FTA - Free to Air

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

FTA - Free to Air

Post by Sky »

Anyone know anything about or use Free-to-air TV?
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Re: FTA - Free to Air

Post by ElTaco »

One of my friends had me look into it a while back. Seems fairly neat but it seemed like mostly international stuff, religious banter and local junk. I'm sure it can be interesting and the fact that its free doesn't hurt but I don't know if its worth the money to pay for the equipment plus the time to set up to get one or two channels that might occasionally have interesting stuff.

Some people take the Free To Air stuff and hack it to support satellite, which is why most people end up looking into it. From my readings, the Satellite companies are doing a fairly good job to screw up these attempts fairly regularly so that its not worth the time and money to steal satellite service.

An ok description can be found on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are interested in looking into how to upgrade your FTA equipment, I've done it once and it only worked marginally and for a little while to pick up a few Pay channels, but it wasn't great and wasn't worth the hours and hours of efforts. Lots of sites out there to look at though.
Fat Bones
In propria persona

Re: FTA - Free to Air

Post by Fat Bones »

Some people take the Free To Air stuff and hack it to support satellite, which is why most people end up looking into it. From my readings, the Satellite companies are doing a fairly good job to screw up these attempts fairly regularly so that its not worth the time and money to steal satellite service.
A minor inconvenience at best.