Hey ET - Question

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Hey ET - Question

Post by Mister Bushice »

You mentioned in another thread about converting MSAccess coded pages to webpages.

I saw this program. Ever heard of it?

http://dbconvert.com/convert-dbforms-ac ... aspnet.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm supposed to coordinate this transfer over the next 9 months. It's a big project, but I'm looking for a starting place right now, and wonder if any software programs like this are worth it.

again- we have a stable, well running ms sql database with asp web pages that also work well. The back end is pc based msaccess03. That's the POS part that we need to convert over. Be glad to see it go, too.

thanks
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: Hey ET - Question

Post by PSUFAN »

I have nothing to add except a casual side comment - the site linked to above is powered by php!! hahaha
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Well, I was thinking it could be as simple as taking your Access forms and saving them as HTML/ASP files. This converter certainly sounds much more impressive. One advantage I see is the use of AJAX and even switching you to MS SQL, but the question is, do you have anyone to clean up the code and fix problems and continue where the current system/converter leaves you?

AJAX may be an awesome improvement in speed and capability, but if you don't have anyone that knows how to work with it or isn't willing to learn, it may be a waste of time. Instead if your Access forms are relatively simple, just save or convert to simple ASP pages and you should be set to go fairly quickly or find a converter that would use ASP or PHP.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

I should also mention that it looks like you can test it for free so It should only take you an hour or two to download and do an initial conversion of a form or two and see how well it would work. I'm sure you or the company have a spare system or your home laptop/pc that you could quickly build a system on that would run MS SQL and a web server for testing purposes.

You can always use VMWare to build a test environment.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Yes I do have someone who could do this. The back end is a stand alone program so we could monkey with it easily enough.

I know you keep up on a lot of this stuff, so I wanted to get your feedback.

Thanks