Conf expansion prediction

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Re: Conf expansion prediction

Post by MuchoBulls »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Left Seater wrote:If the Big XII does expand, their fist two targets should be Central and South Florida.
Why two Florida schools? Conference expansion is largely about adding new TV markets and those two schools are only separated by 100 miles.
The combined TV markets of Tampa and Orlando would make it the 5th largest TV market in the country (Tampa currently 11th/Orlando currently 19th). USF doesn't have much reach in Orlando and UCF does have much reach in Tampa, so you take both.

Also, each program is a travel partner for the other sports within the Big XII. Adding Cincinnati (and USF and UCF to a lesser extent) would help WVU with this issue as well.

It wouldn't hurt getting a foothold in this states recruiting hotbed either. It would be much easier to land a kid and tell them they can go back to FL once a year to play.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

MuchoBulls wrote:It wouldn't hurt getting a foothold in this states recruiting hotbed either. It would be much easier to land a kid and tell them they can go back to FL once a year to play.
Agreed, I just think one Florida school would suffice. They could conceivably get cable subscriptions in both the Tampa and Orlando markets with just the addition of one of those two schools. Paired with the Salt Lake City (BYU) market, that expands their geographic footprint of the conference much further.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

So Cougar High and or SMU are nonstarters then based on your take?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

MuchoBulls wrote:It wouldn't hurt getting a foothold in this states recruiting hotbed either. It would be much easier to land a kid and tell them they can go back to FL once a year to play.
Agreed, I just think one Florida school would suffice. They could conceivably get cable subscriptions in both the Tampa and Orlando markets with just the addition of one of those two schools. Paired with the Salt Lake City (BYU) market, that expands their geographic footprint of the conference much further.
You take both programs based on easier travel (the big reason why Cincinnati may the leader for expansion to assist WVU).

I certainly understand the appeal of BYU, but can't see them being invited if you're adding more teams in the Eastern Time Zone. The Salt Lake market brings nothing compared to Tampa, Orlando, and Cincinnati.

I see the Big XII going to expand by 4 programs and they would take Cincinnati, USF, UCF, and Houston. I know Memphis gets mentioned a good deal, but they are not in that big of a marke and are horrible academically. FedEx $$$$ is the only reason they are being mentioned.

If the big XII decides to add only 2, then BYU has a better chance.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

UConn would cause the same issue/problem that WVU has. Plus, they don't capture the New York, or Boston TV markets they way they say they do. If this was a Basketball move, then they would be in a better position.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MuchoBulls wrote:UConn would cause the same issue/problem that WVU has. Plus, they don't capture the New York, or Boston TV markets they way they say they do. If this was a Basketball move, then they would be in a better position.
Agree. I see a ton of bitching and moaning about the Olympic sports with UConn in the conference.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

KC Scott wrote:I have zero fucks to give about the Big 12 since Mizzou left, and it's their level of desperation to agree to a football only deal with the Mormons that's newsworthy

Now all they need to do is add a commuter school like Houston or Memphis and their destiny to become the next conference USA will be complete

Oh and before I forget - Fuck Texas and Fuck the former powers that be in the Big 12 for destroying it
the original conference USA was a blast to watch in hoops.

i personally am finding it hard to care about college sports as it comes to advertising dollars and population density. the old Big 8 had little population density and national championships from 3 schools/teams in it's last decade (OU, NU, CU). was sending 5 teams to the NCAA tournament all through the 80's and 90's. good sports. now it's all about advertising and population density and spending money arms races.

that's who we are now. tv deals, chicken wings ads and iphones. pokemon.

fuck Texas but they were just being Texas. they think it's all about them....they don't know any better.

BYU, Cincy, Memphis, Tulane i saw in another place....all a yawner to me. Tulane? for the academic rep...they say. Tulane is not better than Rice or SMU. and Rice is a lot better than SMU. weak jab into SEC country.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Having a FB only member just make no sense in my mind. It weakens the league perception.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Big XII is apparently moving up their decision timetable, so that makes me feel a little uneasy that USF is going to be left out.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Left Seater wrote:If the Big XII does expand, their fist two targets should be Central and South Florida.
Why two Florida schools? Conference expansion is largely about adding new TV markets and those two schools are only separated by 100 miles.
The combined TV markets of Tampa and Orlando would make it the 5th largest TV market in the country (Tampa currently 11th/Orlando currently 19th). USF doesn't have much reach in Orlando and UCF does have much reach in Tampa, so you take both.

