stupid iTunes question/complaint

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

stupid iTunes question/complaint

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I'm kind of anal about my CD collection and, consequently, my iTunes collection as well. One thing that annoys the shit out of me is that individual performers are alphabetized by their first names rather than their last names. Is there any way around this other than manually changing every artist to "Black, Frank" and "Marley, Bob" and so on?
"Keys, woman!"
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: stupid iTunes question/complaint

Post by PSUFAN »

I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but a google seemed to yield a ton of results. I'm not sure exactly what might work best for you.

http://www.google.com/search?q=itunes+naming+utility" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Well, I managed to find my answer...
(Many people have suggested that a script could automatically do a "Last Name, First Name" sort of routine, but this would be prone to mistakes since not every artist tag is in the format of "First Name-Last Name"; eg: "Red Hot Chili Peppers", which would be rendered as "Peppers, Red Hot Chili", or "Driveby Truckers" as "Truckers, Driveby". AppleScript just can't do syntactic analysis!)
"Keys, woman!"
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Well, you should certainly be able to find a utility that helps you name and categorize files more easily, if automatically seems unrealistic.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.