Photography

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

ElTaco
Networking Securely

Photography

Post by ElTaco »

Ok so plenty of you do web development and from the pictures posted, I'm sure there is plenty of you who play with cameras.

Can you share what cameras you use along with what tools you use to edit your pictures. I myself have been playing with a K1000 for a while and finally got myself a Nikon D60 to move to the digital world. It is very sweet and have already started to take a ton of pictures from my recent vacation to the Outer Banks, and just daily outings. I'm thinking about using Gimp and Picasa to manage and edit my pictures.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

-Dave
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Re: Photography

Post by Mister Bushice »

I'm not a big time cameraphile dude, but I take a lot of work related pics. I use a canon Powershot SD 750, and have for years. The picture quality is awesome, the camera is rugged, it takes excellent "motion" shots, as long as you aren't too close to the subject, excellent low light pics with the flash, as long as it is not too big of a dark space or the subject is not too far away. It uses standard memory flash cards, so I can fit hundreds of high quality pics on my 2gb card, over 7,000 of screen quality pics.

My first Canon took 25,000 pictures over 3-4 years before it crapped out. I promptly went out and bought the same model.

I don't use much software other than p-shop 7 to crop stuff. The camera has a software program that removes red eye, but like I said, not a big camera snob. this camera just works for me, and fits in my pocket.

also - It has lithium batteries, which are rechargeable, and I have two so I never have a problem. Bought a 110 car charger adapter, so if I'm on the road I can charge one battery up while using the other if necessary.

If I ever do any online pic stuff I'll just P-bucket them.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

i have a sony 4.1 pixels cyber-shot

had it for long time, getting a new one in week or 2, still dont know what to get

tired of going to football games, and close up shots of field, look like im in next county.

i use some free web site to scale the photos down. acdsee wont save as jpeg or jif, so i use the free one.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

was looking at a Cannon Power shot, SD990

14.7 mega pixels. seems like every review is excellent. and going from 4.1 to 14.7 is like going from a tandy to a exbox 360.

anyone used or have one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G5ZTWM?tag ... SWRNRTRNA&

might buy it this weekend online. reading reviews, so far seems to be an excellent camera.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I pretty much swear by Fireworks...but I will open the behemoth PS in a pinch. The Gimp and Picasa are darn good options that I'd go with if I didn't have the aforementioned.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mister Bushice wrote:My first Canon took 25,000 pictures over 3-4 years before it crapped out.
Dude! That’s like 20 pictures every fucking day for 3-4 years. Are you Japanese?
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

No I'm not yapanese, and I'm not joking, either.

My monthly pic folders total between 450-550 pics.

I do engineering work that requires a lot of visual picture support. I'll take 40 pics in an hour for 8 hours a day for several days a week. Lots of detail shots. Boring? sometimes. Important? HELL yes.

I needed a rugged small cam, not a cam that required special handling. I've dropped this cam 3-4 times. Takes a licking......keeps on Ka-licking.

Another reason why I like this camera. I can take a pic of a drivers license with this cam and it will be as clean and clear a shot as a 30 foot distant pic of the drivers car.

and on vacation,

Hell, I'll take 20 shots of a sunset if I feel like it.

I have two - 2gb cards and no development costs.

You live in gods country. You can't tell me you aren't snapping at least 100 pics on a three day trip int paradise.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Just got my new camera from UPS man.

cannon sd990 IS 14.7 mega pixels.

have to take some pics, and give a review!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

the memory card with camera was 32mb, it took 6 photos and it was full

got me a 4 gig card very reasonable.

i had some great pics from it, but left them on my aunts computer, since it only held 6 pictures.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

here is a picture i took of a Large mouth bass i caught last weekend, with new camera

Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Try messing with your resolution settings.

For most pics you post on the internet, the screen image capabilities of the average monitor just don't support high res image quality, or if they do it doesn't matter that much. It's not like you're a professional photog.

IOW if you need to take a bunch of pics, bump it down to standard or lower. If the camera is decent, it will still deliver well at the lower ppsi ratio. Mine does and then some. I use the lowest setting and medium shot pics are awesome.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

bushice

that's what my Bro in law was telling me, he said you can scale it down big time. Here's my question, will scaling down the pic size take away from the rez or pic quality?
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Depends on the camera, but I know that my images are just as good at the lower settings.

Try it. Take two pics of the same thing at different settings, then compare. I think you'll find that there won't be a great deal of difference, unless you are doing artwork.