Also, each program is a travel partner for the other sports within the Big XII. Adding Cincinnati (and USF and UCF to a lesser extent) would help WVU with this issue as well.

It wouldn't hurt getting a foothold in this states recruiting hotbed either. It would be much easier to land a kid and tell them they can go back to FL once a year to play.
Oklahoma already gets about 50% on the kids it recruits in Florida... I don't see us seeking out many more than we already do after adding two commuter schools.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

USF is far from a commuter school.

USF was just awarded an emerging preeminent designation in the state. UF and FSU are the only 2 preeminent universities in Florida and USF is expected to join them within the next 2 years.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:
KC Scott wrote:I have zero fucks to give about the Big 12 since Mizzou left, and it's their level of desperation to agree to a football only deal with the Mormons that's newsworthy

Now all they need to do is add a commuter school like Houston or Memphis and their destiny to become the next conference USA will be complete

Oh and before I forget - Fuck Texas and Fuck the former powers that be in the Big 12 for destroying it
the original conference USA was a blast to watch in hoops.

i personally am finding it hard to care about college sports as it comes to advertising dollars and population density. the old Big 8 had little population density and national championships from 3 schools/teams in it's last decade (OU, NU, CU). was sending 5 teams to the NCAA tournament all through the 80's and 90's. good sports. now it's all about advertising and population density and spending money arms races.

that's who we are now. tv deals, chicken wings ads and iphones. pokemon.

fuck Texas but they were just being Texas. they think it's all about them....they don't know any better.

BYU, Cincy, Memphis, Tulane i saw in another place....all a yawner to me. Tulane? for the academic rep...they say. Tulane is not better than Rice or SMU. and Rice is a lot better than SMU. weak jab into SEC country.
I wouldn't mind BYU if it were all sports at all... the rest are a giant meh to me.

I'm going to the Ohio State game but this may be the last year I keep season tickets unless my sisters are going to pony up the cash for their husbands and sons to attend more than 90% of the home match ups, and I mean a chunk of the donation and licensing fee as well. This isn't going to happen without my father basically doing it for them and he is struggling with justifying the increase himself for his personal tickets which he is moving into south end zone club zone for the buffet, drinks, and to socialize with all the other old bluenoses.

The program and AD are feeling the pressure; the myth of the waiting list and people like me who have paid like slot machines for close to 20 years, or more, being easily replaceable, has been exposed as exactly that this off season. I don't know about KC and his family but I'm getting an email a week from Mossman, and/or the AD, pimping three game packages, and now single game tickets. With the exuberant price increases coming over the next three years I don't know if the tickets I already have are even worth keeping to see Big 12 football and one marquee out of conference game every other year at home. When it comes down to it, I have daughters, and mostly nieces otherwise, they don't care about American football; they watch, and play, soccer and competitive swimming (NBCSN and BeIn have American Grand Prix and international swim meets almost every other weekend now). My oldest nephew doesn't care about traveling for half the day or more to see a football game that's going to be on national TV every weekend and still be able to see Allbarn as well (puke in my mouth as type that but his grandfather played football at Auburn so I deal with it). I can get way more out of my money, for my entire family, by going to NASL soccer on weekends with a stop at Disney World or Universal Studios along the way, and it be beneficial to other projects in my daily life at the same time, for close to the same cost. This rather than dumping more money into a program that doesn't play entertaining opponents but rarely with a donation and licensing fee the likes of the SEC... rotating Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Taco Tech, TCU, Baylor, and Okie Light, at home isn't SEC football no matter how even I spin it. And fuck you Joe C and Kenny Mossman for you assholes trying to peddle to me that they're anything comparable. Those schools travel to away games and create an atmosphere worth attending even if the rest of it is over-hyped.
Last edited by SunCoastSooner on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The Big 12 jumped the shark when they added West Virginia. Now they are seriously considering adding UCONN? Cincinnati? BYU? Give me a break. No regional identity, no tradition and no clue. That's your new Big 12.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Must be a regional thing, young girls wanting to attend NASL soccer.

