Google is gonna make your iPhone look silly

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Google is gonna make your iPhone look silly

Post by PSUFAN »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080923/ap_ ... ogle_phone

-$179
-more features
-Phone OS free and open source
-Phone applications will be open source, not commercial like Apple's offerings

heh heh... :waz:
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: Google is gonna make your iPhone look silly

Post by ElTaco »

I'm excited. I think the interface of the Iphone will be hard to beat but I also think that the applications will quickly beat what is available for the Iphone and even the Microsoft based phones.

Currently, I have a Microsoft phone (HTC - XV9600) and I love it for the most part. It has a touch screen with a keyboard, has applications, games, and works awesome for work. I can play on it, work on it, email/calendar/etc... It has one major downfall, it crashes a lot. I really want a newer OS (this one is 5, which is now 3 years old).

The Iphone excels with its user interface. No one currently can touch it, but it is a closed system and since it is fairly new, the applications aren't as widely available, although that is changing slowly. As always, apple concentrates less on business functionality and more on interface and usablity and when you only consider those two, the iphone is currently unparalleled but hopefully not for long.

From what I've read so far, the google phone will be fairly exciting and has a lot to offer but ultimately I think that HTC still did not really match the Iphone on design and I'm not 100% sure that the usability is as clever as it is on the iphone. My real interest, once the google phone arrives on Verizon's network will be to see how I can use it for business.
One current huge shortfall that I see is the lack of ability to use the phone as a modem. This isn't an iphone issue but in this respect, my current MS phone is better then the google phone.
Of course being that this is an open source phone with open source software and anyone can write and publish applications, I'm fairly certain that companies will quickly publish a lot of applications for the google phone as its popularity and feature set build.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Anyone seen the new Blackberry Storm? I hope the price will be similar to the iphone/google phone. Seems to offer a lot of the same stuff the iphone does, and then some. It should be out on the Verizon network first.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Sprint has a new one that looks good as well.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Did anyone get it or order the phone yet? From what I heard it came out today for T-Mobile. Apparently there were a lot of orders already and there is a lot of interest but not sure if they had the lines that iphone had. Then again, google isn't playing the games that apple/Att did so no big surprise yet. Hope something comes to Verizon soon.