Stunts

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Stunts

Post by jiminphilly »

Anyone recall this game?

http://stunts.kalpen.de/downldst.htm

I used to build killer tracks on my dad's old IBM when I was younger. Anywho- I want to try and install this on my home pc. I tried running the install from the downloaded file and it wants to pull from the A:\ drive except my laptop doesn't have one. I assume I need to burn this download to a disc and attempt to install from there?
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Re: Stunts

Post by Mister Bushice »

I don't think you need to burn it, I believe you have to download the zip files to a folder and install it from a DOS prompt. No difference anyway.

However I extracted it, scanned them, and tried dumping it into a folder, then opening up and tried to do setup from the DOS prompt, it told me the system file can't handle that type of file.

I'm not so sure NT computers can handle those old MS DOS files. Maybe some conversion has to be done?
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Mister Bushice wrote:I don't think you need to burn it, I believe you have to download the zip files to a folder and install it from a DOS prompt. No difference anyway.

However I extracted it, scanned them, and tried dumping it into a folder, then opening up and tried to do setup from the DOS prompt, it told me the system file can't handle that type of file.

I'm not so sure NT computers can handle those old MS DOS files. Maybe some conversion has to be done?
That's why I'm posting here. :D . I really have no idea what to do next.. and perhaps the age of the program will prohibit it from working... Fuck!.. back in the day it was fun making tracks, racing the car and watching replays of the dukes-of-hazzard like jumps you could make.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Those links are fairly recent - within 3 years, but they are all from germany.

If you want it that much, email the website link they gave and tell them your system type.

I may be missing something but my own system file says it is not suitable for running this type of program, and I have XP Pro.

Maybe something needs to be tweaked? Those guys look geeky enough to know. :)
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... ompat.mspx
Run the Program Compatibility Wizard
You should run the Program Compatibility Wizard before you try other ways of updating your programs or drivers because it identifies compatibility fixes written specifically for Windows XP. If the wizard does not solve your problem, you can try other steps listed at the end of this article.

To run the Program Compatibility Wizard:

1. Click Start, and then click Help and Support.

2. Click Fixing a problem, and then click Application and software problems.

3. Under Fix a problem click Getting older programs to run on Windows XP.

4. Read the instructions and then click the Program Compatibility Wizard
--------------

If nothing can be done, I'd recommend Linux look for DOSEMU.

--------------

Another route is Virtualization. Download Sun's Virtual Box and install it. You should be able to create a machine that has FreeDOS or even Linux - then download DOSEMU.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Rack the nerds in this forum for giving me some options. I'll let you know how it goes after this weekend.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Tom In VA wrote: If nothing can be done, I'd recommend Linux look for DOSEMU.

Another route is Virtualization. Download Sun's Virtual Box and install it. You should be able to create a machine that has FreeDOS or even Linux - then download DOSEMU.
There are a bunch of Dos Emulators and Virtual solutions. I personally run VMWare's stuff since that is what we use at work. VMWare player and VMWare Server are both free and can easily run any version of Dos. I use these to run some forensic tools that will not run in windows.