My wife's company signed on to sponsor the team here in San Antonio once the Spurs took over. They didn't do it because the soccer was a great place to advertise. They did it because the Spurs give ad breaks for the NBA to those who support soccer. As such we have a handful of suite tickets to each game and my wife has a hard time finding executives who will be the host and an even harder time giving away the free tickets. Our neighbors on two sides have school age girls and they never want to go.

Soccer "works" here because of the large Hispanic population.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:
Soccer "works" here because of the large Hispanic population.
June 23 SAFC vs Orange County

I hear old white men say this all the time, yet every match I've been to for San Antonio Scorpions (now defunct), SAFC (USL, replaced Scorpions), Rio Grande Valley, Houston Dynamo, Rayo OKC, OKC Energy, Tulsa Roughnecks, Tulsa Athletics, Sporting KC, Swope Park Rangers (KC USL), Saint Louis FC, Louisville, Minnesota United, Indy 11, and Charleston Battery, I see either even or overwhelmingly white males under 30 and white families with heads of household under 35 in attendance.

SAFC, the OKC clubs, Tulsa Roughnecks, and Indy 11, all draw similar, or greater, numbers than their local minor league baseball teams. Individual soccer matches on ESPN and FOX have had greater viewership than individual baseball games for national television this summer.

On Father's Day both the Royals and SKC had sellouts at home and there were fewer empty seats in Overland Park on TV than there were at the K for the defending WS champions.

In fact, the main club in your area of the world who specifically has marketed itself as geared toward Hispanics, is Dallas FC and they have the biggest attendance problems of any of the clubs in the central part of the country, especially when compared to their budget.

Now you can scream at me to get off your lawn... sorry the world has changed on you.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

San Antonio FC is averaging more than 6k fans, in a 9k stadium, to go watch one of the worst sides in division three soccer... literally one of the worst.

People don't line up like that to attend the worst teams in single A baseball anymore and that's the equivalent of SAFC.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

SunCoastSooner wrote:San Antonio FC is averaging more than 6k fans, in a 9k stadium, to go watch one of the worst sides in division three soccer... literally one of the worst.

People don't line up like that to attend the worst teams in single A baseball anymore and that's the equivalent of SAFC.

Let's talk real numbers. Last season the soccer team averaged 6539 over 21 home dates. These were spread out over the months from Feb to Oct. The missions baseball team drew 4269 over 70 home dates from late April thru early September. Both are filling about 70% of their park.

You made the point that the SA team sucks. So does the baseball team. They haven't finished over .500 since 2013. They are also affiliated with San Diego which no one cares about.

The soccer team has a few advantages in their favor. A brand new stadium. A suburban location. A longer season and games outside of the hot summer months.

Anywho, next time you are down this way let me know and we can go to a match together. We will likely have our pick of section. Then we can see if we can give away the extra suite tickets around the sports bars or lunch spots near the house.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

6k+ is a big draw for lower divisions all over the world outside of England and Germany... and even for Germany in the third tier. San Antonio attendance, and soccer at all levels in America, is hurt by MLS's monopoly on D1. To go into great detail on this would take me a novel, countless hours to type up, and in the end would be a waste of my time on a CFB-centric board. Soccer fans in America aren't usually your typical American sports fan though there are crossovers such as myself. In the end, the people running soccer at the top of America want to treat it like a sport they have a global monopoly on like all the other majo sports in our country, which will never work for a variety reasons, not because of it's popularity. There's a reason multiple other leagues, and soccer competitions, are consumed more in America than MLS, and why numerous NASL/USL teams are as big, or bigger, draws than much of MLS... little of it comes down to quality of play in many cases as well. If it's something anyone really wants to delve into they can dive onto twitter and look at the hashtag #ProRelForUSA.

