Great site for online computer help etc..

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Great site for online computer help etc..

Post by jiminphilly »

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the forums have free help towards the removal of spyware, viruses etc..
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: Great site for online computer help etc..

Post by PSUFAN »

Nice! Thanks for the link. Here's a similar one:

http://www.annoyances.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

I've searched both sites along with a basic google search to fix my current problem (sound device is not being recognized by windows) and nothing has worked..

Long story short, the fix the tech had me put my computer through has cost me my sound. In fact if I go to the device manager- sound/audio no device is enabled (everythign is greyed out). I checked device manager and there is one issue with my sound kernel. I have both an onboard sound and a creative sound card and neither will work despite the indication from windows that both are working. I've tried disabling my onboard via the BIOS and I still have the same problem.

I'm sure it's a driver issue though wouldn't my creative card and drivers just override the necessary windows drivers? My possible long-term solution is in the works (obtaining a copy of XP Pro from a bloke across the river). It'll be an upgrade over the XP Home I run now AND take care of all the annoying issues I have.

One question, say I have a virus or 2 on my computer that is under quarantine. if I do a full system reinstall with a new op system etc.. will those viruses just be overridden?
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

if you just 'reinstall' on top of your current system, they will not be over ridden as they are not windows files, although any hooks they may have put into windows may no longer be there.

I would try to uninstall the extra sound card, and get the build in one to work, then plug in the new one. Sound and video built into the MB usually will detect cards added and disable automatically but I've had it where I had them get confused and neither worked. I uninstalled the card, got the on board device working, then installed the card again from scratch. Most of the times that fixes the issue. I've also had where the onboard video worked, but adding a card into the system would black out the video on both. Ended up being a Mobo issue and had to be replaced. If you continue to get weird problems, could be some hardware problem.