Marty rips the integrated heatspreader off his new e2200.

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Marty rips the integrated heatspreader off his new e2200.

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

The title is self-explanatory.

So I'm upgrading my Linux media server/transcoder from an AMD Socket 754 DFI motherboard running a Turion ML-37 @ 2.4GHZ w/ 1GB of RAM to...

...a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L Socket 775 running an Intel Core Duo e2200 @ 2.2GHZ w/ 2GB RAM. Snappy!

Now after much research it turns out this mobo/proc combination can overclock quite a bit, so I'm hoping to be able to hit 3.2GHZ on air cooling with my Scythe Katana 2 heatsink. For optimal cooling the IHS, or integrated heatspreader can be removed from the processor, as on many Intel processors. (For a more complete list of processors and whether their heatspreaders are soldered on or glued on, see here.

By removing the IHS, the naked die of the processor can make direct contact with the base of the heatsink, thus allowing for a more efficient removal of heat, of which there'll be plenty of seeing as though I'll be cranking up the the CPU voltage to facilitate higher overclocking potential. The downside is that the naked die is very fragile, and can possibly crack under
uneven heatsink weight distribution, so proceed with caution...
I first cut around the black adhesive holding the IHS to the PCB. Once the cut is made all the way around, the IHS easily pops off...

Here is the IHS showing the manufacturer's stamping...

I use a little bit of this...

...and apply it with a cotton swab to soften up the adhesive, then scrape it away with a cut up credit card...

Here's the underside of the IHS with the (poorly applied) Intel thermal paste...

Here's the final product, all cleaned up and ready to be installed with some of my quality Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

So, right now the system is running at stock FSB and voltages, but once I get it cranked up to a decent overclock (I'm hoping for 3.2GHZ on air cooling) I'll post back with the results.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: Marty rips the integrated heatspreader off his new e2200.

Post by ElTaco »

Nice! Any results yet?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Re: Marty rips the integrated heatspreader off his new e2200.

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Not yet, Taco. Still running it at stock voltages and front side bus.

Ambient temp: 24C
Idle core temp: 30C
No stress-testing yet, but encoding video MPEG2 and running Compiz-Fusion with all the bells and whistles...
...core temps 33-35C.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.