I should be in San Antonio next Spring depending on where all I'm sent or compelled to go when I have a choice in the matter. San Antonio is one of my favorite picks when I have the opportunity; friends and family in the area stretching up to the G-town.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

The more I trek down this rabbit hole, also known as the Big XII expansion arms race, the more I don't want Cougar High to get in. The Grant of Rights language in the Big XII contract is very vague which means Texas would most likely have to pay a huge sum of money to skip to the B1G and their future revenue impact along with OU's with ESPN and Fox would be astronomical. I'm thinking UT is going to stay in the Big XII until 2021 or 2022 when the exit fee is going to be much smaller at that point, but then they are gone. So why in God's name is UofH pitching hard to this shit show of a conference? They should be spending every waking hour catering to the Pac12. Not only that, but they can actually sell their brand and their style of play to the Pac along with their TV market. Houston only poses as a threat to the Big XII and nothing more unless you consider them garnering enough interest in their local market to loosen the grip the SEC currently has in the Bayou City.

I think we all know why UT is backing Houston:

1) Greg Abbott's public support of Houston getting in
2) The Medical Center near UH campus

Houston needs to run as far away as possible from this soap opera and head west. The back room politics at play here is un-fucking-believable.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Some valid points but I don't have a clue why you think UT having a presence in the Med Center in Houston helps UH get in the Big XII. Early next year that presence get reduced when the new Dell Medical teaching hospital opens on the UT campus.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

It's an upgrade for every program wanting to join the Big XII right now. The TV revenue alone makes it worth it to join, even if the conference implodes in 7-8 years.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I don't understand the med school thing at all -- but if having a huge med school is a deciding factor, the welcome to the Big12, USF.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

one of the things i really like about the Missouri and ATM fans about how piss-pleased they are to be in the SEC. they are making money....but they still are still second rung football schools. what they don't realize is every conference needs 5-8 win teams. they've been the same mediocre non-threat to win the conference every once in a while as they were in the Big 8, Big XII and SWC.

as far as the Big XII jumping the shark with WVU...i do sort of agree with that. you don't replace losing Nebraksa, Colorado, Missouri (regionally).... but, the Mountaineers have acquitted themselves pretty well and Holgerson has ties to OSU and Huggy ripped off/cheated at KSU for a season or two. we've seen those guys before. TCU has been pretty damned good in football as well.

i think the next step is where jumping the shark takes place. i also think where i get off in some kind of i remember JC Watts or Turner Gill....sort of way.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Dinsdale wrote:I don't understand the med school thing at all -- but if having a huge med school is a deciding factor, the welcome to the Big12, USF.
We are one of the best research universities in the country, our academic profile is near the top of all the candidates mentioned.

Helps that our market size is the largest after Houston.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

UT wants to build a University of Texas Medical Building on about 332 acres the school purchased just across the bayou from Houston's campus. This is being blocked by a number of counsel members for the city of Houston and supporters of UofH because it is direct competition to the school. They are all denying it, but its kinda funny how UT president, UT AD, the governor, the attorney general and a number of other big names all fell in line to support UofH's invite to the school. Houston will probably agree to drop all the roadblocks its created for UT's land purchase if UT shows public support for Houston being the first school invited to the BigXII.

What's funny is all the speculation and "unknown sources" being thrown around behind the paywall sites, but a lot of things point to UofH getting in and the vote coming earlier than October. Ferritta's $20M check he just wrote for the facelift on Hoffeinz Pavillion (which will now be know as The Fertitta Center) and also their indoor practice facility plans just got approved even though they only have $6.7m of the $20m needed for them to break ground. UH President Khator is placing a big bet on Houston getting a seat at the adult table. I hope it works.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Are you talking about the main UH campus? Any elected official that wanted to block that should be voted out of office yesterday. The area around the UH campus is not anyplace I would walk alone. The third ward to the west and south is some of the toughest neighborhoods in Houston, a highway to the north, a railroad yard to the east. Anything UT wanted to build would bring property taxes to city and county coffers for an area that is sorely lacking.

I volunteered for months at Cuney Homes just across Cullen from UH and was told by the coordinator not to come there after dark.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Left Seater wrote:Are you talking about the main UH campus? Any elected official that wanted to block that should be voted out of office yesterday. The area around the UH campus is not anyplace I would walk alone. The third ward to the west and south is some of the toughest neighborhoods in Houston, a highway to the north, a railroad yard to the east. Anything UT wanted to build would bring property taxes to city and county coffers for an area that is sorely lacking.

I volunteered for months at Cuney Homes just across Cullen from UH and was told by the coordinator not to come there after dark.
You haven't been down there in a while then. Development of townhomes are taking over the 3rd ward. It's still a ways away from getting all the way from 45 to S. McGregor through the TSU campus, but its happening.

