Houston CFB pilgrimage. Labor Day weekend. Thoughts/advice?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Houston CFB pilgrimage. Labor Day weekend. Thoughts/advice?

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Long story short: Met a girl from Houston and fell pretty hard for her. It got me looking for an excuse to visit H-Town. Hardcore CFB mark that I am, my first thought was to look up the early-season schedules for both Rice and Houston. Checked Rice first, and the obvious choice seemed like a Friday night game against Baylor on Sept. 16. Then I looked at the UH schedule and, lo and behold, there's this thing they call the Advocare Texas Kickoff on Saturday, Sept. 3. Houston Cougars taking on some non-conference cupcake whose name escapes me at the moment. Opening week game with real NC implications. Labor Day weekend makes more sense from a work standpoint, too.

So basically, unless Lefty can make a ridiculously compelling case for the Rice/Baylor game, I'm looking to be in Houston for an extended Labor Day weekend. Probably fly in on Wed or Thurs and leave on Tues.

First things first, to Lefty and Go Coogs', if either or both of you want to grab a beer or two, first round's on me. It's always fun to finally put a face with a screen name that you've known for damn-near 20 years. (That last sentence just made me feel really old.) Are there any other Houston residents on this board? If so, same offer applies.

Any suggestions on "can't miss" type of stuff in Houston, like favorite restaurants, dive bars with great local music, etc.? I realize it's the 4th largest city in the nation and I'm not gonna be able to take it all in in five or six days, but I'm open to whatever suggestions you guys throw my way.

Also, if any of you guys have a connection on good seats for the game, shoot me a PM. I'm not looking for a handout. I'll gladly fork over some caysh for decent seats. It's not sold out yet, but the seats available on Ticketmaster weren't the greatest, so I figured it was at least worth checking to see if any of you fools have an inside source.

Last but not least, is anybody else thinking about going to this game?
"Keys, woman!"
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Re: Houston CFB pilgrimage. Labor Day weekend. Thoughts/advi

Post by Go Coogs' »

Hey, Mike.

I have season tickets to the Coogs this season. I might have one free ticket available, but its highly unlikely considering the opponent. I'll check and see what is available through my mom's university staff privileges as far as seats go. Plenty of good eats and bars to hang out on Washington Avenue in the Heights area and downtown. There are yuppie bars and dive bars for watching all the CFB you want on Labor Day weekend. I'm sure I'll be tailgating all day Saturday, so we can arrange something for you to come by an eat some good BBQ and drink some good ass Texas beer while taking part in some ladder ball and some bean bag toss.

If you're interested in venturing out to the northern suburbs on Friday or Sunday, my wife is a manager of a bar that serves great food and has a lot of locally crafted beers. They're probably not up to Dins' standards, but I find the beers to be really tasty and unique in their own little way.

My favorite restaurants in Houston:
Original Ninfa's/El Tiempo
Taste of Texas
REEF
Lankford Grocery (best burger EVER)
J Blacks
Pluckers
Max's Wine Dive (best Sunday brunch)
The Breakfast Klub

Hit me up
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Sounds like a great weekend.

I have some tickets for that game as a few OU friends and I were thinking about attending and then heading to Austin on Sunday for the UT vs ND game Sunday night. Let me check with them to see if they are still planning on coming and if then we can go from there.

Where are you staying while in Houston or surrounding areas? Is the new girlfriend wanting to go to the game as well?

Don't buy anything yet, I will be in touch soon.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Awesome. Thanks guys! I'll hold off on tickets for now. I would like to bring the girl with me to the game. And definitely interested in some tailgating. I'll post more details as they become available.
"Keys, woman!"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Booked the flight. Flying in late Wednesday night (8/31) and leaving Tuesday afternoon (9/6).

Edited. D'oh!
Last edited by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Keys, woman!"
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Booked the flight. Flying in late Wednesday night (8/31) and leaving Tuesday afternoon (8/6).
Looks like you're staying for almost a year.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Goober McTuber wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Booked the flight. Flying in late Wednesday night (8/31) and leaving Tuesday afternoon (8/6).
Looks like you're staying for almost a year.
Ha! I do like this girl a lot, but I'm not sure my employer would be too happy about that, to say nothing of my furry kids. Fixed it. Thanks.
"Keys, woman!"
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Ok, for sure don't buy any tickets to the game. I have two with your name on them. Not sure what section yet but they will be on the OU side for sure.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Left Seater wrote:Ok, for sure don't buy any tickets to the game. I have two with your name on them. Not sure what section yet but they will be on the OU side for sure.
Awesome! Thanks man. Let me know how much they are. Looking forward to it!
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i've actually spoken with Mike on the phone....he's a good guy.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

GFY! Cupcake my ass... sorry drunkard! :wink:

I MAY go to the game myself but with other things going on in my life it's a coin flip at best. Only game written in stone for me is Ohio State and that's mostly because it coincides with work for me in the area and my youngest child's first birthday meeting family.

