman's Ipod/Itunes, one end of it or the other, went funky and corrupted both sides of the equation recently... also a Dell product, coincidentally (doubt that was a factor).

But, managed to drag and drop the mp3's to an external USB drive (that already held an eye-freaking-popping 350 gigs of MP3's), reinstall windows (there were other issues), and resore the factory defaults to the Ipod.

So I guess I'm saying to put some occasional thought into bulletproofing your music backups. That ordeal was a time-consuming pain-in-the-ass... but it wasn't my machine, so I wasn't sweating it too hard, apart from listening to the subsequent bitching about the asinine Ipod setup.

Thumb drives and generic players seem to be much less a pain in the ass, and you actually get to use your RAM for... running stuff.

Letting ITunes run at startup is the devil-btw.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

In related news, it looks like Apple is FINALLY waving the white flag:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09 ... ached.html

In a parting shot, they are going to pester people to "upgrade" their libraries - that is, remove the DRM shit on the music files they purchased - for a hefty charge.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.