I'm not 100% certain what UT's plans are for the 332 acres with the exception that they own the property and its next to UofH's main campus. The UTMB building has been the talk of what they want to do with the property.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

That's good for UH and the city as a whole if they are ripping out the ghetto.

I still don't understand why having a UT Bldg near or next to the UH campus is a bad thing. There are multiple universities represented in the mee center and they don't hurt each other. TSU is a few blocks from UH and Rice is two miles. Those don't seem to be issues.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Rumor is they've narrowed it down to 6-8 schools.

Unofficial list:
BYU
Tulane
SMU
Houston
USF
UCF
SMU
Cincy

I think it's going to be BYU and Cincy or the Florida schools as a package deal.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I think the political pressure is going to hurt Boise. There is no way they are going to change their code.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

This is the latest with the Big XII....
UH is in the driver's seat. ESPN is on our nut sack. Baylor is scared big time. They're siding with the weak sisters knowing the GOR gotta get extended for their survival. But they are playing hard ball with a wiffle ball.
ESPN doesn't want Fox in the east. Fox doesn't want ESPN in the west. But if the B12 ****s this up, ESPN will "Clinton" their ass(don't know that means).
If not B12, UH will land somewhere : ACC or SEC. And we'll be paired with UT when they leave. That's how ESPN wants it. P12 can't expand until GOR expires.
My source says that UH did NOT negotiate the no-money distribution for 5 years, but that UH came to the table with that offer.

My source found that extremely hard to believe, but according to his insider, UH has ESPN's attention and by proxy, UT's attention.
If UT goes to the P12, B10, or ACC, they will be a package. The P12 would not happen until the current GOR expires and ESPN could secure the majority of the PAC 12 inventory. This is why UH made this offer. Myopic's information is good.

My buddy said, "I have a hard time visualizing 2 billion dollars, but to put it on a scale easier for me to comprehend : If I had a $20,000 net worth, I would be making a $5 donation a year. This would be Tilman. I know the other 9 guys he(Myopic) speaks of don't have a $2B net worth, but when you have that kinda jack it is nothing to these guys."

My guy said that UH and Cincy would be in. There is a group of schools trying to push to 14. The networks don't want 14. If there were 14, it would likely be BYU and UConn. Again..ESPN doesn't want Fox in the east and Fox doesn't want ESPN in the west. ESPN would only approve UConn as they would get tax breaks from the state, and they're already a partner with BYU.

Take the info any way ya'll want. Bring on the pitchforks.
ESPN is pushing UH BIG time and when the Big XII dissolves, UT is taking Houston with them. ESPN does not want to lose the Houston market to the west and Fox. Basically, UH, Fertitta and Kantor know their tv market is the Trump card in this whole ordeal and they are playing the long game by nestling up with Texas when they go to a Power 4 format in 2025.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

A market that is already within the Big XII footprint, so adding UH does nothing for the Big XII from that standpoint.

Plus, it's probably safe to assume that all programs outside the state of Texas are not going to vote for another program from Texas.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Intresting post but some of it is outright crap. No way in hell the B1G would take UH. Texas wouldn't turn down a B1G invite over UH either.

I also don't think UH and Texas are nearly as tight as this post makes it seem. There is a reason UH and Texas don't play each other. Texas sued UH for breach of contract back in the early 2000s and won. That cost UH a ton of money and and Texas locked up a long term deal with Rice as a result.

Finally if TF has all this cash and is ready to spend it UH needs to start now. A brand new BBall arena should be on the books and upgrades to the other facilities like baseball and track shoul be close behind.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

MuchoBulls wrote:A market that is already within the Big XII footprint, so adding UH does nothing for the Big XII from that standpoint.

Plus, it's probably safe to assume that all programs outside the state of Texas are not going to vote for another program from Texas.
A market that saw the SEC dominate the tv ratings the last few seasons. Again, UH/OU just scored a 12.8 in the Houston market in a timeslot where other games were being played. UT/ND scored an 11.5 during primetime when no other games were being played. Texas and ESPN realize they've lost the Houston market and want it back. Houston now has the 2nd largest on campus residency in the state; they will be the 3rd largest city in the US by 2022 with a viewership of over 7 million in the region.