Was trying to find a thread that would be appropriate for me to pop in on and this was about it; you guys are better at sticking to a subject these days... everyone got old I suppose. Been too long and someone from the crew did something to remind me to check in before the season. Catholics are good at reminding people to feel guilty about stuff... :hfal:

My life has changed dramatically since I last regularly posted here. New ball & chain (not really so new, been together for many years now), more kids of my own, raising some of my nieces and nephews as well. Still in real estate valuation but a side gig has taken it over as my actual "line of work."

Not sure how to describe what I do these days to derive a living... Sports reform social advocate, writer, consultant to a number of small soccer clubs from domestic lower division professional levels down to youth clubs focused on developing kids in the game, to even a few overseas clubs pertaining to their operations (possible operations) here in America. I get to travel a lot, many want me to travel more but I like seeing my family. Last few years I've appeared on ESPN radio a couple of times, appear as a guest on a number of obscure podcasts none of you have ever heard of. Been tagged as a leading expert in American "Soccernomics."

Currently preparing to help a campaign for a gentleman who intends to run for USSF President in 2018. My life has changed... let the soccer jokes begin and Boomer Sooner!
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sudden Sam wrote:Your post sounds mighty upbeat, SCS. Glad things are going well for you.
Life is good right now. I aim to keep it that way. Working with more humans on a daily basis makes ya realize life could be worse. lol
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

SunCoastSooner wrote:appear as a guest on a number of obscure podcasts none of you have ever heard of.
Such as?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:appear as a guest on a number of obscure podcasts none of you have ever heard of.
Such as?
Flakoglost, a general soccer pod focusing on soccer reform in North America (Promotion and Relegation mostly), but Colorado Rapids and Harpo's FC (local D5 club in Denver area) discussion as well.

Gorilla Talk, Atlanta Silverbacks pod who are formerly of the NASL but now play in the NPSL (D4).

Feurenstein's Fire, General soccer and Red Bulls New York.

Heart & Hand, Rangers FC who are now back in Scottish Premier League and I've been a fan/supporter of basically my entire life. My grandmother's family is a somewhat famous family in Glasgow and Ayr because of ancestors.

Leicester City Football Forum, Foxes football obviously... I predicted them to make champions league at start of season and then win the title in September seriously. That's part of what built much of my English/British following over the last year.

100% LCFC, Leicester City, same reasons as above.

The Naked Football Show, Ipswich Town centered pod who play in the English Championship currently.

Year Zero, soccer reform and youth development pod.

Have had a couple more requests for other shows popping up recently because of the lawsuit just filed against the Major League Soccer Player's Union and MLS in Dallas on Friday and the ProRel debate starting to get larger in America now. Both subjects in my specific wheelhouse because of my areas of expertise and articles I have written. I'd like to spread those out though... not to mention I have a little one right now that isn't at a quiet stage just yet so my available hours aren't always optimal for recording.

In discussions to be a regular on a show because of my breadth of knowledge on player development overseas, lack of Training Comp and Solidarity Fees in North America, and general "Soccernomics." Don't want to name drop on that because it just came up and don't want to screw it up or jinx it.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

SunCoastSooner,

Welcome back, old friend, and thanks for bailing me out! I had already PMed Lefty and Coogs' to let them know I wasn't going to make this trip after all, but I was too ashamed to admit to the whole forum that the Houston bitch dumped me. I was all set to let this thread just fade away into the sunset, but then you come riding in on your white horse and proudly proclaim your love for...

...soccer?!?!?

