Padres

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Padres

Post by Mikey »

50 games into the season they lead MLB with a record of 32-18 (.640), 1.5 games ahead of the Giants and ( :evil: )Dodgers( :hfal: ) who at .612 are tied for the second best record in baseball. With the top three teams all in the NL West, what does that say about the rest of the National League?

But can it last?

Right now they're largely being carried by the pitching staff. Leading all of MLB with 2.56 team ERA (only the Dodgers at 2.97 are under 3.00), Saves, Strikeouts, WHIP and opposing teams' BA of .202 :shock: .

The most exciting thing that's happened around here in years, and very fun to watch. They also lead the majors in stolen bases with 57 (closest team is KC with 36). Recently they lost five of their offensive starters for something like 10 days due to a positive Covid test, and still lost only one game in that stretch. When Tatis Jr. came back he went 11 - 14 with, I think, 4 HR in his first four games.

It's still early in the season, and a lot can go wrong. But they're very deep in young talent. Can they beat the LA team for the NL West? Anybody who can knock the Dodgers off is my favorite team.
Rootbeer

Re: Padres

Post by Rootbeer »

Will Tatis finally live up to his bloated contract? I'll put $100 on nope.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Rootbeer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:37 pm Will Tatis finally live up to his bloated contract? I'll put $100 on nope.
I had been having the same doubts myself.

He went 0 for 5 in his first game back but is hitting something like .350 since, with 4 HRs and 10 RBIs in 14 total games. He's new to playing right field (they put him there to make room for Xander Bogaerts at SS) but he's already made several spectacular running catches and he has a cannon for an arm. I saw him throw out a runner going from first to third on a single with a one bounce missile that was perfectly placed.

He's also one of those players that brings some kind of electricity when he plays. At home he's hitting .364 with a 1.109 OPS. We went to the game on Friday, the first against the Dodgers since the NLDS, and his 2 HRs in the win against Kershaw really brought the house down. He had three of the Padres' five hits yesterday in a losing cause.

So the jury is still out but, so far, he has lived up to expectations. Not only in his stats but in his ability to fill seats. He really is a pleasure to watch. Incredibly talented and totally upbeat. Hopefully he has come to terms with his maturity issues.

Right now I'd say that the most overrated player in MLB is Juan Soto. A different story altogether. I know he's hoping to negotiate something similar, or even bigger, after next season but if he keeps up what he's done so far since joining the Padres mid-season last year it will probably be with a different team. I don't know how many times I've heard him called a "generational" talent. I don't see it. He hasn't hit much and is actually a liability in the outfield, especially playing next to CF Trent Grisham who has won two Gold Gloves in the past three years.
janetgee
Fuckin' Noob

Post by janetgee »

This is a good content. Thank you for letting me comment and spread some good vibes and knowledge to others. I'd like to share enrolling in an online course can really help in your career growth. College of Contract Management offers wide variety of online courses. Check out their site for more info! They're the best!
Donnie Baker's Ghost
I swear to god . . .

Post by Donnie Baker's Ghost »

Mikey wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:50 pm
Rootbeer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:37 pm Will Tatis finally live up to his bloated contract? I'll put $100 on nope.
I had been having the same doubts myself.

He went 0 for 5 in his first game back but is hitting something like .350 since, with 4 HRs and 10 RBIs in 14 total games. He's new to playing right field (they put him there to make room for Xander Bogaerts at SS) but he's already made several spectacular running catches and he has a cannon for an arm. I saw him throw out a runner going from first to third on a single with a one bounce missile that was perfectly placed.

He's also one of those players that brings some kind of electricity when he plays. At home he's hitting .364 with a 1.109 OPS. We went to the game on Friday, the first against the Dodgers since the NLDS, and his 2 HRs in the win against Kershaw really brought the house down. He had three of the Padres' five hits yesterday in a losing cause.

So the jury is still out but, so far, he has lived up to expectations. Not only in his stats but in his ability to fill seats. He really is a pleasure to watch. Incredibly talented and totally upbeat. Hopefully he has come to terms with his maturity issues.

Right now I'd say that the most overrated player in MLB is Juan Soto. A different story altogether. I know he's hoping to negotiate something similar, or even bigger, after next season but if he keeps up what he's done so far since joining the Padres mid-season last year it will probably be with a different team. I don't know how many times I've heard him called a "generational" talent. I don't see it. He hasn't hit much and is actually a liability in the outfield, especially playing next to CF Trent Grisham who has won two Gold Gloves in the past three years.
Solid commentary.

I like Tatis' energy. You're right he does bring people to the game and everyone pays attention when he's affecting gameplay. His numbers are still down though.

I almost agree with you on Soto...however he is having a better season than Junior. Juan is one of a very select few with more walks than strikeouts and that's hugely significant. Time will tell if he lives up to the hype but that one stat K/BB bodes very, very well for him.
Shut up, Randy!