So McCaffrey and Fournette are going to skip their bowls.

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: So McCaffrey and Fournette are going to skip their bowls

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:I think they're self-centered assholes.

If you're that hung up on the NFL - get out your junior season. Don't play a whole regular season with your team and throw them under the bus.

God damned "Me, me, me, me" shit.
Or maybe the school could actually sign them to contract and make them paid employees. They can call it work study program. These guys are unpaid amateurs and the only thing they control are their bodies. I don't blame them one bit for skipping meaningless exhibition games.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

You're right. Neither one of those guys did anything for their "team" the past couple of years.

Look for Bryce Love to run wild in the Sun Bowl. He'll be the Pac12 rushing leader next year.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:I see that side, too - but just don't play that year if this is the plan. Still something to be said about "team".
That ship sailed with the Gipper.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Papa Willie wrote:If you're that hung up on the NFL - get out your junior season.

Uhm... uhm...

nevermind.

Mikey wrote:He'll be the Pac12 rushing leader next year.
Not if Freeman comes back. Even if he doesn't, Tony Brooks-James is an animal. Although I think the new offense will be a little more pass-oriented.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:My bad on both, Dins. I thought they were Seniors this year.

Still - it's basically fucking their team & fans in the ass. If they're so scairt about getting hurt in one game - just sit out the whole season.

Next to come - they'll sit out the NFL Combine, as they could get hurt from running.
They should definitely refuse to do anything that might cause their draft status to slip. That's what they went to school for to learn how to play football for a living.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Except they have something to gain at the combine. At the bowls, they stand to gain a nice dinner and a tote bag full of crap.

Sorry, but the athletic departments at Stanford and LSU are looking out for the athletic departments at Stanford and LSU. McCaffrey and Fournette are looking out for McCaffrey and Fournette. Can't say I blame them.

If you'll remember, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu got hurt practicing for the Rose Bowl (which I'm guessing McCaffrey wouldn't have missed, had Furd made it). Before that, he was projected as one of the first few picks in the draft ($$$$$$$$). Heck, Ifo stayed for his senior season, despite being a projected first-rounder. After the injury, he ended up in the 7th round (not so much $$$$$$). Although his family was smart enough to take out insurance for such things, so he still got $3 mil out of the deal.

I don't think he's played a down in the NFL, and ended up making a few bucks.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

If indeed we perceive bowel games as exhibition, I would like to see redshirt freshman, transfers, and true freshman be declared eligible to play in bowl games without losing a year.
We all like to believe in the up and comers being the difference in our programs. This would in my belief, make bowl games much more intriguing. Plus staffs can get a great look at players prior to spring. Kids would play their ass off to make an early statement.
Vegas would hate it.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Fournette has been dealing with nagging ankle injuries.

McCaffrey is just another Stanford pussy.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

First thing we need to do is go back to no more than ten bowl games. If you make a postseason game it should freaking mean something.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

There's at least one 5-7 team playing in a bowl this year.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Dinsdale wrote:Although I think the new offense will be a little more pass-oriented.
I'd be pretty surprised if Coach Taggart switched to a more passing oriented attack.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

6 - 6 is the cutoff unless there aren't enough 6 - 6 or better teams to go around.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:There's at least one 5-7 team playing in a bowl this year.
Fuck. Really? I thought 6-6 was the cutoff? That's just awful.
Mississippi State in the St. Petersburg Bowl. Also, had the Minnehaha team followed through with their boycott, I believe Northern Illinois was to be their replacement. Also 5-7.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:Although I think the new offense will be a little more pass-oriented.
I'd be pretty surprised if Coach Taggart switched to a more passing oriented attack.

Looking at USF's stats, he seems to prefer a very run-first offense... just the way we like it (this was the first season that Oregon didn't lead the PAC in rushing in like... forever). And he's got a stable full of RBs to work with, and a young, but developing OLine.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I really don't understand why a school would want to do a bowl game unless it was a top-tier bowl game. They get stuck paying the tab for tickets none of the alumni want and they have to deal with all the logistic fuckery of moving their program to a neutral site. I just don't see where the payout from the Air Force Reserve bowl is worth it. The coaches like it, for the extra practice time. So let the teams have a two-week-long winter practice session during winter break.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Here's an idea... you guys have a remote control for your TV, right?

I'm not one to complain about too much football. In 2 weeks, we'll all be bitching about a lack of BTPCFB.

I'd rather watch a couple of 3-9 teams go at it than Leave It To Beaver... reruns. Hell, my Trailblazers are fucking unwatchable, and you guys want to do away with December football?