LS, where have you been? TF just cut UH a check for $20m for a $60m basketball arena. They've already approved a new indoor practice facility and TF is on record of saying he will financially back stadium expansion once UH is in.

Cougar High no more.

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Good to hear about the new BBall arena. But this just underscores the UH appeal. None of this made the news either in print or tv only 200 miles away. UH just doesn't warrant any attention outside of Houston. Yes their last two wins were huge but no one is SA or Dallas is talking about UH today.

The Cougar High reference was never about facilities although until a few years ago they played football in a HS stadium. Rather it has always been about the academics. This is the number one reason they would not be accepted in the B1G.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Left Seater wrote:Good to hear about the new BBall arena. But this just underscores the UH appeal. None of this made the news either in print or tv only 200 miles away. UH just doesn't warrant any attention outside of Houston. Yes their last two wins were huge but no one is SA or Dallas is talking about UH today.

The Cougar High reference was never about facilities although until a few years ago they played football in a HS stadium. Rather it has always been about the academics. This is the number one reason they would not be accepted in the B1G.
Again, where the hell have you been? They are Tier 1 and the new incoming freshman class, 77% signed up for a 4 year graduation program. Houston is on pace to graduate 70% of their student body on time. That is higher than most B1G schools.

Your Cougar High reference is way off base and now I understand you're just using old information and it makes you look like a dumbass.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Go Coogs' wrote:A market that saw the SEC dominate the tv ratings the last few seasons. Again, UH/OU just scored a 12.8 in the Houston market in a timeslot where other games were being played. UT/ND scored an 11.5 during primetime when no other games were being played. Texas and ESPN realize they've lost the Houston market and want it back. Houston now has the 2nd largest on campus residency in the state; they will be the 3rd largest city in the US by 2022 with a viewership of over 7 million in the region.

LS, where have you been? TF just cut UH a check for $20m for a $60m basketball arena. They've already approved a new indoor practice facility and TF is on record of saying he will financially back stadium expansion once UH is in.

Cougar High no more.

I think you're overstating Texas and how they are behind Houston. It's purely poilitical (same thing with Texas Tech lobbing support UH's way) as they know programs like OU and OSU aren't going to vote to expand another program within the state of Texas. TCU was a necessity when they were added. Expansion isn't a necessity for the Big XII now.

Recruiting is where the Big XII is getting beaten badly right now. The way to fix that is to expand into areas where the members of the Big XII aren't bringing in as many recruits.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Whooo. So a whole 23% of the UH students aren't enrolled in a four year degree plan. Out frigging standing.

And they are Tier 1, about damn time. And only 70% of their students are on track to graduate on time? Should be a crap ton more when it is remedial work. And I would totally expect UH to have more kids graduate on time vs B1G schools. Are you really trying to compare UH to B1G on academics?

Now that is funny.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Left Seater wrote:Whooo. So a whole 23% of the UH students aren't enrolled in a four year degree plan. Out frigging standing.

And they are Tier 1, about damn time. And only 70% of their students are on track to graduate on time? Should be a crap ton more when it is remedial work. And I would totally expect UH to have more kids graduate on time vs B1G schools. Are you really trying to compare UH to B1G on academics?

Now that is funny.
What's funny, LS, you've always treated Houston as some sort of shitstain who had no business playing on the big stage with the big boys. You're using old information to just degrade Houston, yet when I call you out on every incorrect point you've brought up about them you resort changing the narrative. I never compared UofH to the B1G in academics. I only compared them to graduation rates which is a very important criteria used in the expansion process. Houston just raised their GPA requirements for enrollment, so what else you got?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Go Coogs' wrote:
What's funny, LS, you've always treated Houston as some sort of shitstain
Yup, and I will continue.

I never compared UofH to the B1G in academics.
Maybe not directly but you have indirectly by saying Cougar High would follow Texas to the B1G. No way the B1G takes them for a number of reasons, academics being just one.
I only compared them to graduation rates which is a very important criteria used in the expansion process.
Link?

Houston just raised their GPA requirements for enrollment
So they are now on par with what? Lamar, Sam Houston? Congrats on raising your entrance requirements to mediocre.