Thanks for making my admission the second-most embarrassing revelation in this thread. :oops:

This dude in my dynasty league is a big soccer fan and I never miss an opportunity to bust his balls for it. We made a bet on which would draw higher Neilsen ratings between Monday Night Raw on 6/20 or USA/Ecuador on 6/16. Needless to say, I won $5 and the naming rights to his team for the first two weeks of the season.
"Keys, woman!"
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Always be searching for the silver lining....At LEAST you don't have to go to Houston. We met once in Santa Clarita with LAX...Now that I'm a desert dweller, we can maybe meet up again & you can pour your heart out about Houston beeyotch.
E PLURIBUS PLURIBUS
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

The Seer wrote:Always be searching for the silver lining....At LEAST you don't have to go to Houston. We met once in Santa Clarita with LAX...Now that I'm a desert dweller, we can maybe meet up again & you can pour your heart out about Houston beeyotch.
Welcome to the blast furnace, man! How long have you been living out here? We should absolutely grab a beer sometime. I'll try to spare you the whiny-ass sob story, unless one or two beers turns into three or four. Haha.
"Keys, woman!"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:SunCoastSooner,

Welcome back, old friend, and thanks for bailing me out! I had already PMed Lefty and Coogs' to let them know I wasn't going to make this trip after all, but I was too ashamed to admit to the whole forum that the Houston bitch dumped me. I was all set to let this thread just fade away into the sunset, but then you come riding in on your white horse and proudly proclaim your love for...

...soccer?!?!?

Thanks for making my admission the second-most embarrassing revelation in this thread. :oops:

This dude in my dynasty league is a big soccer fan and I never miss an opportunity to bust his balls for it. We made a bet on which would draw higher Neilsen ratings between Monday Night Raw on 6/20 or USA/Ecuador on 6/16. Needless to say, I won $5 and the naming rights to his team for the first two weeks of the season.
I grew up playing soccer as much as I played baseball or wrestled. My father hated it but wouldn't buck me doing it for fear he'd be demonized by his mother's family for not allowing me. Psssssstttttt, soccer is a MUCH more difficult and physically demanding sport than baseball (not even close). Like I said before, much of my grandmother's family are Scottish, love soccer and Rugby. I'm past the shaming of it from the jingoistic Napoleon complex of old Amerian farts, it's okay, you'll all be dead soon. :hfal:

That bet was stupid, Raw outdraws everything but NBA playoffs and football right now. But English soccer gets better ratings than MLB routinely now as well. :wink:

I also enjoy Rugby a lot but never played; have a cousin who played Rugby league for Glasgow Warriors and another who played Rugby Union in both Scotland and Wales.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Oh, I'm not going to make the Houston game myself either... wife vetoed it. Apparently some cousins of her's will be in town and two of them are Oklahoma grads who are looking forward to watching the game with us (ME) at our house.

I don't blame them though, I have a magnificent man cave/den these days that we've slowly been building for me. We moved a few years ago to an area where we could get more house for less; a little farther from the water these days. I'll have to take some pictures of it some time but I have a 64 inch behemoth flanked by two 48 inchers that slide out in front of book shelves, with other TVs scattered in a room that is large and rectangular and connected to the main kitchen in an open design only separated by a small bar. The baby has a little 12x10 ft play pen we designed for her terrorizing right there as well... it's the tits.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

SunCoastSooner wrote: That bet was stupid, Raw outdraws everything but NBA playoffs and football right now. But English soccer gets better ratings than MLB routinely now as well. :wink:
We only made the bet because I was going to that particular Raw. Of course, I didn't pass up an opportunity to take a jab at both him and Roman Reigns at the same time:

Coincidentally, that was the same night that Houston girl dumped me. Nothing like front row seats facing the main camera to take your mind off a broken heart, if only for a few hours. If I told you how much they cost, that would probably trump your soccer fetish as the most embarrassing revelation in this thread.
"Keys, woman!"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote: That bet was stupid, Raw outdraws everything but NBA playoffs and football right now. But English soccer gets better ratings than MLB routinely now as well. :wink:
We only made the bet because I was going to that particular Raw. Of course, I didn't pass up an opportunity to take a jab at both him and Roman Reigns at the same time:

Coincidentally, that was the same night that Houston girl dumped me. Nothing like front row seats facing the main camera to take your mind off a broken heart, if only for a few hours. If I told you how much they cost, that would probably trump your soccer fetish as the most embarrassing revelation in this thread.

I've been raising my nieces and nephews on and off for a number of years, my father-in-law and myself have taken the boys to a number of WWE events... I understand the cost. lol
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sudden Sam wrote:You have to pay to attend that shit?!

:grin:
My sentiments exactly... but yes, and some outrageous prices for decent seats. lol
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
The Seer wrote:Always be searching for the silver lining....At LEAST you don't have to go to Houston. We met once in Santa Clarita with LAX...Now that I'm a desert dweller, we can maybe meet up again & you can pour your heart out about Houston beeyotch.
Welcome to the blast furnace, man! How long have you been living out here? We should absolutely grab a beer sometime. I'll try to spare you the whiny-ass sob story, unless one or two beers turns into three or four. Haha.
Check your pm's....
E PLURIBUS PLURIBUS