Go fuck yourselves.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:I really don't understand why a school would want to do a bowl game unless it was a top-tier bowl game. They get stuck paying the tab for tickets none of the alumni want and they have to deal with all the logistic fuckery of moving their program to a neutral site. I just don't see where the payout from the Air Force Reserve bowl is worth it. The coaches like it, for the extra practice time. So let the teams have a two-week-long winter practice session during winter break.

Hard to even know where to start with this retardation.

"Logistical fuckery" of moving their shit? Uhm... they do it around 5 times a year (3 for Bama and tOSU). They're kinda set up to do that.

The payout for the Air Force Bowl is 1 million per conference. Sure, in a real conference (sup not B12), the team doesn't get the money, but the conference does, and divvies it up -- it's up to each member to do their part and rake in as much bowl money as possible.

Lesser teams routinely travel across the country to get their ass kicked for 4-500K... and it pays the bills.

And it's during winter break, and the players and fans can leave shitty flyover places and go spend a week partying in Florida... people bitch about players not being paid, then they bitch when the kids get a nice, mostly-free vacation week.

If sponsors want to pay teams to play a bowl... let'em.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Whole lotta me, me, me in this thread. As one who actually played college I have a huge problem with players skipping Bowl games. If you accept the scholarship then you play the schedule the school lays out. Period. What's next, guys are only going to play in the marquee matchups because taking snaps against left right upper directional state isn't on TV in prime time?

Further look no further than Clowney. Dude made a highlight play in a bowl game that was replayed for 4 months leading up to the draft. You want to make yourself ready for the draft, best thing you can do is go out and prove yourself in a bowl game.

Granted there are plenty of issues with the current scholarship process and I have listed them here previously. I will continue to lend my voice to fixing these issues, but at the same time I would support language that required players to play all the games including bowls or face penalties.

Here's hoping McCaffrey and Fournette have pro careers that are unremarkable.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

:lol: Hypocrites.
Go Bucs, Gators
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:Whole lotta me, me, me in this thread. As one who actually played college I have a huge problem with players skipping Bowl games. If you accept the scholarship then you play the schedule the school lays out. Period. What's next, guys are only going to play in the marquee matchups because taking snaps against left right upper directional state isn't on TV in prime time?

Further look no further than Clowney. Dude made a highlight play in a bowl game that was replayed for 4 months leading up to the draft. You want to make yourself ready for the draft, best thing you can do is go out and prove yourself in a bowl game.

Granted there are plenty of issues with the current scholarship process and I have listed them here previously. I will continue to lend my voice to fixing these issues, but at the same time I would support language that required players to play all the games including bowls or face penalties.

Here's hoping McCaffrey and Fournette have pro careers that are unremarkable.
I'd agree if Bowl games were meaningful. All the meaning has been sucked out of them for the reasons listed above.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I'd like a six team playoff and only ten other bowl games with no conference tie ins. Let the committee select those twenty teams for optimal national interest and commercial viability. Let teams who get to six wins have their extra two weeks of practice.

The six team playoff with byes for the top 2 would leave something to play for in each position still. The regular season would remain very meaningful. Bowl games would be interesting again with more top 25 match ups.

I love college football but I'm only watching my second bowl game of the season right now as I type this because the other match ups aren't worth wasting five hours of my life on repetitive Capital One commercials.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

seems pretty BS to me. nothing is usual with Fournette and LSU....so i give that one a pass. one more on the bill.

McCaffery seems so calculated and crass money-wise.....that feels unpleasant. consider me a "not Mccaffery fan" henceforth, and he's a local CO kid.

i think if you are on a team then you play when they play.

rack Bryce Love and the Cardinal however.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

When coaches can ditch their programs before a bowl game to take another job...why can't a player with NFL aspirations look out for themselves? I don't think paying the players is going to keep a star from skipping a late-December bowl game. The program already made it's money off the player anyway. Bowl games are the NIT of college football. You either look at it as another chance to get themselves some exposure or they protect themselves from further injury.

I do respect Cook for playing last night...he could've easily sat out the Orange Bowl. He doesn't have anything to prove but he only helps himself the more you watch him play. Dude can play as a wideout and catch passes on top of being an electric runner. He and McCaffrey are going to have great NFL careers because of their versatility. Whether McCaffrey played in the Sun Bowl or not...you know what he is as a player.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Shoalzie wrote:When coaches can ditch their programs before a bowl game to take another job...why can't a player with NFL aspirations look out for themselves?
that's a fair point for sure. however, that doesn't mean it's a logic we should admire.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

So would you rather have a coach stay thru the bowl game when his head isn't there? Have him running practices that he doesn't care how well prepared they get?

