.rar file conversion question

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

KC Scott

.rar file conversion question

Post by KC Scott »

I downloaded a program that came in 13 .rar files.

I extracted the first file to a different folder then clicked the .iso and burned it to a dvd

I then extracted the second file to the same folder and overwrote the first files and burned it.

I haven't done the other 11 yet.

My question - Am I doing this correctly?

I put the first dvd in and it loaded the program, and am still going through the courses.
It hasn't asked me to insert a second disc ....... yet.

What's weird is I put the second dvs I burned in and it shows basically the same course outline as the first.

Again, I haven't gone all the way through the first course yet - and haven't deleted any of the .rar files yet - but just want to check if tis sounds like correct process.

TIA
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Re: .rar file conversion question

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Keep all parts in the same directory (or folder) and simply extract Part 1. It will create an image or whatever you have compressed. No need to unrar each file seperately.

For Windows users, I recommend IZArc.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

.rar is fucking bullshit. someone please tell me why it's advantageous to use this format when there are so many other alternative and better file formats to use?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Screw_Michigan wrote:.rar is fucking bullshit. someone please tell me why it's advantageous to use this format when there are so many other alternative and better file formats to use?
Aside from high compression rate, excellent encryption and file splitting?

Nope. Can't think of any.
Why don’t you just STFU.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Martyred wrote:Keep all parts in the same directory (or folder) and simply extract Part 1. It will create an image or whatever you have compressed. No need to unrar each file seperately.

Marty,

How do I know what to burn to disc then - or does tis mean the entire program will run off the first disc I burned?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

KC Scott wrote:
Martyred wrote:Keep all parts in the same directory (or folder) and simply extract Part 1. It will create an image or whatever you have compressed. No need to unrar each file seperately.

Marty,

How do I know what to burn to disc then - or does tis mean the entire program will run off the first disc I burned?
For Windows, I know that IZArc will let you choose the directory you want to extract the files in.
For example, if you have 10 .rar files, you choose to extract Part 1, it will ask you where you want the file dumped and if it's an .ISO, an .ISO file will be created.

To burn the .ISO to disk you must select "Burn Disk Image" or "Create ISO Disk" in your burning program's menu.
Alternately, simply double left clicked the .ISO file will automatically initiate you burning program to open up the "Burn Image To Disk" configuration. This is true for Nero Burning ROM software, but probably similar for others.
I recommend you burn at a slower speed and not the default speed (which is likely you burner's maximum) if you are creating a bootable disk.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Forgot to ask...what is this program?
Why don’t you just STFU.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Martyred wrote:
For Windows, I know that IZArc will let you choose the directory you want to extract the files in.
For example, if you have 10 .rar files, you choose to extract Part 1, it will ask you where you want the file dumped and if it's an .ISO, an .ISO file will be created.

To burn the .ISO to disk you must select "Burn Disk Image" or "Create ISO Disk" in your burning program's menu.
Alternately, simply double left clicked the .ISO file will automatically initiate you burning program to open up the "Burn Image To Disk" configuration. This is true for Nero Burning ROM software, but probably similar for others.
I recommend you burn at a slower speed and not the default speed (which is likely you burner's maximum) if you are creating a bootable disk.
-----------------------------------------------------------

So if I understand this right - I've burned the initial DVD off the ISO - and the program seems to be running fine.
I guess the DVD just references the rest of the .rar files still on my C drive - or will I need to open each one in a sub folder?

BTW: It's French language program - :mrgreen:

trying to learn the native dialect

It's still confusing -
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Scott,

It's a similar concept to clicking on "setup" in a file folder for a program you want installed on your computer.
An ISO file contains all of the required components of the program as well.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Mister Bushice wrote:Scott,

It's a similar concept to clicking on "setup" in a file folder for a program you want installed on your computer.
An ISO file contains all of the required components of the program as well.
Will - I get that -

My question is what the other 12 .rar files are / do / or should be done with.

If it was a movie, I'd have to open all 13 "parts" and then burn them one after another onto a DVD (wouldn't I?)
I'd know where the first part of the movie stopped and that the next file would pick up where it left off.
The question is if it's that same thing for this language program?

I've slacked the last two days and still haven't went past part 11 of the first lesson so haven't hit the "wall" of where I need to open a new .rar file yet.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

KC Scott wrote:
If it was a movie, I'd have to open all 13 "parts" and then burn them one after another onto a DVD (wouldn't I?)
No. You have a movie in 13 .rar files in the same folder/directory, you only have to open the first part and it sets off a "chain reaction", combining all .rar files into a single output.
Why don’t you just STFU.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Martyred wrote:
KC Scott wrote:
No. You have a movie in 13 .rar files in the same folder/directory, you only have to open the first part and it sets off a "chain reaction", combining all .rar files into a single output.

OK - So now we're onto something -

Correct me if any of this is wrong:

1. All 13 .rar parts of this program are in a folder on my c drive
2. I extracted # 01 of the .rar in a subfolder and burned the .ISO to a dvd
3. I ran the dvd I burned and installed the program (it's in a different file though on my c drive)
4. When I run the dvd I now have access to every piece of the program stored on my c drive in the .rar folder?

Thanks guys - I think I'm getting close to understanding this
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

This is why I don't like .rar files.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Screw_Michigan wrote:This is why I don't like .rar files.
stuff works once you understand it........ usually

There's just no help files walking you through it.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

What Marty Says makes sense, and is essentially what I first said - one file opens all else.

Hell, even MS programs have multiple folders that all get unpacked during install.

The program I DL'ed was adobe acrobat pro7. I got it from a torrent site to try it out see if it was worth buying, but it wasn't much different from 6 so I kept 6.

The DL was 15 duplicate folders. Weird, but it was from some hacker site so no surprise I guess.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I hate to break the news but .rar .zip and any other half ass compression program now days will split compressed files into smaller files, which then have to be reconstructed before you can run them.