Anyone have a solution for the Firefox 2.0 memory hog issue?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Anyone have a solution for the Firefox 2.0 memory hog issue?

Post by At Large »

I was noticing the other day that Firefox 2.0 was clocking in at an ungodly 110 megs of memory. Anyone know why and have a solution to drop that puppy down a bit?
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Are you using a lot of extensions? The mozilla people said they addressed some of the previous mem hog problems, but that the 3rd party extensions were still an issue with memory usage.

There were a couple of things you could do with earlier versions. I seemed to remember it was PSU posting a really good FF adjustment here that helped quite a bit in that department. That was earlier this year I believe.

I'm unwilling to upgrade until I see some kind of a report card on the out of the gate issues with 2.0
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

Now that you mentioned it, I did install an plugin that allows you to play mp3s in the footer area. I think I'll remove it. I noticed that at work, my firefox 2.0 only uses about 30 megs of memory. Thanks for the tip.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

tried DLing that VM validator mentioned in the article down below, it said it was free but it rejected my anon yahoo email address as not acceptable for credit validation. Eff it.

I'm going to check out opera, as FF has been running dog slow on me lately.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

did that work for you?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Mister Bushice wrote:did that work for you?
So far the best of the bunch appears to be the config.trim_on_minimize option. That has never failed to reduce Firefox's memory load. The others don't appear to be influencing my memory usage. But then again, I haven't had memory spike over 144 mb. I'm still tweaking with my settings on my laptop, so if I find anything else I'll post it.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Re: Anyone have a solution for the Firefox 2.0 memory hog issue?

Post by PSUFAN »

http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or if you want to try things by hand:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-fire ... owser.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Holy shit - I think fasterfox truly is the answer.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Apparently the real solution is/will be Firefox 3.0. Beta 2 is currently out for download if you want to test it. From some readings, it is estimated that it is much more memory efficient then FF 2 and IE 7. Already there is talk of FF 4 and how it will push the role of a browser.