There is a huge difference between coaches and players. Coaches are doing a job to pay their mortgage. College athletes have no bills to worry about and are playing a game. If a coaches contract or buyout allows him to take another job so be it. College athletes shouldn't be able to skip games.

Apples and garbage trucks comparing coaches and players.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Again, you are a hypocrite if you are condemning this practice...get off your fucking horse already...
Go Bucs, Gators
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, why don't you explain how everyone is a "hypocrite," since you're really shitty at trying to make a point?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

schmick wrote:
Coaches dont risk injury and their future earning potential. Unless it is a playoff, a bowl game is pretty much meaningless to a player leaving the shcool when the game is over.

Once a player declares for the draft, they are no longer a college player
Wrong. Coaches risk their future earnings each time their team takes the field. And if Bowl games are meaningless if they aren't part of the playoff, then so were the last 9 games of USC's season. All of their Seniors who are going to the draft or potential tryouts along with any Jrs leaving early might as well skipped the remaining games to avoid injury and a hit to their future earnings.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:So would you rather have a coach stay thru the bowl game when his head isn't there? Have him running practices that he doesn't care how well prepared they get?

There is a huge difference between coaches and players. Coaches are doing a job to pay their mortgage. College athletes have no bills to worry about and are playing a game. If a coaches contract or buyout allows him to take another job so be it. College athletes shouldn't be able to skip games.

Apples and garbage trucks comparing coaches and players.
One of my friends from childhood was a contemporary football player at OU with me, don't tell me he didn't have bills to pay or a need for money. That's a load of bunk and forgive me for saying so but a very privileged mindset. At least half these kids come from nothing; winter clothing isn't free, transportation in small towns is rare, and they can't hold jobs like normal students.

I respect your perspective of being a college athlete but that was also a completely different era of college sports. Walter Byers wrote the rules "amateur" athletes compete under more than sixty years ago for the most part and anyone who feels the need can look up his final public speech and his thoughts on the cultural differences from then to closer to contemporary.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

King Crimson wrote: that's a fair point for sure. however, that doesn't mean it's a logic we should admire.
Speak for yourself, Vandy grad.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

SunCoastSooner wrote: One of my friends from childhood was a contemporary football player at OU with me, don't tell me he didn't have bills to pay or a need for money. That's a load of bunk and forgive me for saying so but a very privileged mindset. At least half these kids come from nothing; winter clothing isn't free, transportation in small towns is rare, and they can't hold jobs like normal students.

I respect your perspective of being a college athlete but that was also a completely different era of college sports. Walter Byers wrote the rules "amateur" athletes compete under more than sixty years ago for the most part and anyone who feels the need can look up his final public speech and his thoughts on the cultural differences from then to closer to contemporary.
What bills does a college athlete have that don't come from vanity items? Their housing is paid for (sometimes off campus), unlimited food is paid for, school supplies are paid for, books are paid for, they get clothes like no one business. Further the clothes aren't limited to workout gear. Players today get everything from flip flops to suits. Maybe the school doesn't hand out a pair of jeans, but damn near everything else they need for winter wear is provided. Long sleeve polo type shirt with the logo? Check. Winter jacket with the logo? Check. Stocking cap? Check. Gloves? Check.

As for the claim that some of these kids came from nothing is true but also ignores the fact that they have far more as college athletes than they did as high school athletes. So just because they moved from High School to college why are they suddenly struggling so much when their living expenses are paid for?

And yes they are not allowed to work under normal circumstances. But let's not kid ourselves. There are plenty of ways for players to earn money that are completely legal and get them far more money than they would earn in a 20 a week job. Perfect example is multiple trips through the food line. They aren't charged for food and can eat unlimited meals. Player goes thru the line a second time and loads up and then walks into the eating area and sells the tray to a fellow student who doesn't have a meal plan for a few bucks. Or players sell their books at the end of the semester which were brand new and pocket the cash. Or they sell their parking passes to fellow students. Etc, etc, etc.

You can call my view privileged and I will call yours entitled. These kids are getting hundreds of thousands in benefits for playing a game and you say it isn't enough. If that is the case don't sign the LOI or accept the scholarship.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

At least you are consistent.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

schmick wrote:Admire it or not, it is what it is. I'll get upset about players doing it when the grown men who recruited and mentored these kids stop doing it
:bode:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown