Vista

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Vista

Post by Dinsdale »

I know Vista has been discussed before, but now we've had some time to see it in action...

What'ya guys think?

Myself...

Yet another atrocity committed against mankind by M$.

Jeebuz.

Do you want to read the rest of Dinsdale's Post? Hit just about anything to cancel and piss yourself off, or move the cursor and click the non-default "Continue"

Got handed a laptop with what I've learned to be the "notorious and dreaded" won't DHCP or DNS issue.

Tried every fix listed on the internet for it... and trust me, there's a bunch.

And that UAC thing... are they serious? (That was quickly bypassed... completely unacceptable, and I'm sure the person who actually owns the machine (buddy's client) will appreciate it being gone.). BTW-if you type "Disable UAC" in that combo search/run-line bar, it turns it off after a reboot, IIRC. Or through "MSCONFIG."

And the lack of control over processes and whatnot, to the point that where if you want to tweak anything, you're now fucking around with registry values (maybe simple for the programmer types, but black freaking voodoo for the masses)? That's supposed to enhance usability?

Not for me, thanks. Hell, I'm still too pissed off at XP to be able to dedicate the level of hate to Vista that it so richly deserves, so for now, I'll just pretend it never happened.

I actually really dig the GUI... it's just the hilariously deficient OS it's connected to I don't like.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: Vista

Post by PSUFAN »

Most of the really odious and invasive stuff they cooked the OS up for in the first place had to be dropped...so really, Vista is just a somewhat souped-up skin for XP.

The Aero stuff is a joke - and a pretty frivolous thing to waste memory on.

Other than that, no real complaints. It's interesting to see that the OS supports (un)compressing files without resorting to a wizard utility (XP) or a third party (<XP). That said, I have quickly installed 7Zip on both of my computers that run Vista.

I haven't had any driver trouble as of yet, but both said computers were new purchases, so you'd expect the hardware they run would work.

Yes, the UAC is laughably inane...after a google, easily fixed.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

There are so many stupid issues with Vista, I or my company won't even touch it for now.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

"Works just like XP!!" is hardly a selling point for a large organization.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

DRM rubbish.

Walk away, people.

Walk

Away
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Martyred wrote: Walk away, people.
We won't.

So just remember... "Diasable UAC."
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

I've got Xp running on the laptop, Vista running on the HP, and ubuntu Linux running on the older Dell desktop I have. I'm toying with the thought of purchasing my mom's old MacBook Pro since she is about to get handed a new one by the state from grant money. I might have all 4 major OS' under my roof by the end of this month. This could get ugly.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BTW -- Turning off IP v6 seems like an extremely good idea, too.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

diT dropped this link years ago - it's still a great site:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not only are the windows tweeks good, the rants he posts are fucking hilarious. The dude is a living stereotype.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Rack that site, PSU. My Vista is running like a champ now after disabling the UAC, updating my drivers, and applying my appearence for best performance. Looks a bit dull, but its so much faster.
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I can honestly say I'm still a Vista Newb because I will not touch it with a 10 foot stick!

Honestly just don't see a reason to. Thankfully my company averted disaster by putting off the Vista upgrade for now. I am certain it will have to happen at some point but for now we are safe!

I hate these new OS' because MS just really doesn't do that much to enhance them. They take a bunch of Mac OSX and Linux ideas, bloat them up and put it into Windows, then they change a bunch of random crap to make it 'more secure and different' and you get the next iteration of Windows. XP was only a small improvement over 2000. The really good stuff that they promised, has been kept out of Vista so I'll hold off for now.