PCI-E question

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

PCI-E question

Post by jiminphilly »

Looking to upgrade my video card from my current NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS (256mb).

I checked my system set-up via Belarc and it states I have the following motherboard:
Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. LEUCITE3 2.00
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.17 09/15/2006

I am looking at a few PCI-E cards that require a 16x slot. I think my PCI-E slot is 16x based on a google search of the MB but is there a free program I can run that will let me know.

I am also going to up my power supply unit to something in the 450-500 watts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: PCI-E question

Post by ElTaco »

You are making this way to complicated.

Look up your machine. I'm guessing its an HP based on the mobo you put out there. Look up the system or open up the case and see what the actual MOBO model is.

For example:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c00783668

My guess is that its something along the lines of the ASUS P5LP-LE, which is indeed a PCI-X 16. My recommendation is if you really want a screaming machine, certainly upgrade the video and ram but you might want to start with the HD and replace your current drive with a Solid State drive (SSD). Their prices are dropping and you can easily get a 128Gb SSD drive for less then a high end video card. Considering that your HD is your slowest piece in your system, this might be your best bet to see some nice gains. Also with the new video card and power supply, make sure your system is getting enough air movement and cooling.

I would install your OS and games on the SSD and keep conventional office programs and data on the regular drive.